Active Topics

Originally Posted by hackfanatic View Post
I believe this phone still has the potential to be an iphone killer... ppl all round the world still have their eyes on this device.. The OS is awesome, but not what end users are looking for..

I really don't get what nokia is upto ?!
this is just the right statement and i agree with you a 1000%, i dont think there is any competition for this device when it comes to its hardware, its one of a kind. But it will become flawless and a mega hit if we load it with strogn software and apps.

Originally Posted by junooni View Post
this is just the right statement and i agree with you a 1000%, i dont think there is any competition for this device when it comes to its hardware, its one of a kind. But it will become flawless and a mega hit if we load it with strogn software and apps.
On the contrary, the N900's hardware is nothing special. It shares a CPU with the Palm Pre and DROID, among others. The DROID has more NAND for the rootfs, and other phones have more RAM.

The key thing about the N900 has always been its software stack, which is built on existing open source technologies instead of proprietary stacks or re-inventing the wheel.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
On the contrary, the N900's hardware is nothing special. It shares a CPU with the Palm Pre and DROID, among others. The DROID has more NAND for the rootfs, and other phones have more RAM.

The key thing about the N900 has always been its software stack, which is built on existing open source technologies instead of proprietary stacks or re-inventing the wheel.
perhaps ur right.. but i tell u from a non-geeky point of view, i dont find these specs in any fone at the moment,
dual camera for video conferencing, dedicated camera with dual led flash with carl zaiess lens, dual fm transmitter, amazing qwerty kboard, video quality.

I think its funny that some people buy a phone with a completely new os and expect a gazillion apps on the spot. When the iPhone came out, I doubt there were a 100 apps at the start. Same thing with the g1. People seem quick to forget the fact that the maemo 5 is a n00b in the smartphone game. There's no way it can compete with the iPhone or the android at this point.

What it does have that the others don't is potential? That potential is dependent on the consumers. If people are willing to help the device grow (I.e. Contribute to app development) then the phone will be a success.

I can't code or anything close to it but when i was proud to show off my contributions to the development of witter. It might not be much but it is something. When I got the n900, I was stuck with Dabr and brizzly. Now i have witter and tweego.

If you want an app suggest it. Contribute to its development. Don't just sit on your computer and go off on how there are no apps

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Without taking a position on either side, I would say that maemo was probably the best positioned OS for an expanding definition of mobile computing. The much maligned Eldar Murtizan had an article where he spoke of their vertical strategy of having an OS going throughout the product line.

Nokia has the capability in 2011 of having a diverse product portfolio consisting of low priced but very capable smartphones with Symbian for developing markets and ex-feature phone users. You can see this in their announcement of sub $200 qwerty devices.
Next you have Meego powering their high end smartphones/tablets/netbooks and whatever else. Nokia has the entire OVI ecosystem (music, files, email, maps, PIM) to deploy across a system of phones and netbooks. Nokia seems to not want to play the one device game so integrating the crossplatform development using Qt was cooked up as their answer to fragmented development.

Basically Nokia is losing the 2010 battle and others have caught up so far, but they have a much better chance at success later in the year (Q4) going into 2011, whether they succeed or not remains to be seen. The lucky thing for them is that as they well know the mobile world moves in 12-18 month cycles and things can go really well for them very quickly even though their last few quarters have been disappointing.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Gerbick, Texrat, I think we are basically agreeing on different perspectives of the same thing. Thanks to everybody to such a constructive and great thread, I really enjoyed it.

Just to make one more thing clearer, when Texrat reffered to 'the beast' and 'might drag us with it', I understood that he is refering to the way the environment changes. Vendors can suddenly control the only way any content comes to my device - this is a nightmare.

To me, its not about root. It is about control over content. Control over anything you see - or not - on your phone. Pros and Contras of a walled garden (take a gated community) are obvious, we all know that. Problem is, this kind of power would require a wise king. Well, anybody remembers why we do not have kings anymore? And BTW, APPL really is NOT the one I would like to see there.

Regarding this and the fact that 'mobile phones' have evolved to 'Smartphones' and are evolving at even higher speed, becoming the #1 device for any kind of content consumption, I personally have to say that I really fear this kind of control.

Best regards,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Bingo, Corwin, thanks for making it clearer!

EDIT: here's what I find interesting-- change the context a bit and the people supporting controlled content might oppose it. Why is control okay on phones but not desktops? The only real difference these days is mobility. But people will insist their desktop internet should be open (via universal browser) yet be okay with a phone that restricts them. No straw man, either-- I've seen it.

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Basically Nokia is losing the 2010 battle and others have caught up so far, but they have a much better chance at success later in the year (Q4) going into 2011, whether they succeed or not remains to be seen. The lucky thing for them is that as they well know the mobile world moves in 12-18 month cycles and things can go really well for them very quickly even though their last few quarters have been disappointing.
Hey-- quit hacking my draft blog articles!

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-04-22 at 18:58.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I think its funny that some people buy a phone with a completely new os and expect a gazillion apps on the spot. When the iPhone came out, I doubt there were a 100 apps at the start. Same thing with the g1. People seem quick to forget the fact that the maemo 5 is a n00b in the smartphone game. There's no way it can compete with the iPhone or the android at this point.
It's also funny that N900 owners here don't realize that Maemo is already 5 years old. I came much before iPhone OS and Android. Sure, Maemo didn't have phone functionality in the beginning but so what? How many applications depend on the phone functionality anyway? IMO, this is not good excuse why the Maemo platform is behind the rest in application development.

Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
It's also funny that N900 owners here don't realize that Maemo is already 5 years old. I came much before iPhone OS and Android. Sure, Maemo didn't have phone functionality in the beginning but so what? How many applications depend on the phone functionality anyway? IMO, this is not good excuse why the Maemo platform is behind the rest in application development.
From what I understand maemo 5 =\= previous iterations of maemo. The 770, 800 and 810 have more in common than they do with the 900.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Maemo as an OS is 4+ years old. It is no one's but Nokia's fault that an OS was not developed in FOUR years that could span multiple devices without serious backward compatibility issues,

What it does have that the others don't is potential?
Not sure what you mean by that the other, now more successful alternatives, have no potential but Maemo who have not gained traction in 4+ years have.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source