Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
I just came across the great wiki page on all the Maemo dbus messages. One thing I didn't see was how to "see" XMPP messages incoming. I'd love to be able to detect messages from my home alarm system, and escalate them with an actual device alarm/vibrate--something really attention grabbing. Is there a way to snoop the incoming XMPP messaging texts?

As far as I know, the stock XMPP code (telepathy-gabble I believe handles it) doesn't send any dbus calls. However, telepathy-gabble IS open source so it should be possible to modify it to make it do what you want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
As far as I know, the stock XMPP code (telepathy-gabble I believe handles it) doesn't send any dbus calls. However, telepathy-gabble IS open source so it should be possible to modify it to make it do what you want.
In fact, a quick trip through the source strongly suggests it *does* use the dbus, and dbus-monitor --session captures the details of how it flows through (along with a LOT of other mechanism). So I can probably pick out the events I need without having to build a custom telepathy stack.

Thanks again,
Andy

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Maybe you could add any commands you get working to the wiki page, if you get time.

OOI what are you using to send XMPP messages from your alarm?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.