Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
IANAL, it's not their job (and they don't really violate anything) as the Ovi T&C pins any FOSS license compliancy very specifically to the publisher:
Again, these terms and conditions are only valid between Nokia and the publisher/author. They do not imply that Ovi Store wouldn't have any responsibility concerning the the licenses.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Right, and the default state of the council must be oblivion if they aren't aware of this issue.

But now that Stellarium is available in the store, I guess all is solved! Thanks to the council for its concern; it probably pulled some strings in order to make this happen. Or maybe the benefits of lying fallow have been demonstrated.
this whole thread would be unnecessary if fabien would have done something as hard and time consuming as
stellarium mobile has now been submitted to ovi store
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Again, these terms and conditions are only valid between Nokia and the publisher/author. They do not imply that Ovi Store wouldn't have any responsibility concerning the the licenses.
Oh yes they do imply (that's why legal documents have these wonderful warranty, liability and indemnification clauses, sections 12-14 in this case).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
one thing is for sure. stellarium mobile is getting a lot of ads. i bought and is a nice piece of sw

The Following User Says Thank You to magullo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
this whole thread would be unnecessary if fabien would have done something as hard and time consuming as

That would be just one of the apps that could contribute to the relative success or failure of Nokia's recent Innovators contest.

What and where are the others? How are they licensed? And; Are they also available? are other questions this thread could address if it hadn't got side tracked to a topic that so far none of this threads participants know at least 50% about.

It kind of reads like a transcript from a grade school catechism class.

I for one am all for getting back on topic and perhaps someone can open a new thread in our gossip and legal forums.

Are other contest winners as complete as Stellarium Mobile appears to be?

Do they show the same polish?

Is this what we can expect from a typical program developed in QT?

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-24 at 21:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I tried to request the sources from Ovi Store, but their contact form is broken: It asks me to select a language from an empty (!) list and will not let me proceed without this selection. Nokia is really the most helpless company ever.

Has anyone else tried? I think the sources are available on the project's homepage meanwhile, still I'd like to know how Nokia plans to deal with the situation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I tried to request the sources from Ovi Store, but their contact form is broken: It asks me to select a language from an empty (!) list and will not let me proceed without this selection. Nokia is really the most helpless company ever.

Has anyone else tried? I think the sources are available on the project's homepage meanwhile, still I'd like to know how Nokia plans to deal with the situation.
From stellarium-mobile.org:
http://stellarium-mobile.org/?page_id=3

Source code of the GUI plugin [available as file.tgz to any visitor].

The rest of the code (Maemo optimizations + OpenGL ES port) is already merged in the Stellarium source code trunk available on launchpad.

Thus, all the improvements are available, and somebody could update stellarium in Extras with them. But there is no need to hurry and do so immediately: it would be better to wait for the polished version of the desktop Stellarium to come out.

The GUI plugin could be a separate application in Extras... But let's not publish the plugin until stellarium in Extras is updated to the next version, which includes OpenGL ES port and Maemo optimizations.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
From stellarium-mobile.org:
http://stellarium-mobile.org/?page_id=3
I know.

But the point is how Nokia deals with the GPL. Will they publish the sources if requested?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I requested the source from Ovi/Nokia and 5 days later they asked for a bunch of details, including IMEI number, etc. I've been too preoccupied with family issues to follow up, but I will when I have time.

I guess there's no harm in anyone else trying.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Oh yes they do imply (that's why legal documents have these wonderful warranty, liability and indemnification clauses, sections 12-14 in this case).
This is my long-held understanding of GPLv2:

Nokia's T&Cs, with whomever, may imply that Nokia says they have no obligation to distribute source when they distribute GPL-covered binaries (or equivalent offers to provide source, as detailed in the GPL).

But if Nokia don't do that, then Nokia have no right to distribute the GPL-covered binaries, no matter what contract they have with the upstream publisher - unless all the copyright holders of the software agree to an alternative license under which Nokia can distribute the binaries.

Agreeing an alternative license can be as simple as adding an exception to the license allowing it to be distributed by OVI with just a link to source elsewhere. But only if all the copyright holders agree to thisl This is because the copyright holders acting together are not bound by the license.

A single author modifying GPL-covered software cannot grant this exception by himself, if copyright is also held by others.

Of course, the GPL is not always enforced.

All the above applies to LGPL too, but the scope of what is covered is different, and shared libraries make compliance easier.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium