Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Yes. The plan is to get complete feature-set of N900, but augmented with some new stuff.
great! where can i preorder two devices (just in case one will be lost in postal)? %-)

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ketmar View Post
great! where can i preorder two devices (just in case one will be lost in postal)? %-)
In future Please be patient. We'll probably set up some ways for crowdfunding and preordering soon, but there are still some months left till first Neo900 devices are produced, so yep... be patient

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Please be patient.
i'm trying hard not to dance screaming "i want it now and i want it all!" %-)

ah, i should stop generating noise here… sorry.

How can I change my vote?
The camera sensor will be the same?

ah, i want to change my vote too. i definetely will pay 700EUR for Neo900. so you can subtract one vote from 500EUR and add it to 700EUR.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
[...]
I should mention that while IrDA uses the same wavelength as "Commercial IR" (what remote controls use), it runs at a much higher speed and a much lower power level.
[...]
Also, I'm not entirely sure there's enough room in the existing case to fit both an IR receiver LED and an IR transmitter LED (at least for CIR)...

EDIT: I should mention, if you're taking requests , it'd be nice to have an LED that provides a little more output power.
CIR and IrDA don't usually use same wavelength. IrDA is in the 850-900nm range while CIR often using >900nm. Nevertheless each one works with the wavelength of the other one, just with reduced sensitivity resulting from the wrong "color".
The recommendation would be to use CIR wavelength strong IR-LED for TX while using IrDA wavelength for RX.
The space in N900 case should suffice to implement that, so we will do it.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
it'd be nice to have an LED that provides a little more output power.
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The recommendation would be to use CIR wavelength strong IR-LED for TX while using IrDA wavelength for RX.
Absolutely. and the stronger it is, the better - It was always sad, that N900 LED diode was so weak, having, at the same time, such wonderful software as Pierogi to play with (for ones that are not aware - thanks to it, N900 become first "intelligent" remote able to handle stateful AC units, amongst other, more popular usage cases).

Weak LED always made usage of N900 as IR remote balancing between "real use" and "proof of concept". I experimented with diffusing beam via plastic lens took from TV remote - it improved reliability on short distances (it wasn't necessary to aim like SAS sniper, anymore), but obviously, haven't helped with range (even decreased the latter a little, for obvious reasons).
---

Now, if we could have sanely powerful diode in Neo900, it would be possible to put such leds into custom body, having *both* widespread response (no sniping necessary) and range (unless CIR diode would contain such diffusing lens itself).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Er, if you're going to do IrDA, it'd be best to ensure both tx and rx are fully compatible with the IrDA standard. Otherwise, the Neo900 may only be able to communicate with other Neo900s.

By the way, how do the board match up with N900 case? Will there be 'moving around' components on the board to match the case?

Er, if you're going to do IrDA, it'd be best to ensure both tx and rx are fully compatible with the IrDA standard. Otherwise, the Neo900 may only be able to communicate with other Neo900s.
AIUI, joerg_rw meant, that IrDA and CIR can cross-talk, albeit at reduced sensitivity, + as we know, IrDA have much weaker beam power than CIR (ywt, works at higher speed).

Thus, having CIR TX diode *should* ensure no-problems with RX of other devices, as beam power will be orders of magnitude greater than normal sending power for IrDA - compensating for loss of sensitivity due to color offset.

Now, it *could* be a problem to *receive* signals from other devices, if we would use receiver tuned to colors - that's why using IrDA receiver is mentioned. Now, if two Neo900 are able to talk with each other, they should be able to talk with other IrDA's too - as both Neo900 uses standard IrDA receiver, which implies TX CIR diode is capable of IrDA'ing (as other's side standard IrDA receiver decipher it correctly).

By the way, it shouldn't cripple capability of using Neo900 as "learning" remote, too - IrDA receiver will be less sensitive to CIR, but for learning remote purposes, we can put "to be copied" remote at point blank, so it is OK.
---

Now, not that I did any scientific tests to reinforce all of the above - I tried to use pure logic here. If anyone knowledgeable about IrDA/CIR notice some catch, feel free to correct me.

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
By the way, how do the board match up with N900 case? Will there be 'moving around' components on the board to match the case?
From earlier entries in this thread - moving around will be necessary, but not they way you're thinking about it. It's exactly the other way around - they're actually moving parts around PCB, to make it fit with N900 body

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!