Notices

So I reflashed my n900 and tried to install Canola2. Still getting the same error about libeina0 conflict. Rather than try to solve that issue I thought it might be worth it to try and find a different media player since Canola2 team stopped development quite awhile back.

I pretty much used Canola2 exclusively for audio - music, podcasts, and internet radio. I'm having trouble finding one program that can do all of these. Podcasts seem particularly difficult. I've seen the recommendations here for gpodder for downloading and Panucci for playing podcasts, and I haven't tried this yet and will, but in general I prefer a more integrated solution. Anything out there?

Happy hunting.
Canola was a commercial product anyway. Much like a whole raft of apps that were once open source, the developers pulled a lot of feedback and ideas from this community then pulled the plug on the Maemo 5 varients once they were promoted to paid apps in Ovi/Nokia Store.

The only mediaplayer that is still open source and being updated is Open Mediaplayer (Kudos to MohammadAG for keeping it alive and anyone else who's invilved in it's development).
There's Mediabox, but I'm not sure if that has all the features you want, besides, development ceased on that a long time ago too.
There was another mediaplayer floating about recently, but I can't remember what it was called and can't find the thread now, but waddya know...... things have gone quiet with that one for Maemo 5 now.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I loved Canola on the N8x0s and still do and use it.

On the N900 I use the combination of OpenMediaPlayer and Gpodder - They work really well together and both are still in active development/support and are about as integrated as you will get.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
There is also someplayer & kmplayer. Both seem to be working but there weren't any updates in a while.

Thanks for the feedback. Personally I've got nothing against commercial developers, and if Canola2 (or a successor) is available as a paid app for the N900 I'd be happy to buy it. I feel I owe the developers a little something as Canola2 is certainly the most used program on my N800 over the last few years.

I did end up downloading Gpodder, and I have to say it's great to just be able to search for a podcast in the directory and add it that way, and there are certainly a lot more fine tuning you can do in the settings as compared to Canola...but I can't figure out how I'd download some new episodes before leaving for work and have them play all (without some convoluted process like adding them to a playlist). I saw some older commentary asking about this, and some talk from the developer that this would be addressed in a future version, but if it has been I haven't been able to figure out how to use it.