Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
My N810 takes 33 seconds to boot, while it only loads a few kernel modules and runs a few init scripts.
I think we should bug this:http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/
Booting in 5 seconds.
Shouldn't we?

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
well, there's the battery start too. I agree that when its empty and you plug it, it takes a few moments before it decides to boot. But i don't think its all that bad, either, since its not meant to be booted up all that much.

Hmmm... Sounds like a good goal for Fremantle, doesn't it?

(Realistically, it can't happen before then, because Nokia really doesn't want to jump kernel versions for no good reason. They won't think this is a good reason.)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://www.slideshare.net/qgil/osim-...h-presentation

Dunno if someone saw on page 4 the upstart project?

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
well, there's the battery start too. I agree that when its empty and you plug it, it takes a few moments before it decides to boot. But i don't think its all that bad, either, since its not meant to be booted up all that much.
It is 33 seconds without battery start. 20 seconds of blue bar, 13 seconds of Nokia splash screen.
If it can boot in 5 seconds, why not do it?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Wow, I thought the lwn article was quite interesting. It would be great to be able to boot in five seconds, even without networking.

Couldn't this affect the power-usage of booting and make turning off your tablet a more viable thing to do? It is said never to turn off your tablet, and I only turn mine off when I change batteries, mainly, but it would be nice to get rid of that rule.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Dunno if someone saw on page 4 the upstart project?
Yup, and at another point (I think the "Core System" talk) it was announced that initrd is going away. It should be relatively easy to streamline Xorg startup (display, keyboard etc config is fairly static) and we don't have a display manager to worry about, so the main missing ingredient is sReadahead.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Couldn't this affect the power-usage of booting and make turning off your tablet a more viable thing to do?
Well, once you boot you still have to wait several minutes at full CPU while metalayer-crawler eats your battery by re-indexing the contents of your cards. Let's hope the metatracker replacement will be lighter/more intelligent.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well, once you boot you still have to wait several minutes at full CPU while metalayer-crawler eats your battery by re-indexing the contents of your cards. Let's hope the metatracker replacement will be lighter/more intelligent.
Well, it's hard to guarantee an up-to-date database without rescanning on boot; the user could have taken it out and changed it in another system. I could be wrong, but I don't think FAT stored last mount time for comparison; if other systems can be trusted to change a time-stamp on modify, then a fast scan could be made of all timestamps, comparing each directory to a stored copy made at shutdown. (More generally, this could be applied at every mount/unmount.)

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I don't think FAT stored last mount time for comparison
It doesn't.

I understand the reasons why cards have to be reindexed at every mount, just unhappy with the cost of the current implementation.

Last edited by lma; 2008-10-06 at 05:31.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Does Arjen include the GUI? Or was it like XFce?

Matter of( Coreboot,) upstart, faster processor, faster I/O, PowerTOP + LatencyTOP investigation.

Tags
boot