Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
I've written a quick Wiki page at : http://wiki.maemo.org/Ovi_Maps_Extra_Features

It currently only describeds one method, however there is another thread here with a modified python server which you can try too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
I've written a quick Wiki page at : http://wiki.maemo.org/Ovi_Maps_Extra_Features

It currently only describeds one method, however there is another thread here with a modified python server which you can try too.
I haven't change N900 language and tried this method - the ovi map works OK (thanks!), but have no voice commands yet.

I'm guessing there is no problem to have english voices...., but
where to take different languages from?
As soon as have more time to play with my N900 I'll try to make the navigation fully functioning.

I saw couple of pages back somebody trying to get the OMVserver to work with finnish voices. I'd like to know if anybody got it working yet?

I tried the python server and got it working, but I wanted to start experiment with the OMV version. I got it working with the english_us, but had no luck with the finnish voices. Every time I started the OMVserver and then the maps, the server crashed when I started navigating.

I found out when comparing the config.xml files that the finnish and english have different names for some of the soundfiles. This I think is because finnish needs different files for "nominativ" (basic eg. six hundred meters) and for "genetiv" (eg. after six hundred meters). In eglish the part "six hunred meters" is in both cases the same, but in finnish the "six hundred meters" is either "kuusi sataa metriä" or kuuden sadan metrin" so we need two different soundfiles, and neither of these have the same name as the english version (they have either extra n on g). I'm going to try to rename the basic (nominativ) files to same names as the english and try to use the english config.xml. I'll tell if I get it working.

The reason I think the python version does not suffer from this, is that it uses espeak for distances, but I prefer the finnish_female voice that could be used with OMV over the robotic espeak.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
I saw couple of pages back somebody trying to get the OMVserver to work with finnish voices. I'd like to know if anybody got it working yet?

I tried the python server and got it working, but I wanted to start experiment with the OMV version. I got it working with the english_us, but had no luck with the finnish voices. Every time I started the OMVserver and then the maps, the server crashed when I started navigating.

I found out when comparing the config.xml files that the finnish and english have different names for some of the soundfiles. This I think is because finnish needs different files for "nominativ" (basic eg. six hundred meters) and for "genetiv" (eg. after six hundred meters). In eglish the part "six hunred meters" is in both cases the same, but in finnish the "six hundred meters" is either "kuusi sataa metriä" or kuuden sadan metrin" so we need two different soundfiles, and neither of these have the same name as the english version (they have either extra n on g). I'm going to try to rename the basic (nominativ) files to same names as the english and try to use the english config.xml. I'll tell if I get it working.

The reason I think the python version does not suffer from this, is that it uses espeak for distances, but I prefer the finnish_female voice that could be used with OMV over the robotic espeak.
There is a modified xml-file available somewhere for Finnish (I think there is a link in this thread).

EDIT: I think it is in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=474

Last edited by OVK; 2011-10-21 at 09:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
is there any package with this in the extras??

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by crash16 View Post
is there any package with this in the extras??
read the wiki which blaizzen thankfully put together. the package is in extras-devel.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ LONDON s/east
Hi
I have followed the instructions from link below but having problems with the voice files as i get so far and then it states it cannot find or open english_us.zip as it cant find it???

cant seem to open the turnbyturninstall files either to check what im doing so any help would be very very welcome

JJ
http://nokia-n900.com/nokia-n900-ovi-map-enhancement/

Hi
I followed the instructions from this link below to try and get voice guidance with OviMaps but i hit a snag when it comes to the voice files as it states CANNOT FIND OR UNZIP FILES so i am at a loss as to what to do next.
Ovi Suite 3.1 still dosent find my N900 either

Id welcome some help please as ive spent last few days trying to get this all sorted out but still no joy lol

step by step guide link

http://nokia-n900.com/nokia-n900-ovi-map-enhancement/

Big smile to all that have been developing this voice guidance. Shame nokia didnt pull their fingers out of the money pot to do it months & months ago

JJ

i get as far as the voice files but then i hot a snag following these instructions from link below.

I get mess saying something like cannot find or unzip english_us.zip files

Also cant get 3.1 ovi suite to find my n900??

Can anyone help please