Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Good! We all look forward to your experience with the color Nook. How much and who is your vendor? thanks

bun

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
I got it for almost 250€ from a company that brings goods to Greece. It's a bit expensive but you see, nook isn't been sold outside usa.

The Following User Says Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
I don't know if you already chosen to buy a tablet but I thought to write here my impression about my nook color.

I own it for almost 3 weeks and it's awesome. A true value for money. The screen is great, battery life is perfect It lasts over 1 day with continuous usage (all day). I flashed the last nightly from cyanogen and it got better (300mhz-1,2ghz low voltages)! I m sure that it is not a placebo effect. With normal usage it maybe last for 2-3 days. Most apps from market will work, obviously except those which need a camera or a mic. As I had told you, you can use your N900's gps via bluetooth. Accelerometer into some games may not work (eg shaky tower) but most games will work. Also, usb host do work.

If you have further questions do not hesitate to ask me.

The Following User Says Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the review. We have our color nook in US for $249 from some place, cant remember. During shopping, I bumped into the Augen genbook, the infamous kmart $179 netbook/android tablet. It has been refurnbished and running 2.1 Eclair. and onsale for $79. It is soooooooooooooo bad, that even at this price, I am planning to return it. It is so bad, you wont believe it. I have lots of fun to 'tame' this beast, it finally able to root and install apps and surf the net. It a full 10.2 inch crisp clean screen with 8G storage, USB host, and a full keyboard. Just the spec would make anybody drool. Trust me, dont take it, it requires a lot of work. Wifi catch-on is a hit-or-miss. and development by the community comes to a halt. Anyhow, I have fun playing with it and will return it to kmart next week.

Really feel bad to turn away a $79 netbook/tablet with full functioning keyboard. But, it is really poorly made.

bun

I didn't know anything about this "thing". I searched for it and oh man, it do looks ugly! Only 400mhz cpu and 128 mb ram, pff no. I think that you should return it and get a nook. Much much better in several ways from this cheap crap.

That is the difficult part! The spec on the internet are wrong. It is a 256MB ram, 8G storage, 800 MHz, 300 MHz DSP 10.2 in screen with full keyboard and fully function USB host. I just cant believe this company put in so nice hardware and dropped the ball on its software implementation, kind of like Nokia

I read, this new startup has only 13 employee, from CEO to janitor. It is funny. Anyhow, it has very nice hardward, sexy body, but its the software that kills. You got to be a full developer, maybe bundyo, could make this better. But, for another 100$ I could get something fully running, why waste my time? It is a pity to turn away such nice hardware for this price. Oh well...

bun

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
How about a 7" Archos for $200. Most reviews seem quite high on it so long as you are willing to tinker a bit (and, bun, I know you are) and don't expect to tether for 3G. Other issue is limited upgrade potential since only 256mb RAM. But sounds like current incarnation can run very smoothly, comfy to hold, and tv shows (at least downloaded ones) and video in general get very high marks. Also has good TV-out.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
How about a 7" Archos for $200. Most reviews seem quite high on it so long as you are willing to tinker a bit (and, bun, I know you are) and don't expect to tether for 3G. Other issue is limited upgrade potential since only 256mb RAM. But sounds like current incarnation can run very smoothly, comfy to hold, and tv shows (at least downloaded ones) and video in general get very high marks. Also has good TV-out.
$200 for 256 mb was April's price. Today, anything more than $150 is 512 MB and that is my shopping. See the pos augen genbook I got from kmart is $79 and has 256 MB ram already. The Archos 7" WAS my favorite in April, now is July and the choice are way too many. Since there are more choice, I would try to stay away from name brand, as they are usually less easy to tinker with. I would go with something that has a large community, like the maemo, which would has more of chance of upgrade than depends on name brand. Obviously micky mouse tinker is what I am good for, but writing customize ROM, I am not there yet . In fact, the pos genbook is very good in media rendering, able to play HD youtube without problem.

BTW, I am really please with VirginMobile's data plan and the Optimus V, except the 3.2 in screen. 7/19 VirginMobile is going to unleash a 4.3 in Motorola Triumph for $299. That is going to be my phone.

$80 discount, not bad. gsensor, multitouch capacitance, 7", gps?, for 200$ with a huge Archos community behind. I think it is a pretty good solid buy. Of course, in a few month, you may not need the $80 discounts. Android tablets are like no name IBM PC in the early days.

Really nice to see you around.
Cheers,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-07-10 at 06:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Hey bun,
What is your budget? (e.g. less than $300)
What size are you aiming for? (e.g. 7" /8" /10")

I might be able to narrow your search.

My preference:

8.9" tablet
>1280x800 screen with good brightness, non glossy, no glare, good viewing angles
Capacitive multitouch + A-digitizer
Dedicated stylus in the tablet
Android 3.1/2.3.4 with unlocked bootloader
OMAP4430 (or better)
1GB DDR3 RAM
>8 GB NAND
Full SD slot, 2MP ffcamera, 6-axis gyro, proper GPS-antenna
Full HDMI connection
Full USB with host
+ Transformer dock
I'd pay upto $750 for it

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-07-10 at 09:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Hey bun,
What is your budget? (e.g. less than $300)
What size are you aiming for? (e.g. 7" /8" /10")

I might be able to narrow your search....
bun's preference () and starred:

* (5 - 7") -8.9" tablet
* >1280x800 screen with good brightness, non glossy, no glare, good viewing angles
* Capacitive multitouch + A-digitizer
* Android 3.1/2.3.4 with unlocked bootloader
*(512 MB) 1GB DDR3 RAM
* Full SD slot, 2MP ffcamera, 6-axis gyro, proper GPS-antenna
* (not v critical) Full HDMI connection
* Full USB with host

Thanks. That is quite a good sexy body. Well, the price is 3 hi, more than 2 hi. This is my hobby, I doubt with my conscious, and not in any drunken state, I would pump 750$ into a hobby, a business tool is a different ball game.

I am looking for a 5 or 7 in with the starred nicety for under $400, or preferably $300. I know, you goin to say, there is no such thing. Then I will wait or just window shopping. Man, if you tally my hobby expense since I 'accidentally' bought the 770, for a little bit under 4 years, my expense is easily into 4 grand. For a hobby, I think I need to back off a bit before my miss would sit down with me .

I am blessed with 770, N800 X3, N810 X2, N900, Dell x50v (winCE), Toshiba 570 (winCE, busted screen), palm X3, MIDnight tab (android 2.2 tablet), and 3 drawers of accessories, batteries, cables, sd cards, SD readers, BT toys keyboard/GPS... millions outdated flipphones, the latest addition augen genbook (a real POS), I think it is time to take my kids to the park for a change I am sure most forum members here are in similar boat. No, I tend to keep things, I may put it to ebay once a blue moon.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-07-10 at 17:25.

Tags
tablet 3g gps