Active Topics

when i type this code in the xterminal;

"sudo gainroot

apt-get remove<filename>"

it reads;

'Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/),is another process using it?'

Pls what do i do next?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Most probably, you have App Manager open. Close it.

you are a genius,i did close the app manager and i have just removed one application.the last part reads;

"after this operation,119kb disk space will be freed.

Do you want to continue [y/n]?"

so whats the next step?do i remove more app?

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
well, u have to confirm whether u want to remove or not, that's why it prompts u to enter [y/n]

and try what the 3rd line i suggested too, i'll type it again here:

apt-get autoremove
this command will auto remove any bad packages or packages missing important contents. I.e, invalid ones.

when i entered 'y' it reads;

"dpkgarse error,in file /var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 1435 package 'gstranslate':

EOF during value of field 'Maemo-Icon-26' (missing final newline)

E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

and when i entered this third line,

'apt-get autoremove'

it reads;

"reading package lists....Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information...Done

Building dependency tree

Reding information...Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed,

0 to remove and 76 upgraded".

what do i do next pls?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply.
/var/lib/dpkg/available is corrupted. I don't know exact solution, but try:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/available
and
apt-get update

and all is good...
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-389997.html

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Maemo Flasher-3.5 tool does not support any 64-bit operating systems.

If Flasher-3.5 is not supported on your operating system you can try to install Maemo SDK Virtual Image from Maemo Development Environment Downloads page and flash Maemo device from Virtual Image (which includes Ubuntu). This may or may not work for you depending on how well virtualization technology you use supports USB on your HW.
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php
And I'm going to say that this is part BS.
I run 64-bit Linux(Mint 8 KDE x86_64 on my laptop, Kubuntu 9.10 x86_64 on my desktop, and just moved to Mint 9 KDE x86_64.
uname -a on my laptop shows:
Code:
Linux rb-lt-new 2.6.31-21-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 24 07:28:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I have flashed my N900 many times successfully from these.

What I did was:
1. Download the flasher3.5.tar.gz
2. Extract it to a temp directory
3. run "chmod +x flasher-3.5" from that directory, so it can be run.
4. Run it.

Now, I'm willing to bet that the reason it works, when it logically shouldn't, is that I have the ia32 libs installed on my machines. While some may consider this "cheating", as it allows you to run 32-bit excecutables by installing the 32-bit libraries the programs need to run, in this case its perfectly valid - It means you can use your 64-bit Linux OS to run this flasher.
Note though that I didn't manually install the ia32 libs on my new desktop, and I flashed successfully with it, so I dunno - They may have been included in the default packages though.

So, in conclusion, it -IS- possible to use your 64-bit Linux system to flash your N900, and easily too - you may have to install a few packages, though.

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
So, in conclusion, it -IS- possible to use your 64-bit Linux system to flash your N900, and easily too - you may have to install a few packages, though.
Added to wiki.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Flasher#Tips_.26_troubleshooting

when i typed this;

"apt-get update"

everthingthing got updated,but when i type this;

"apt-get updrage"

the last line reads;

'E : Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix missing?'

whats next pls?

Try
apt-get update
and then
apt-get updrage --fix missing