I would buy.
Already impressed with the new yotaphone 2 hardware, just needs some decent software on it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
I would buy.
Already impressed with the new yotaphone 2 hardware, just needs some decent software on it!
Yeah only just noticed it myself, that eink screen looks awesome

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yPhone lll With sail edition would be great. Would love IT. Much cooler than a tablet Without 3/4g. Just hope jolla could convince any hw manufacturerer that sail is da ****. The Russians might be crazy enough...

However...still it's just a made up rumor as far as I know. Jolla would announce any deals as soon as possible to attract more...

1. Russians not to happy with US based OSes
2. Jolla representative visited Russia for first time a few days back

This could mean yota+jolla is a done deal...but I doubt it

Let's speculate...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-23 at 21:04.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Can't jolla just release Jolla Phone 1 Plus or Pro with top-notch screen and more RAM, like chinese do. I envy cheap china phones for their screen, Jollas look awful by todays standards.

For 2.0, Jolla should go for a device that has uniform bezels on every side of the screen, ie no large areas at bottom or top. And keep the physical dimensions of a phone intact, except, make it thinner but still compatible with TOHs.

TOH is largely an empty promise from Jolla, but just please don't drop it yet.

How about creating a new indiegogo campaign for new patch of replacement parts, battery, better 4,5" screen (ok, no RAM here). Then, maybe official howto, or optionally possibility to send phones in to Jollas service for screen upgrade.

I'm not sure how others, but i'd pay and change the *** ******** low quality * ******* *********** screen of Jolla 1 by myself even if i'd lose a warranty. (Smiley)

(Note: I'm discussing colors and viewing angles and blacks and brightness of the screen here, not resolution.)

Last edited by veeall; 2015-02-27 at 23:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
What he says here is that next YotaPhone might be on Sailfish.
Awesome news.
Pretty sure Eldar is stirring the pot.

If it ever transpired, it'd be amazing for Sailfish / Jolla, though. Finally they'd have a USP ... but I'm not really sure why Yota would want to go with Sailfish INSTEAD of Ubuntu Phone and/or FF-OS for people who want something more simple. If it were to happen, I think it'd be much more likely we'd see UP and Sailfish. If only one, I'd bet on UP.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
... but I'm not really sure why Yota would want to go with Sailfish INSTEAD of Ubuntu Phone and/or FF-OS for people who want something more simple.
If it were to happen, I think it'd be much more likely we'd see UP and Sailfish. If only one, I'd bet on UP.
I don't see how either of those are a dramatically better option, sw-wise...
But, you've demonstrated a strong bias towards Canonical several times now, so I can see why you might say it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Not everyone lives in cloud-cuckoo land.

Also, you answered your own question. It's not really about the software.

Both Firefox and Ubuntu have well recognised and valuable brands that guarantee a certain amount of attention and sales. Their ecosystem is also much wider, and in Ubuntu's case the potential number of developers dwarfs either Sailfish or FF.

Jolla have yet to demonstrate any ability to attract OEMs in their 3 year history, and their sole wins in terms of major partners (Opera, Ericsson, Younited, Rovio) either fell through or resulted in disappointment. HW are apparently still on board .. but so far haven't offered the device on any of their networks save for 3HK. The €200m funding for an ecosystem hub in HK that Jolla announced 2 and a half years ago was pure fantasy.

Realistically Sailfish is vying for 8th spot in the mobile OS stakes, not 3rd as Jolla have boldly proclaimed in the past.

Unless Yota were to receive a huge slush fund from the Kremlin, they'd be positively insane to pin the fortunes of their company SOLELY to Sailfish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Not everyone lives in cloud-cuckoo land.

Also, you answered your own question. It's not really about the software.

Both Firefox and Ubuntu have well recognised and valuable brands that guarantee a certain amount of attention and sales. Their ecosystem is also much wider, and in Ubuntu's case the potential number of developers dwarfs either Sailfish or FF.

Jolla have yet to demonstrate any ability to attract OEMs in their 3 year history, and their sole wins in terms of major partners (Opera, Ericsson, Younited, Rovio) either fell through or resulted in disappointment. HW are apparently still on board .. but so far haven't offered the device on any of their networks save for 3HK. The €200m funding for an ecosystem hub in HK that Jolla announced 2 and a half years ago was pure fantasy.

Realistically Sailfish is vying for 8th spot in the mobile OS stakes, not 3rd as Jolla have boldly proclaimed in the past.

Unless Yota were to receive a huge slush fund from the Kremlin, they'd be positively insane to pin the fortunes of their company SOLELY to Sailfish.
Good to see you got the insults out of your system....

You're not revealing anything no one knows, certainly not most of the users here, just make sure you don't fool yourself of that.
The problem with your post, was that it was way too vague, now that you've clarified what you were saying it's like: "Well, yeah..."

Also, I'm not sure Canonical's "more likely" to get a leg up in a market like the CIS, bit too presumptuous to be calling it like that at this point.
It's a UK-based company, that in itself will quickly raise the paranoia alarm bells for a country like Russia & it's satellites, being more open (code-wise) or not.
On balance, I'd say it's a tough one to call, I certainly wouldn't be calling it in the confident terms you were...

Few interesting holes there, or points that are def. debatable, but they're OT, & TBH, CBF'd wasting the time "arguing on the internet" about niche platforms.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-02-28 at 17:04. Reason: grammar nazi

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Good to see you got the insults out of your system....
Sure he is a troll but there was nothing insulting in that post and sadly everything he said is 100% true.

Vague? Maybe. Nothing new? Sure. But for some reason, Jolla and some of its blind followers still keep closing their eyes from the reality. Maybe it is good that someone points out the obvious from time to time.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It's a UK-based company, that in itself will quickly raise the paranoia alarm bells for a country like Russia & it's satellites, being more open (code-wise) or not.
only if they are daft.

the fact that britain spends a lot on intercepting comms, and is lucky enough to sit at a nexus of fibre coming in from the atlantic, does not make a british IT company any more or less trustworthy than any alternate IT vendor in any other country.

every company in any country is subject to the law on facilitating legal inteception:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...fer-in-the-us/

if we'd like to make the point that users are invariably fools, and that some will be paniscked by snowden headlines into ignoring british tech, no argument, but on an brand-trust scale that is likely more than compensated for by the reputation of british industry.

the russian government, and those materially connected to it, should be concerned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2