Hello guys!

I know that probably all of these questions were answered in different topics, but I would like to make here a fresh sum up for N9 chinese issue, with latest info and all in one place. Please understand.

So I've just bought a "new" N9 from local reseller, and as it turned out, it is a chinese version:

PR1.3 (40.2012.21-3_PR_003)
Product Code according to QR is 059K1T4 (RM-696 NDT CHINA MAGENTA 16GB). Although, body is black...

Phone has preinstalled chinese apps and the UI is also slightly different, i.e. radio icon has rainbow colors. However, my sim-card works without a problem, 3G connections are ok and so far phone is not hanging, freezing etc.

But afterall, I would like to have a clean device, with all stuff like in european one. Rather a flashed one from the ground, instead of add & remove apps. But how to do that and not mess up?

As I understand, there is no chance to go back to "right for me" european 001 variant. Correct?

The mixing of emmc is possible, but it covers only backgrounds, maps, music etc. Real OS customisation & apps are stored in firmware file. Correct?

As flashing guide says, all firmwares, with except to chinese and branded ones, are mostly the same. Therefore, to bring back N9 "european like" features, I have to flash 005 variant - Asia/Pacific. Correct?

1. Should I expect any general problems during changing variant to 005?
2. Will GSM & 3G connectivity work the same as they do now? I have read few posts mentioning issues with cmt, but I didn't go into details. Is there something to worry about?
3. After flash, there will be not turning back option to chinese variant. As long, as there are no troubles, I can live with that. Is there something that would change my mind?
4. Are there any limitations with using variants other than 001? In terms of hacks, compatibility, tricks etc?
5. Any problems with restoring backup made on 001?
6. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szydl0 For This Useful Post:
I do forget the correct version number but there is a global firmware that can be installed. I bought my Singapore N9 and flashed it with global.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Was it that one?

http://www.mrcrab.net/nokia/Nokia_N9...n=40.2012.21.3

Singapore should be 005, this one is 001, so how that would be possible?

The Following User Says Thank You to szydl0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Do NOT mix asian with european CMT (firmware) or you risk bricking your telephony and more.
Afaik there is no one who ever dealed to flash an european firmware over an chinese (about the other way I do not know).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
How to check which CMT I currently have? My N9 has chinese firmware, but works with networks in europe. Is it expected behaviour, or do I already have some kind of mix up?

I wanted to flash 005 (Asian) over 003 (Chinese). Is there also any potential risk?

Is it possible to have any other than chinese firmware and still have working connections in my case?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szydl0 For This Useful Post:
Same thing happened to me, the Chinese one I received wasn't even in new condition either.

If you flash 005 over 003 the CMT flash will fail. The phone will no longer detect SIM cards.

However...

In my case after flashing 005, I was able to flash just the CMT from 003 firmware to make the phone usable again. It doesn't have any problems, but any time I reflash I'll always have to flash the CMT from 003 variant after or the phone won't work properly.

The procedure is described here: https://wiki.maemo.org/Flashing_N9#R...m_flash_errors

I used the CMT from here: http://www.mrcrab.net/nokia/Nokia_N9...n=40.2012.21.3

Last edited by DA5; 2015-09-24 at 01:55. Reason: firmware link

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DA5 For This Useful Post:
Just for the information: flashing went as it was expected, now the phone is runing new zealand firmware in openmode with chinese cmt. Celluar modem still works fine in europe.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szydl0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szydl0 View Post
Just for the information: flashing went as it was expected, now the phone is runing new zealand firmware in openmode with chinese cmt. Celluar modem still works fine in europe.
how did you fix it

tried flashing a lot of firmware, is it possible that same problem CMT just manufactured from different country can not be fixed

The Following User Says Thank You to tomislav For This Useful Post:
Like in DA5 description I flashed normal firmware, then CMT. Firmware was OK in everything except CMT, and CMT flash finalized it.

What messages are you receiving during CMT flash?

The Following User Says Thank You to szydl0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szydl0 View Post
Like in DA5 description I flashed normal firmware, then CMT. Firmware was OK in everything except CMT, and CMT flash finalized it.

What messages are you receiving during CMT flash?
[f] cmt-algo [init 0 % 789 / 789 kB NA ]
[-] cmt-mcusw [pending 0 % 0 / 0 kB NA ]

The Following User Says Thank You to tomislav For This Useful Post: