Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
This just popped up on Pocketables:

Aigo has just launched the N500, an ARM-based 806MHz Marvell PXA310+ processor powering the Maemo OS. The N500 has a 4.3-inch WVGA resistive touch screen, 128MB DDR RAM, 256MB ROM, b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0, 3G (EVDO) voice and data connectivity, GPS, VGA webcam, 3.2MP back facing camera, and a high capacity 2600mAh li-on battery. It is on sale in China now for 3999 RMB, which works out to around US$586.

http://www.pocketables.net/2010/01/a...maemo-mid.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Same family of OS'es as on the other 'Maemo' running stuff.. It is based on Diablo but quite modified, I think.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
As Nokia doesn't license Maemo or the closed-source software that makes up a large portion of the user-facing experience. No, it's not Maemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As Nokia doesn't license Maemo or the closed-source software that makes up a large portion of the user-facing experience. No, it's not Maemo.
So, to get this straight, is Maemo5 equivalent to N900? Why do we bother making the distinction between software and hardware then?

Frankly, this policy reminds me of Apple's restrictions to put OS X on non-Apple hardware... in a bad way...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
So, to get this straight, is Maemo5 equivalent to N900? Why do we bother making the distinction between software and hardware then?

Frankly, this policy reminds me of Apple's restrictions to put OS X on non-Apple hardware... in a bad way...
It does tend to take the free and open out of free and open source software.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
It is inferior to the N900 so why worry?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
the closed-source software that makes up a large portion of the user-facing experience.
Yes.

Unfortunately, many people talked about Maemo being open source and the software architecture diagram in Section 5.3.1 of the Diablo reference manual

http://maemo.org/maemo_release_docum...on/maemo4.1.x/

made it seem as though most of the components (except apps) above GTK+ are open source - it took me awhile to appreciate they are not.

Because they're two different things and Maemo 5 is not equivalent to the N900 (in fact, it's been run on the Beagle Board), that doesn't mean other manufacturers get to ship Nokia's proprietary software and abuse their trademarks, however.

Software aside, Nokia doesn't license the brand, so other companies can't just start using their trademarks whenever they feel like it.

The whole reason Nokia ships differentiation software in Maemo is so that Chinese manufacturers can't just copy it all, ship it on inferior hardware and sell it as Maemo. If the whole thing were open source then there wouldn't be any appreciable difference between what this company is shipping and what Nokia's shipping software-wise.

Pfft, because Nokia has firmware locks you need to bypass and 90% of its platform is closed source. Please.

Just because Nokia has a reasonable expectation of not doing another company's work for them doesn't turn them into an evil company.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
made it seem as though most of the components (except apps) above GTK+ are open source - it took me awhile to appreciate they are not.
80/20 open/closed is the proportion Nokia is aiming for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thanks for explaining that GeneralAntilles. I have been wondering about how this really goes.