http://maemo.org/packages/view/clinkc0/

I can read descriptions, but I still don't understand what it is, and why it is installed as default on my N900.

Related packages:
Code:
clinkc-av0 - UPnP AV library for CyberLink for C
clinkc-av-gnomevfs - GnomeVFS plugin for browsing UPnP/AV media servers
clinkc0 - CyberLink for C UPnP library
Upstream:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/clinkc/

Maemo's version is 2.0-0osso17+0m5
2.0 is released at 2006-12-07
2.4 at 2011-09-15
trunk has modifications at 2012-07-24.

If it useful, should it be upgraded?

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I'd like to know that too. I've chopped them off and haven't noticed any adverse effect on the functionality of my device. I guess it might be useful if you use XMBC, DLNA or friends but I don't.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
In stock media player, when connected to home wifi, one can see in bottom left the list of other connected devices supporting UPnP and browse their contents (if you cannot reproduce that, maybe you don't have compatible UPnP devices in your LAN, I can provide screenshot), maybe that's what it's used for?

Oh, and stock file manager also shows "Shared media" (or something like that, I'm not sure if I translated it correctly) below internal memory and memory cards, and after choosing that option, I can choose other devices in my LAN and browse their contents. I'd guess it could be implemented using UPnP... But that's just a guess, don't quote me on that. Today in the evening I'll try to remove that packages on my spare N900 and report back if it stopped seeing other devices in media player and file manager.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I guess it might be useful if you use XMBC, DLNA or friends but I don't.
Thanks for these additional keywords, I found this discussion: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32229

I installed mediatomb (UPnP-server) to my Ubuntu computer, added one directory of music files to database of it and then Maemo's default media player shows icon for shared content. Super simple. I still prefer ssh, but I understand need of UPnP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
I removed packages: clinkc0 clinkc-av-gnomevfs clinkc-av0 and mediaplayer is still working with UPnP. It can browse files and directories, it shows new files, it plays them.

-----
Meanwhile I got very latest code from upstream compiled for Maemo5, but now I don't know any way to test/use it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Thanks for checking and sorry for not doing that myself - busy with real life Have you tried contacting the maintainer, Aapo Mäkelä? Maybe he remembers what it's used for... You can easily google his Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook profiles.