Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Mexico
Hello,

I need to replace my N900. I like everything about it except I would like a larger screen.

Can anyone recommend a replacement that has the same functionality (except maybe the FM transmitter)?

Thanks

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What functionality would that be? What is important to you?

I recommend galaxy note 2 with the Jolla device as an outsider!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

My N900 is slowly dying so I started looking around for a replacement as well.
So far, I narrowed down the search to 3 phones:
Galaxy Note(Pros:Screen,Stylus,the Intl' model benchmarks are great,decent battery life if tweaked correctly. Cons: Maybe too big)
HTC One S(The perfect generic phone, Pros: Great battery life, Great CPU, HTC Sense. Cons: battery not removable, no SD slot[16gigs is all you get], only 4.3" screen which is the same as the Galaxy S2[i.e PenTile])

or to wait for the Lumia 920,
I find it hard to wait so I am leaning hard for the Note.

I wouldnt get the Note 2, as it even bigger than the previous model and that plastic white design like the S3 is absolutely ugly. Also, so far Samsung released all the new features from the S3 for the Note.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

That is a long list:

Mobile broadband and Tethering!
Command prompt
GPS
Good camera
IR
Keyboard
Quad band (must function in U.S.A. and Europe)
Reasonable phone performance
Headset
Unlocked (use with any carrier)
Accelerometer would be nice.
Memory card
Encryption would be nice.
WiFi
Intertube browser
Compatible with Linux

Thanks very much for the recommendations.

P.S. How much can Google be avoided when using an Android phone? I do not like Google's data collection policies.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I don't think we can really replace N900.

We can, however, choose from a variety of fast, slick, shiny smartphones that fit our specific needs.

So what I am saying is keep your N900 for the serious stuff and get a samsung to play.

The Following User Says Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

Any idea when a Jolla device will be available? This would definitely be my first choice!

Thanks

Originally Posted by zifis View Post
I don't think we can really replace N900.

We can, however, choose from a variety of fast, slick, shiny smartphones that fit our specific needs.

So what I am saying is keep your N900 for the serious stuff and get a samsung to play.
I completely agree! If Jolla is successful they will be the best solution.

Thanks

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Slightly off topic, but since my n900 stopped working (as a phone anyway) I have since moved to android. I have an HTC Sensation and now a Galaxy s3. Sure, they are powerful, but I don't enjoy using them anywhere near as much as I did using my n900. I constantly learnt things with that phone, such as manually making and modifying themes, icons and framework and also a lot of terminal, linux and commands. What Nokia should do, is re-visit the N900. Keep all the same features just update the device to the latest hardware, and put maemo 6 or 7 or Meego or alternative open source os on it. People may disagree with me now, but I personally think that Elop was responsible for Nokia's demise. Sorry for the totally off topic post. I have yet to find a phone that lives up to my N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigears5000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by bigears5000 View Post
Slightly off topic, but since my n900 stopped working (as a phone anyway) I have since moved to android. I have an HTC Sensation and now a Galaxy s3. Sure, they are powerful, but I don't enjoy using them anywhere near as much as I did using my n900. I constantly learnt things with that phone, such as manually making and modifying themes, icons and framework and also a lot of terminal, linux and commands. What Nokia should do, is re-visit the N900. Keep all the same features just update the device to the latest hardware, and put maemo 6 or 7 or Meego or alternative open source os on it. People may disagree with me now, but I personally think that Elop was responsible for Nokia's demise. Sorry for the totally off topic post. I have yet to find a phone that lives up to my N900.

[SADSTORY]
I completely agree!! I bought an N9 last month and I can sadly say "such a waste". the device is beautiful, hardware is awesome, yet not as customizable as the n900. luckily i still have it, i think i'm gonna revert back until Jolla shows me something good.
[/SADSTORY]

The Following User Says Thank You to K9999 For This Useful Post: