Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Sorry we don't have any hard numbers yet. We are still in the phase of evaluating the whole concept. No sourcing has been done yet. I did a very rough estimation and added a 100EUR on top of the GTA04 prices. This may or may not work in the end, however the GTA04-NeoN board will be maybe 50EUR more than the plain GTA04 board, due to the additional chips like eMMC and audio codec. See Dos1's post#5
Best Regards
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-24 at 04:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Guys (and gals), we HAVE a CLASS-D allready, and it's killing our speakers (which stand way less than 2W) without XPROT plugin in ALSA. And new speakers are not like buying new batteries for your torch, speakers are a complicated business that needs lots of tuning and calculations. See why Bose is famous.

And if you bother to read post#1 again, you probably will spot "stereo line-in" somewhere. And we will do our very best to get real grunt on AV-out for connecting passive speakers
could you elaborate this ?
I didn't find any documentation regarding xprot plugin ,I'm asuming that's a software limiter ,that's why arch and nitdroid sounds way better and louder.
How to disable it? To see the diference?
Or the new alsa package is needed?
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-09-24 at 05:58.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
No, it is evidently a faster DSP and a way better graphics accelerator (double number of polygons/s). Maybe my crappy comparison been too obfuscated to expose this.
Oops, I missed the N9 bit - sorry I dunno about performance of N9. But we don't plan to outperform the latest iPhone7, that's not goal of this project. So please don't rant like this.
/j

[edit] 720p relativises in light of 480-V screen in device and 512i-V max on AV-out, eh? maybe next you complain about no decoding of HD-extreme or 4K, just to scale it down to 480*800
im sorry if it seems like a rant, i just want to know dsp capabilities, n9 dsp is also overclocked to 800mhz like that one but offers almost no performance gain when compared to 600mhz OC of one in the n900
i hope its not the same dsp as one in n900 and n9(for those that are unaware, n9 has the same dsp as n900, just made in a smaller process so heats less and works on higher freq, but that freq gives no significant advantage, for comparison, old VIA dsp clocked on 300mhz easily outperforms our dsp and plays 720p)
so, not a rant, just something i need to know as a potential buyer, 700€ is a lot of money and i need to be sure ill be getting a lot more than a little more ram

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
I'm new here and just placed my vote for 700 EUR (or less). I only care about running Replicant (Android) on this device, so I don't care that the native OS doesn't support multi touch. I'd like to see a touch screen sensor/chip that supports two finger pinch to zoom that can be used with Replicant/Android. I'd pay more for this.

Can anyone tell me which components don't have open Linux drivers for them other than 3D GPU and wifi which require binary blob firmwares? For example, I read that the FM radio is physically there but is untested or there is no driver for it? How about the GPS, camera, and modem? 100% open drivers and working? I'd love to have a working FM radio in Replicant (not Internet streaming radio). AM would be great too because some of the best talk radio in my city is on AM.

For me the selling point of the Neo900 is that it is "open source" hardware that can run 100% open drivers (except a couple binary blobs for firmware, which I dislike but understand we have no other choice). If it weren't for that, I'd be looking elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdelaplante For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Is there any possibility of supporting ANT+ and upgrade to Blueetooth 4.0 in Neo900?. There are many chips that implement both standards (dunno about price) and that would be a good improvement over current N900 board.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Another vote for considering ANT+(used mostly for low bandwidth fitness telemetry like heart rate, shoe accelerometers, medical gadgets, GPSs, cycle computers, etc) and BT4.0 which introduces very low power bluetooth communications, for example the G-Shock BT watch runs a year while staying in communication.

The only concern with ANT+ is it is a proprietary tech AFAIK.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-09-24 at 16:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
i hope its not the same dsp as one in n900 and n9

so, not a rant, just something i need to know as a potential buyer, 700€ is a lot of money and i need to be sure ill be getting a lot more than a little more ram
Neo900 is NOT about "a lot more than N900", and I hope very much that DSP is identical (or compatible) since otherwise we have NO DRIVERS for it and it won't be used at all under fremantle. All who hope for a device outperforming N9 or even higher spec'ed devices probably should look for sth different, Neo900 is not targeted at you as customers, you will be disappointed. Get a Lumia920 or a fruitPhone instead, please. Or one of the zillion Android devices which are definitely better hw and cheaper than Neo900 ever can get. Thanks!
/j

PS: we have DOUBLE the RAM *) on ~20% faster memory bus, we have DOUBLE the CPU clock on a slightly better CPU, we have DOUBLE the GFX accel performance (20 instead of 10 megapolygons/s), we have MORE THAN DOUBLE the rootfs *) available since we add a 256 on top of ~240MB... If all that isn't good enough for you to replace your N900 then this isn't the project for you.
*) and each of those is completely free for _you_ to make use of it, since our OS is not doubling its resource requirements. Means: form 256MB RAM a maybe 100MB are free for apps to use them (rest for OS), form 512MB RAM there are 356MB free for apps, so 3.5 times as much as in N900. Same applies for rootfs.

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-24 at 22:25.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
ooh, n900++, great idea!

id say we need 2gb ram, MINIMUM, and at least a quad core 1.2ghz cpu. most important though, can we please get a four row hardware keyboard?
also, we need at LEAST 200dpi screen, and of course, capacitive touch screen is a must these days!

also, how about usb3? and the camera- if you dont ship it with a tripod, 21mp camera, and telescopic 32x zoom, you arent going to sell any devices.

also, for 700 euros, can you at least replace the slider with a 50W laser gun?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
ooh, n900++, great also, for 700 euros, can you at least replace the slider with a 50W laser gun?
tee hee
tee hee

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Is there any possibility of supporting ANT+ and upgrade to Blueetooth 4.0 in Neo900?. There are many chips that implement both standards (dunno about price) and that would be a good improvement over current N900 board.
We'll look into it and consider what can be done. For now BT is integrated with WLAN into one module, and replacing that module by a different type is nearly impossible.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!