Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
What one has to learn from this one?
One of the best ways to kill a project is to give it a name which is hard to read.
The rumors of Maemo's death are highly exaggerated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I've said that in this way to enhance my feeling that there is much greater audience for projects/products with simple names (as for european car industry - when selecting name it's cared that it should sound the same in any language just to create feeling that it's simply for everyone). Anyway I'm sure that great number of people (including Nokia's stuff) are aware of that simple mechanism.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Hey Karel, you're not to be here. Go over to the Ari Jaaksi thread and shout "I told you so!" 3 times; that's your job.
I've got someone covering that for me.

At first, I said may-meo. I realized that I was mispelling it, too. After I straightened myself out on the spelling, I say may-mo. Seems right to me, but what do I know?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Ditto! I've always followed common American English rules for pronouncing it and so I, and my friends and colleagues, always pronounced it as "may-mo".

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Ma == "Pan"
e == "do"
mo == "ra"
Your signature, fine. Talking in discussions about Pandora, sure. But this kind of spam post is lame...
I thought it was funny. :P Replying to it just keeps it alive, though, you know.

Dammit.. and now I did it too. Man, I KEEP falling for that!

Does the pronunciation of this word really matter? The answer, of course, is a resounding "No."

Also, someone may have brought this up already (I wouldn't know, as I don't bother reading a bunch of worthless posts by someone other than myself ), but how does this qualify as news? That's a rhetorical question, by the way; it doesn't require a response.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
"Hello, my name is Ari Jaaksi and I pronounce 'maemo' as 'maemo'."

How about including such a sound file in the maemo SDK for audio instead of the dummy files?

Completely aside from any Maemo pronunciation, what is up with this Sony as "sunny"? Really, I don't think Sony ever intended their name to be pronounced like that. A quick search even turns up that it's a combination of sonus and sonny, and was also chosen for it's simple pronunciation...which would point to Sony and not "sunny". Also the name of the company is written in katakana as ソニー, which would be sonii. Again, that's the way it's pronounced. Absolutely no indication of it ever trying to be said as "sunny".

I am glad we have ONE thread with REAL substance here tonight!