Posts: 57 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Belgium
Hi all,

Does anybody (who received already his Nokia 770) know if it's possible to play divx videos with the current Nokia 770 ? Does somebody have already experience with it ?

I was thinking about the following : when sitting on the train, waiting for the bus, etc. after plugging in a 1 GB RS-MMC containing a divx movie, ... it would be nice if the Nokia 770 could play it.

I am a bit afraid that the current availability of RAM would not be sufficient ?

Cheers, Jan

Divx/Xvid movies use far to much CPU time to run properly on the device unfortunatly

The Following User Says Thank You to Tainek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I'm not sure about that : TCPMP can handle non reformated DivX on a Palm ...
And if the DSP can be used ...

O Fred

i hope i'm wrong then

So, for the moment it's still not clear if it works, or can work with the appropriate software, or that the hardware isn't made for it.

Take a look at this page. If you convert your video files to the right format, they should work on the 770. I converted 9 episodes of red vs. blue (originally divx files, small ones though) with settings mentioned on that wiki page, and they run great! I haven't tried any bigger files yet though (the converted files were about 10mb each, I managed to squeeze them all in ).

I can vouch for RealNitro's comments. I've ripped a load of video at the smallest size settings and the results are quite good. I have found that the Video player is pretty picky though

Hi, thanks for this usefull information. Since I don't have my Nokia 770 yet (stock sold out already) I would like to know the following :

- the size of a converted divx movie (for example a divx movie of 700 MB) after using the memcoder, will the result fit on a 512 MB RS-MMC ?
- the result of playing such a converted movie on the Nokia 770

Cheers, Jan

Jan,

I can't answer your question but I can provide some information that may help.

I rip my original DVDs at 640*480, 500kbps, 25fps and 128bit audio - so I can watch them on a laptop without them looking too bad on the large screen.

The I used the menplayer settings from the Wiki to reduce the size, frame rate and audio quality so they play on my 770.

A 90 minute film (the two part Pilot to Firefly - Serenity) starts out at about 330meg and reduces to 230. A 40 minute episode goes from 190meg to about 110. These play OK on the 770, though there are some artefacts and from opening the file to playback start takes a while.

Compare to my iPaq 4700 this is quite weak - the iPaq will play the originals using TCMP with no problems. But then it is three time as fast on clock speed alone.