Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by macolar View Post
hi, i wonder if it would be possible to add function tol delete all mms messeges at once...or to choose which to delete as in sms app... it is very frustrating to delete 1 by 1 =)
As I recall, all the fMMS data lives in /home/user/.fmms. If you nuke that folder (may require you also uninstall and re-install fMMS) then all your MMS go away in one swoop.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Milan - Italy
still having problems here (italy with voda) still receiving advertisement messagges from voda but not pop-up messages when I receive a new message from my friends and if I chck fmsm window and see the fmms arriving when I try to download it... it gives me error...

I',ve alo tried to send mms to myself... it sends but when I try to download it appears the same error "unable to download"...

Last edited by alexporta; 2012-04-27 at 09:56.

sorry but... no news?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by alexporta View Post
still having problems here (italy with voda) still receiving advertisement messagges from voda but not pop-up messages when I receive a new message from my friends and if I chck fmsm window and see the fmms arriving when I try to download it... it gives me error...

I',ve alo tried to send mms to myself... it sends but when I try to download it appears the same error "unable to download"...
Same behaviour here with KP50 (unrelated, as I tested with stock also) and almost eveything from devel
I do not get the notification. I have to open fMMS manually. And on tapping on the message the connection opens and it tries to download, but fails ("Vorgang fehlgeschlagen").
I am on Vodafone, Germany.
And btw I am able to send MMS. So I agree to woody, that this is probably something with network!??

Anybody out there that knows whats going on?
I have checked log file and (some) code, but to no avail.
I think I will follow woodys advice and call -educated knowing member of- hotline next week (I am loving it ), if nobody can point me to the source of this problem.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
There was definitely something send to me yesterday, but I get no notifications at all with KP50, and i'm on T-Mobile DE. Not while on 2G and not while registered with 3G service. But it seems i can send...
Do you have any more info, even it is different network, but same country?

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
if nobody can point me to the source of this problem.
It is very likely they updated their IMEI database to include the ranges for the N900. Since the N900 didn't have MMS support out of the box, it probably has been shifted to off for any device with that MMS range. Depending on the vendor, they may be able to switch an individual customer, but most have to change the settings for the whole range (eg all IMEI for all N900).

The default software for N900, if it gets an MMS with no fMMS installed, will silently ignore MMS message.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks woody,

but that is what I am afraid of: the need to get someone on the hotline to talk about that technical stuff

OK, it is on my todo list.
And I will report back ....

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
It is very likely they updated their IMEI database to include the ranges for the N900. Since the N900 didn't have MMS support out of the box, it probably has been shifted to off for any device with that MMS range. Depending on the vendor, they may be able to switch an individual customer, but most have to change the settings for the whole range (eg all IMEI for all N900).

The default software for N900, if it gets an MMS with no fMMS installed, will silently ignore MMS message.
but why I receive advertising MMS from vodafone? and they donwload (push mms) and when some one send me and mms failed?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Whoops Woody - it is not as simple as that.
The advertising is delivered by one subsystem here, that seems to have its own quipment register. This is a separate and maintained by those collecting the revenue from the advertising.
The operator IMEI is individual for every handset, or better, at least is should be. Some consultants seems to believe they can muck around here and sets the bits as Christmas candles. Just as with the candles, if someone sneeze they go off. The capability to send and receive MMS is not a core GSM functionality.It is not in the IMEI register which has a well defined operator functionality. There are a number of companies that deliver systems that take any IMEI and identifies settings and capability, including support of MMS - and which variants that are supported. Well what is more Italian than using one system for advertising and another for customer support? Many of these systems will recognise when you send an MMS that the N900 for some reason support it. Anyone with problems here: Call their operator and complain, explain that you have fMMS installed, and most systems will allow the representative to set it. But do not expect that this will work in another country! With one bit it is very difficult to state "Maybe".

The Following User Says Thank You to knuthf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by knuthf View Post
Whoops Woody - it is not as simple as that.
The initial question was why MMS worked and now it does not, and they don't even get notices any more. The answer, almost always, is that the provider updated their database and disabled MMS on all N900. So yes, it is in fact as simple as that.

The advertising is delivered by one subsystem here, that seems to have its own quipment register.
That's quite possible, but again, this is not about some getting through, etc. This is about lack of getting MMS where you once did before.

On a side note: Personally, I wouldn't stay with an operator that's allowing advertisers raw access to their internal network. That's just asking for trouble.

The operator IMEI is individual for every handset, or better, at least is should be.
Yes, but the IMEI is broken up by model and vendor as well. Most larger companies (like Nokia) order a specific range and keep a database that they offer to operators that indicates what the model and features each device supports, and what their IMEI TAC or SN range is.

The capability to send and receive MMS is not a core GSM functionality.It is not in the IMEI register which has a well defined operator functionality.
You misunderstand.

When Nokia sends someone a database of which IMEI ranges are for what models, that same database also usually contains data about what each model has for a feature set. Can it do IMS? Does it have Wifi? What frequencies can it use? What compression protocols does it know? It also commonly lists if the model supports basic features, like e-mail, instant messaging, voice call notification messages, and MMS.

Before your provider was saying you had an "unknown device", and probably allows MMS on unknown devices, assuming it supports it. Now they updated their database, and it's saying you have an N900, which doesn't support MMS (out of the box), so they're not sending them along any more.

And yes, other networks may do things differently, so if you roam to another network, they may in fact change if MMS can get to you, based on if they have the N900 listed in their database or not.

The best thing to do is ask the carrier to change the setting for your number. Some carriers can toggle that per user. Smart providers have the system enable it automatically if you send a MMS from the device.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
OK, it is on my todo list.
One silly question... typical IT reply, but it wasn't asked:

Have you uninstalled/reinstalled fMMS? Maybe something else you did clobbered the settings in some way? Can't hurt to try...

Also, if you're getting MMS notices (pushes) but can't download, that sounds more like a settings issue. It could be your provider changed the name/IP of the MMS gateway. Most devices with full MMS support can get those changes via a push to the device (often via a sim push/update). The N900 lacks both native MMS support and sim tools. Check their web site and make sure your MMS gateway settings are correct still. (And if they're not please update the wiki and reply here once you've fixed it. )

Edit:
One other thought, If you have a separate advertiser (like knuthf mentioned) it may be the MMS settings for that service are different than the one for your main provider. That would suck, but would explain if you can get some MMS but not all of them.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-07-24 at 00:28.

Tags
bada rox, bada rulez, fmms, mms, mms config, n900, python