Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Meran, Italy
Daer all,

are there any schematics available for the neo900 (other than N900 and Gta04)? Which software is going to be used for the hardware design? Is the HW development visible somewhere? I mean, are there nightly schematics?

Sorry if I am so curious...

pkz

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
There don't exist any schematics for GTA04-NeoN yet. The software used will probably be eagle. The hw development won't be "visible" except maybe for special project supporters who donate exceptional amounts for hw prototype development and PV. We ponder to create a "club" for those contributors, so they can watch what's happening thanks to their donations.
We're not planning to turn hw development into any kind of "democratic" community driven process. OM tried to do that, it turned out to not work.
Anyway all that has not been decided upon yet, we're not in that phase yet.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-26 at 00:09.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
This is really good project you guys are working on, I love that efforts are being put in.

But I am very uncomfortable with the base price of 300 Euro's. I would expect a price in the range of 100-150 Euro's at max at start. Ofcourse this would depend on what are the prices of the components and the labor costs of manufacturing these.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaReaper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by DaReaper View Post
This is really good project you guys are working on, I love that efforts are being put in.

But I am very uncomfortable with the base price of 300 Euro's. I would expect a price in the range of 100-150 Euro's at max at start. Ofcourse this would depend on what are the prices of the components and the labor costs of manufacturing these.
Base price is actually more something like 700 Euro and it's unlikely to get cheaper. This is the cost of manufacturing in low quantities. With millions of orders, the price would drop to 100-150. With only 200-300, it's ~700.

This is not overpricing in the Apple way - produce for 100 and sell for 500. Those are the real costs of manufacturing which unfortunately cannot be simply skipped. Devices created for the needs of small niches will always be much more expensive than ones aimed to the masses.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Base price is actually more something like 700 Euro and it's unlikely to get cheaper. This is the cost of manufacturing in low quantities. With millions of orders, the price would drop to 100-150. With only 200-300, it's ~700.

This is not overpricing in the Apple way - produce for 100 and sell for 500. Those are the real costs of manufacturing which unfortunately cannot be simply skipped. Devices created for the needs of small niches will always be much more expensive than ones aimed to the masses.
Good luck with the sales! I guess the team will be needing it. That's a massive quote of price, which is beyond my budget. There's the diamond on one hand and technology overpriced in a different way to depreciate over years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaReaper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
joerg_rw, i have an ideea. I can send a mail to gsmarena.com to post this project on theyr website on the news as a new phone announcement. This could bring us a lot more users. What do you say?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland, Rauma
I too like the idea to replace n900 "motherboard" with more powerful piece, but I do have more important things to spend 700 Eur. Even 300 Eur would be hard to justify, because with that amount you can have a whole smartphone (not as good, but...).
Sadly the screen of n900 is outdated. It can be used with maemo, but for example with nitdroid it's pain to use.
I would buy one board for max ~300 Eur. Just to give my old'n'faithful n900 new life. With 700 Eur you can have whole phone With Ubuntu Edge specs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svalavuo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by svalavuo View Post
With 700 Eur you can have whole phone With Ubuntu Edge specs.
Ahhh yes. I see. And where exactly is ubuntu edge available now? ;-)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...77#post1376477

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-26 at 14:10.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Ahhh yes. I see. And where exactly is ubuntu edge available now? ;-)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...77#post1376477
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

AWWWWW!!!! 'BUNTU FALL-DOWN-GO-BOOM XD

AND I TOO OBJECT AT THE OVER-INFLATED PRICE....In fact I object that 100-150 EU is far too liberal and high a price point for such a niche device that offers so much.

The price should be way less...

Nay....In fact..... it should come in my Family Size Bulk Econo-Pak of Rice Crispies...WITH the toy as well.

HUMOUR ASIDE ...I do believe that people expecting ANY advancement in maemo as a device line MUST come to SOME approximation of sanity.
the big boys (MS, Android, Iphone) have the corp. clout with tons of staff, resources, and user/buyer base that alone measures purchasing parts in monstrous bulk and as a consequence it becomes cheaper...then they produce a number of units AT LEAST in the 6 digit realm ...if not 7.
We DON'T HAVE THOSE NUMBERS ... as clearly as the voting shows...hence I believe we are lucky if we can get them is at the 700 EU guesstimate.

Reality Check again: How much was a brand new many-flawed nokia n900 when it 1st came out? (and yes time has elapsed and parts should be cheaper...the SAME parts that is...more modern =more expensive all can agree....so back to the question...)
ANSWER: in Europe it was 500-650 EU (depending on which country)
in the US it was around 650-700 US
and here in CANADA we paid at least 800 CAN

SO ...here we are ...'tween OpenMoko and the maemo community ..a BETTER device is on it's way and I honestly am amazed that the price isn't triple or quadruple...considering .

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-09-26 at 18:08. Reason: silliness aside...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by DaReaper View Post
Good luck with the sales! I guess the team will be needing it. That's a massive quote of price, which is beyond my budget. There's the diamond on one hand and technology overpriced in a different way to depreciate over years.
So you don't read this thread, repeat some unnecessary question again, don't like the obvious answer, then say no contributing words at all, for this community project ?

While the CEO's of Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc, lie each day about lack of privacy, NSA, etc. And people don't show any criticism against them.

Lessons :
1) be a lyar, billionaire.
2) don't be honest and don't try to contribute in community projects.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!