Where Nokia is heading is obvious, the N9 was the last Maemo-based mobile phone, upcoming devices will therefore be based on Windows Phone.
However, I love both my N900 and my N9 so much that I'm actually not willing to accept that the Maemo concept, the combination of open source plus professional ecosystem backend from Nokia (like Maps and Music) should have no future!
Intels mobile Atom platform is ready for production now, and as well Motorola as Lenovo have unveiled Intel-based smartphones.
Also, an Intel-Z2460 based tablet hast been spotted already.
Wouldn't it be amazing to get an Intel powered mobile device such as a tablet which is running Maemo and which is also binary compatible with current Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora distributions?
I also love the amazing swipe gestures of the N9 - I never want to miss them again!
Since there are some other Linux based smartphone projects such as Ubuntu or Openmoko, I only wonder how much of the current maemo infrastructure could be transferred to those?

What actually is Meltemi?
I really don't believe that there is still active Linux research going on at Nokia, but this project is mentioned from time to time...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The future is bright! Im still using nokia 3210, still no nokia support Working great anyway!

Meltimi is nothing so far. It could be everything or nothing. In fact it could be or evolve to Maemo of 2013. Who knows. Let's hope so.

You can be sure they still looking into linux and future OSes!

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-02-14 at 13:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oh god, not again...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sr00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, Again! Bring it...You have no idea how this thread turns out this time

I don't believe for a second that we have seen the last Linux OS for SmartAssPhones from Nokia. Wait and see

EDIT: From this interview with the Boss Man I can conclude that at least 2/3 of nokia's developers working on apps for pilots

Great read!

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4395...w-uk-exclusive

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-02-14 at 14:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Who wrote this? I know it wasent Elop If its written in wikipedia it must be true.

http://t.co/mcDEetsq

"Having no support from Nokia and with market restricions, the one and only N9 model has reached sales estimated to be between 1.5 and 2 million units. In a comparable period, 3 cheaper Lumia smartphones, sold in the most affluent markets, with the biggest marketing support by Nokia ever and with massive multi-hundred-million dollar marketing budget by Microsoft reached 600,000 unit sales combined. The N9 outsells Lumia in average 3 to 1 in sold units. Considering the higher price of N9 this means N9 model generates sagnificantly more income and revenue for Nokia than all 3 Lumia devices combined."

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Re: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4395...w-uk-exclusive

This article urges me to just barf into a fountain; like Brits during summer on Ibiza or Crete.

Originally Posted by inte View Post
Where Nokia is heading is obvious, the N9 was the last Maemo-based mobile phone, upcoming devices will therefore be based on Windows Phone.
However, I love both my N900 and my N9 so much that I'm actually not willing to accept that the Maemo concept, the combination of open source plus professional ecosystem backend from Nokia (like Maps and Music) should have no future!
Intels mobile Atom platform is ready for production now, and as well Motorola as Lenovo have unveiled Intel-based smartphones.
Also, an Intel-Z2460 based tablet hast been spotted already.
Wouldn't it be amazing to get an Intel powered mobile device such as a tablet which is running Maemo and which is also binary compatible with current Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora distributions?
I also love the amazing swipe gestures of the N9 - I never want to miss them again!
Since there are some other Linux based smartphone projects such as Ubuntu or Openmoko, I only wonder how much of the current maemo infrastructure could be transferred to those?

What actually is Meltemi?
I really don't believe that there is still active Linux research going on at Nokia, but this project is mentioned from time to time...
the future is bleak! but hopefully not so bleak that we have to replace Arm with Intel in mobile devices. I don't want my mobile device to melt away and shut down. Intel is playing a desperate game of catch up with Arm, a game they will not win. and since they will not win on mobile devices, dont bet your future on Intel stocks

anyways, I also dont accept that Nokia has given the Linux community a cold shoulder, but the worst is in my opinion that the Linux Kernel side, GNU, KDE and Gnome is so far behind in making Linux/GNU available on mobile platforms. And I am not counting binary blobs solutions, although they are better than Android, Ios and Winphone. I am talking about the freedom to install your own Linux solutions on mobile platforms like we currently can on PCs.
There has ofcourse been some progress on Mobile platforms, a worthy mention is ofcourse Maemo, Meego, Mer, Tizen, WebOS(perhaps), Hildon, Plasma active.

We need more, we need to conquer the mobile platform. Like Microsoft, Intel and some others, the Linux/GNU/open source/free community has missed the mobile revolution. Where are all the Linux distroes for Ipad? For Samsung galaxy? For android devices? for smartphones? for tablets?

This is the main problem. and dont tell me its difficult or the hardware is complex and closed, because its not in the original spirit of the free community to give up.

how wonderful would it be to have Maemo as a Linux distribution from Nokia with support from some future updated devices? that would be fantastic and brilliant?

how likely is it now that Nokia has sold out? Not very likely.

The Following User Says Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
As far as I remember Nokia was always "cheap" in terms of modern processors. Maybe there is a chance that they want position 1-core N9 and similar future phones (Meltemi) as medium-end and put modern 2-cores to WindowsPhone as a high-end. Especially after false start of Lumia line

The Following User Says Thank You to marcinj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Meltemi is about Qt. Why else would Nokia still invest so much in Qt and not sell it completely to Digia? Just for keeping Symbian on maintenance state for a few years? Certainly not. Qt 4.8 will be the last Qt release for Symbian, according to Nokia @ Qt Dev Days 2011. Qt 5 will be on Meltemi.
But I don't think that Meltemi will be Maemo or be based on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The future of Maemo is more than likely the same as other systems that were well loved, willing to be taken care of by their highly involved communities - think Zaurus and Familiar Linux for iPaq - and ultimately will end up the same fate as those aforementioned projects; forgotten and poorly managed due to proprietary components.

With that said I hope that's not the case. But if Nokia was happy to let Maemo get to "bastard stepchild" status since 2006 to now, my doubts that it will be truly open sourced and released to the masses is that much lesser. I do not wish that, however I feel as if that's going to be the case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: