Active Topics

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I can think of NO currently available map program open source OR commercial on a mobile device that offers this feature. Holy **** it would be a killer feature.
Indeed, 3D terrain and globe view (as in Google Earth and Marble) is planned and I hope my implementation will deliver it without sacrificing smooth operation. It requires a lot of work though. It will surely be educating and fun to do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
A little teaser from next version:

Will be released in next couple of days.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
Nice app but it has very old maps as default and also I'm missing a menu. Do you considering adding a map compression and a travelsalesman function like a minimum spanning tree. I've wrote such an app. A tsp instance with pickup and delivery function would be nice too.
What do you mean by very old maps?

Very basic route planning will be there in next version - it will allow to select route start and end and it will get directions from Google Maps or CloudMade and draw them. Full TSP (in other words routing with waypoints) will be there in one of next versions.

Support for sqllite tile storage is also comming (this summer). App menu (at least with few functions) is planned before end of current month.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post

Very basic route planning will be there in next version - it will allow to select route start and end and it will get directions from Google Maps or CloudMade and draw them. Full TSP (in other words routing with waypoints) will be there in one of next versions.

Support for sqllite tile storage is also comming (this summer). App menu (at least with few functions) is planned before end of current month.
I am not ashamed. I love you Dwaradzyn. (no homo).

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post

I have noticed that Open Street Map has maps that are outdated by several years in some areas. I think that is what he means.

Will it be able to share the sqlite tile storage with other apps (like modRana for example)?

an option to keep backlight on would be nice too, I want to do a comparison between different apps and also compare how the use of 3d hardware acc. affect battery useage.unfortunately i havent had very much free time to do it myself yet, has anyone else done some comparison on that?

Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
A menu would be very useful. If you plan to add a full tsp do you check if the data satisfy the triangle inequality? My CS-teacher is asking me this all the time. I would like to see a full tsp with pickup and delivery, too.
As the name suggests CloudGPS uses cloud based services. For example routing algorithm is handled by external web service (such as Google Maps Directions). For now I do not have to implement low level algorithms.

In distant future I plan to start working on vector rendering and all-offline functionality using OSM data. Even then I would not be coding everything from scratch. There is for example a ready to use routing daemon for OSM called monav.

Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
I have noticed that Open Street Map has maps that are outdated by several years in some areas. I think that is what he means.
Some areas have much better coverage than commercial alternatives but others lack. Well OSM works like Wikipedia. Everyone can contribute.

Will it be able to share the sqlite tile storage with other apps (like modRana for example)?
Yes.

an option to keep backlight on would be nice too, I want to do a comparison between different apps and also compare how the use of 3d hardware acc. affect battery useage.unfortunately i havent had very much free time to do it myself yet, has anyone else done some comparison on that?
Backlight keeping is already implemented but does not work due to some bug. I will investigate it.

I do not know about any battery life comparisons done for different apps. I suspect that CloudGPS will be the most power hungry app in test like that. It is easy to see why: smooth transitions and animations are equal constant redrawing. For now this is exactly what I want - use full device potential to deliver smoothness even at the cost of battery life.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
@dwaradzyn i wish i could send you some cake for awesome work on cloudgps keep up the great work mate

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
This app is great!!! I use it every day.
BTW. Can You do something with entering numbers in search?
Because now You have to press and hold blue arrow to enter number.

I was a longer trip with car, I used your app, and there is some practical advice (in preference order):

- Full offline mode (I preload the map tiles, but the app every half hour pop a connect window).
- Zoom (not map zoom), to see the letters. Maybe double pixel mode? N900 have good screen resolution, but in a moving car you can't read the label of cities or streets.
- Set contrast. In some map there isn't enough contrast, so you can't see the streets in a sunny summer day.
- Upside down portrait mode. (As I wrote before: because N900 charger's placement)
- If you set a marker as a target, you need an arrow, which is show the target's position if it isn't in screen.
- Permanent markers (or POIs). (To find those quick.)

I know these are many works, so I am patient, and if you share the source, I try to help you. May I get the current sources? I want to help you with implement some simple features, but the sources in the garage are 6 months old. (Or I can't found those...)

I like your app, it was very helpful the last some days, I will send you some donation today.

The Following User Says Thank You to atya For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atya View Post
I was a longer trip with car, I used your app, and there is some practical advice (in preference order):

- Full offline mode (I preload the map tiles, but the app every half hour pop a connect window).
Will be there soon (this summer).

- Zoom (not map zoom), to see the letters. Maybe double pixel mode? N900 have good screen resolution, but in a moving car you can't read the label of cities or streets.
Double pixel mode is already there. Hold Shift and tap zoom out icon to see it. Bigger font for menus and status bar needs proper TTF and unicode support. TTF support will be quite easy (because of SDL_TTF) but there are problems with unicode.

SDL 1.2 does not have full support for unicode, and SDL 1.3 does not work on N900. This is something I would like to be helped with - deliver national characters input with hw keyboard and SDL. Anyone willing to help?

- Set contrast. In some map there isn't enough contrast, so you can't see the streets in a sunny summer day.
If you can live with OSM maps you can use CloudMade with custom map style. I planned to provide inverted colors (because its performance cost is zero). Adjusting image without shaders would be pretty CPU intensive. I will consider adding contrast setup in future. For now there are more needed features like multiple layers support.

- Upside down portrait mode. (As I wrote before: because N900 charger's placement)
- If you set a marker as a target, you need an arrow, which is show the target's position if it isn't in screen.
- Permanent markers (or POIs). (To find those quick.)
Will be there soon.

I know these are many works, so I am patient, and if you share the source, I try to help you. May I get the current sources? I want to help you with implement some simple features, but the sources in the garage are 6 months old. (Or I can't found those...)

I like your app, it was very helpful the last some days, I will send you some donation today.
Please wait a few days and when 0.5.x will be released the sources will be available in extras-devel. Right now I am working on them and they are not really ready to be released. If you want latest published sources (for version 0.4.8) you can find them here: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...ce/c/cloudgps/

Tags
best gps app