Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Still, there's something to be said when the Galaxy Note, inbetween a gazillion other Android devices of all shapes and sizes, managed to sell 10M units in just 9 months, that's probably a lot more than all Maemo and MeeGo devices combined over the past 7 years!
There is definitely room for huge phones, I for one love them. I'm just saying there's room for highend normal sized phones too (as there is for qwerty sliders, or touch'n'types). It's just that all the manufacturers decide on a form factor each year and go for it like there's no tomorrow. Remember the clamshell craze after the RAZR? Nokia still made any imaginable form factor and sold well. (Dual sliders, Swivels, lipstick phones, the n-gage, the 7710)

On the tablet front, I'd go for ipad3 if I wanted a content consumer, or a X86 if I wanted versatility, but I fear that battery life on x86 is still low for worry-free couch-surfing

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Ha ha ha what did I tell you? http://m.engadget.com/2012/10/03/sam...eng_latest_art

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Buy a Beagle Board XM and an LCD expansion, u got more than a tablet.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nexus 7 if you want the smaller size. I'm personally loving mine.

I have the new iPad. I can't say that it's a joy all of the time. Google Chrome, et al is great and there's a few apps - like Fifty Three - that make it totally worthwhile.

But in the end, I can live mostly on my Android tablet.
I agree.
Bought my Nexus 7 last week for playing around with Android
for the first time and I like it.
Crisp clear display, fast and responsive.
I am only beginning to learn about this device.

There are some strange things in comparison to my N900:
programs (why do they call it "app"? ;-) ) very often do not seem
to have the close-X somewhere on the GUI, only a few have this and close correctly, the others remain in the background doing nothing and there you have to swipe to kill them.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
EDIT: I forgot to mention that tablets in general are not that useful. Sure, they are cool, but I cannot imagine any task they're special for (maybe except for reading PDF's and magazines). So, unless you have really good use for it, I'd think twice before buying one.
ACK.

I bought my Nexus 7 just for playing with Android for the first time,
for reading, looking up something in the net quickly
and have a slightly larger screen than my beloved N900.
Since it only has WLAN, this is all I can do and it fullfills the
requirements.
There are office programs but who wants to write longer documents on a screen keyboard?
I never thought about making the Nexus 7 portable but maybe I will take a look into having N900 giving tethering to the Nexus, which is an overkill somehow.

If one has to do real work, he should buy a light-weight notebook
with a real OS (Linux).

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
So will Windows Tablets be able to install Desktop Softwares? I mean they both use Windows 8.....

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
So will Windows Tablets be able to install Desktop Softwares? I mean they both use Windows 8.....
No. No the RT version. But the Prowill. Take a look at surface pro and I'm sure other vendors will come up with pro versions when windows 8 soon to hit markets.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No. No the RT version. But the Prowill. Take a look at surface pro and I'm sure other vendors will come up with pro versions when windows 8 soon to hit markets.
In that case Pro is the most ideal..... I'm run Printing & Graphic Design jobs, it could be cool to carry something that light along with all my designs, visit printing companies and print easier without Big Laptop bags and chargers. Meet a client, easily pull it out and show off designs and make changes right there.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
The price tag seems to be quite high for the Intel version.
I read that this may be around 800 to 1.000 USD according to
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Surfac...tober-1028521/

A tablet for 800 to 1000USD?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
A tablet for 800 to 1000USD?
Not only that, for many people you can probably add the Touch Cover or Type Cover to that price.