Active Topics

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by n810_itt View Post
fifth, don't forget to reinstall the initfs (flash with the program entry in utilities under maemo) after you modified the item file; for me, this wasn't picked up automatically!
Thanks, i did reflash the boot loader but still no joy On a second attempt i tried refresh_bootmenu.d just to be sure, but still no joy.

It now just reboots after the text message booting from ... I guess the ext3 partition might have been corrupted among my attempts, going to start over and see how it goes

Last edited by fifth; 2009-03-22 at 23:28.

Now got everything installed and booting, but ...

have got the same problem as n810_itt, the boot progress bar stalls about 99%

Have tried going back in with chroot and doing a full upgrade but still stalling.

I have the same problem with Ubuntu filling the progress bar to the very end and stopping there. I have installed only env-base and I am using the Mer bootloader.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
If the progress bar stalls at the very end, i believe it means u are missing a Desktop Environment such as gnome/kde/xfce/lxde/etc or the DE is not configured to startup correctly . I always boot up by holding the home key as soon as i select ubuntu form the boot menu to reach the recovery menu and then choose activate console on frame buffer to be able to monitor the loading progress as well as be presented with a shell login when it is done. I dont use gdm so i login through the console and then just startx ( i have gdm-core installed instead of ubuntu-desktop)

Hope this helps some1

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to born2wonder For This Useful Post:
just tried installing sys-env-x, but there are a bunch of missing files... is there an updated sys-env-x?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by dantrevino View Post
just tried installing sys-env-x, but there are a bunch of missing files... is there an updated sys-env-x?
Make sure u run apt-get update first.

Originally Posted by dantrevino View Post
Doing an 'apt-get update' fixed the issue, which should have been obvious, but this should be added to the instructions.

tia,
dan

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fifth View Post
Now got everything installed and booting, but ...

have got the same problem as n810_itt, the boot progress bar stalls about 99%

Have tried going back in with chroot and doing a full upgrade but still stalling.
It might be that the xserver doesn't start, download this file http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Emer-c...bx-3/xorg.conf (xorg.conf that Mer uses) and put it in /etc/X11/ and see if it helps.

Thanks meizirkki, tried that but still stalls.

I Think born2wonder could be right on the login manager. I didn't install any of the 'optional' packages. Going to try that now.

As an aside, is it possible to switch VT's on the n810? I tried various key combinations without success and holding the menu key while booting still takes me through the normal boot procedure.

Thanks meizirkki, but sadly the updated xorg.conf also does not work. Will check further into this problem...

Tags
gnome, kde, ubuntu