Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
My USB port is also broken now after 18 months~ of careful use :/
im going to quote south park now.

We didn't listen!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by addaiadjei2003 View Post
I was wondering if anyone can be of help to me cos when i use the usb/ wall charger to charge the phone and after i have disconnected from the pc or the wall socket, the battery will still be charging. What could be the possible cause, is it the charger/usb fault or the usb port is broken....
Do you mean that after you unplug the remote end of the cable, it still shows as charging until you unplug the local end? I think that's a software problem rather than any hardware issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iceman358 View Post
News flash.
I am still without a phone.
I have requested that my N900 should be changed with an E7, but I have not heard from Nokia since.
Also, for you that need a replacement phone to sell to buy something new, know that the replacement device, in the EU anyway, has 2 years guarantee from Nokia. And that you should request something like a receipt for the replacement phone and a 2-year guarantee. (I turned into a law scholar for godamn nokia...)
I sent to warranty and got E7 (was not usb port issue, was other problem, but i have friends who got N8 or E7 from warranty because usb issue) i live Finland so i got in 2 weeks the phone.
i was very mad, i called to nokia and asked "how i now suppose to code or do things with phone with Symbian lol, and how i go to partys without FM-Transmitter/spotify combination.. so they said they cant do anything about it.

There is no n900 there available anymore, and PCB also not available, so be careful with usb port. Only solution is sell E7 and get second hand n900 (like i done).. but how long there is N900:s...

Originally Posted by riku2015 View Post
I sent to warranty and got E7 (was not usb port issue, was other problem, but i have friends who got N8 or E7 from warranty because usb issue) i live Finland so i got in 2 weeks the phone.
i was very mad, i called to nokia and asked "how i now suppose to code or do things with phone with Symbian lol, and how i go to partys without FM-Transmitter/spotify combination.. so they said they cant do anything about it.

There is no n900 there available anymore, and PCB also not available, so be careful with usb port. Only solution is sell E7 and get second hand n900 (like i done).. but how long there is N900:s...
Hello there. Could you tell me the package that you received your replacement E7? Because they tried to pass me a replacement N8 in bubblewrap, which I cannot sell for a sufficient amount of money.. PS, Greece... :P

Hi there,

my USB port also broke of.
I managed to solder a replacement port on the PCB. Now I have some problems, that the N900 will not always recognise when I plug the wall charger in. In that case, it will not charge.
What is even more strange: IF it is charging, it will not recognize when plug the wall charger OFF - it keeps thinking to be charging.
Rebooting helps then, so I can live with that. But still, very strange..

Any idea, whats going on there?

After experimenting, I can now give a slightly more detailed description of the behaviour:

1.) When booting with wall charger, the phone does charge. When I unplug the wall charger it will STILL indicate that it is charging. It will NOT recognize being plugged to PC via USB.

2.) When booting unplugged, it will act normally, that is, it will recognize being plugged into a PC. Mass storage mode works, PC suite I cannot tell at the moment. However, it will NOT recognize the wall charger being plugged in, it does not appear to be charging.

btw ... is this the correct thread for such a more technical question?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
My USB port is also broken now after 18 months~ of careful use :/
Because you did not solder down the jacket, you should have done this a long time ago not left it.

We have warned everyone and you just do not listen

The usb port WILL break no matter what you do or how carefull you are as it is only a matter of time so PLEASE PLEASE get inside of it and solder the jacket of the usb port re the instructions which are VERY clear to understand.

Originally Posted by GluonBall View Post
Hi there,

my USB port also broke of.
I managed to solder a replacement port on the PCB. Now I have some problems, that the N900 will not always recognise when I plug the wall charger in. In that case, it will not charge.
What is even more strange: IF it is charging, it will not recognize when plug the wall charger OFF - it keeps thinking to be charging.
Rebooting helps then, so I can live with that. But still, very strange..

Any idea, whats going on there?
You have not soldered the port in properly, you need to do a check of your solder work because it is clear the rear pins are not making with the board and if you cannot get the solder from the pins to the through hole solder then you must hard wire with link wire back to the components re the diagram that is also very clear.

Originally Posted by addaiadjei2003 View Post
I was wondering if anyone can be of help to me cos when i use the usb/ wall charger to charge the phone and after i have disconnected from the pc or the wall socket, the battery will still be charging. What could be the possible cause, is it the charger/usb fault or the usb port is broken....
Sounds to me like you have a short inside the port unless it has patially dislodged and shorting out pins at the rear.

Get it to Nokia care.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You have not soldered the port in properly, you need to do a check of your solder work because it is clear the rear pins are not making with the board and if you cannot get the solder from the pins to the through hole solder then you must hard wire with link wire back to the components re the diagram that is also very clear.
abill_uk, thank you for you response.
I will check the connections again, however, I do not believe that it will help.
1.) Phone does charge, when plugged into wall charger while booting, so GND and +5V are ok
2.) If booting unplugged, I can transfer files in mass storage mode, so Data+ and Data- are ok.
Thats why, I would think it is something more complicated.
Sorry, if I miss something obvious.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty