Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
You either need to apply more pressure than with a capacitive display, yes, or then (as I tend to do) use the fingernail, which works beautifully and with very light pressure... With the added benefit of not leaving fingerprint smudges on the screen.

But yes, if you've used the iPhone, you cannot use it completely the same way.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I guess the key is their perspective of the device is wrong, so there review is to some degree.

They keep calling it a smartphone, but this probably mirrors the perception of over half of the people that have preordered the N900. The device features are truly dead sexy. Smartphoners perhaps are being blinded by its beauty

It will get VERY busy on this board as a result.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-16 at 17:48.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
You either need to apply more pressure than with a capacitive display, yes, or then (as I tend to do) use the fingernail, which works beautifully and with very light pressure... With the added benefit of not leaving fingerprint smudges on the screen.

But yes, if you've used the iPhone, you cannot use it completely the same way.
sure, no fingerprints, but finger-nailing a screen will surely scratch it up eventually.

Here's one new 15min video review in HD from Telefonino(raher good one).
Just in case you still haven't seen all this 100 times already
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybXCVXl85j0

LOL

He was swiping and scrolling like a Resistive Pro ( or is that a Capacitive Virgin)

Mike C

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I just want to give a shoutout to christexaport. Nice write up on the topic.

christexaport @ Nov 16th 2009 1:09PM

I've got to call out Chris Ziegler on this review just a little. I'm so happy you decided to not compare this device to other lesser devices or OSes out there. But I still have some niggles and points I need to make.

There are various video reviews, previews, demos, and hands-on interactions of the N900 online. I'm sure I've watched them all, or at least the major ones. I must say, almost every demo talks about how responsive the screen is, and some have even called it "capacitive-like" or "nearly as responsive as a capacitive display". About the ONLY ones with "negatively tinged" reviews are CZ and Om Malik. They seem unable to get a resistive screen to work, despite having reviewed at least dozens, if not hundreds, of resistive screened devices over the years. Perhaps your nerd muscles need a workout. I suggest the workout DVD "Carpals of Steel" to get that swiping motion up to par. And using the stylus won't require less pressure. Resistive screens are like paper, and the finger is a pencil. You have to press ever so slightly for it to register, and if a kid can do it, you have to question how much skill Chris really has. Notice he has no problem swiping the display early in the video, but as soon as he gets to the display subject, he can't get it to scroll. Give him an Oscar, this master thespian is on a roll!

Chris, like Om, is too fixated on the simple feature sets of the iPhones and G1s of the world, and their reviews fail to look at the N900's precedent setting capabilities that supercede anything available in the market today. Missing was any mention of the open source ecosystem and community behind the Maemo OS to allow the fast implementation of features and apps in days or weeks instead of months and years. Missing was mention of the availability of high quality free software via the APT powered Application Manager, a veritable App Store on steroids without any approval board to control what users want on their devices. No mention of the customizability of the OS, or how all of the hardware was openly accessible to developers without limitations.

I don't think it was very responsible to make such a snap judgement based on a preproduction unit. At least you did make sure and say that it wasn't a final unit, but did you ask if certain features would be added in the final build or ever? Of course prerelease firmware would lack features. I've never heard either Chris or Om call the iPhone or Android devices feature incomplete, when we know they still lack features out of the box to this day. But the N900 is "raw"?? And how is the current status of the Maemo OS called a "hack"? Besides lacking MMS and Screen Rotation for most apps, what makes it so raw? And lacking MMS and portrait mode for most apps means it isn't really "a true smartphone"?? Are you kidding me?! So the non multitasking iPhone isn't a smartphone, but the multitasking, phone calling, 24 live apps at a time, Flash toting, plugin supporting media player packing N900 made by the inventors of the smartphone as we know it today isn't!?! I smell FUD, sprinkled with just a dash of "out yo' bleepin' mind", and its coming from Engadget.

Did you bother telling the public that Nokia has committed to adding MMS, portrait mode for web browsing and other applications in Maemo 5, well before Maemo 6? I did like the comparisons to the N8xx and N97, which set out to pack as many features into the package, are its closest comparable devices, and NOT the iPhone and "Droid", which look to streamline and control the feature set of the device. I am waiting for either Chris or Om to say how the stylus is unecessary unless using software not intended for the N900, that any solid device can work as a stylus alternative, from a finger or toothpick to a car key or corner of the handle of your eyeglasses, and is an advantage over all capacitive devices since they can never use a stylus.

You found many quirks of the N900 far different than most of the common devices out there. Did you ask the reasoning behind these differences? Like why the space bar is on the right instead of the center? I'll bet using it for a few weeks would make it pretty evident. It allows for less thumb travel and finger fatigue when typing for extended periods by placing the space bar at a position where the thumb rests, just like the space bars on desktop PCs. Another actual value adding, accessibility feature you failed to expose, even after all of the information available about these design choices and how they'll benefit the end user.

Now come on and show us the main features users will use on any smartphone, like the available apps or methods to use Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, RSS readers, email, media sharing, messaging, phone calls, and audio/video features. And maybe start mentioning that all of the high end camera phones have thicker sensors and equipment, and will usually be thicker than a typical smartphone with a middling camera.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by dammsaint View Post
they said that you have to apply force to the screen to scroll on web pages but i didnt see any video applying any force.

You guys remember, this is his opinion that, if you like that phone that doesnt count, i dont like the iphone but many users love it, its your choice buy whaterver you want.
Only way I can get an iPhone is if they:

-add a quality camera, minimum 5MP, with xenon and LED flash and an active lens cover and camera button.
-add a hot-swappable memory card slot
-mass storage capability for all the storage areas
-great quality hardware keyboard
-make it so I don't ever have to use iTunes for what I want to do
-great multitasking eg. messengers and skype running in the background anytime I want it
-tv out that lets you show whatever is on the screen
-better screen resolution
-better battery
-better bluetooth support as seen standard on most smart and dumb phones
real push email a la Blackberry's BIS.
etc

Open source has never been an issue but getting an N900 has introduced me to this community and it looks to be great, especially if I get the time to learn to develop. Maybe that will be a requirement for when I look at the next device after this.

The only thing that p?*sses me off is the lack of xenon flash, which I love on the N82, and I'm still unsure about losing that but with so many other features, it's outweighed that at the moment. I can still carry the N82 simless if I need to.

Hehe that's because the n900 isn't a smartphone. It's a god damn portable computer you carry everywhere.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
You beat me to this point. there are nick phones. there are meant for your nails not your fingers. this is the same with the N97. place your thumb on your index fingers first joint. then nick away with your index finger nail. so easy and requires little pressure.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The only thing that p?*sses me off is the lack of xenon flash, which I love on the N82, and I'm still unsure about losing that but with so many other features, it's outweighed that at the moment. I can still carry the N82 simless if I need to.
I am just in the same train. Xenon flash is kinda like capacitive displays (for some people for sure); once you meet it you can never go back

I hope I can carry both (if I can buy a N900) or the next Maemo device includes Xenon flash without excluding any item from N900's feature set.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Last edited by gecebekcisi; 2009-11-17 at 00:04. Reason: found the source