Notices

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by gumer View Post
Let's assume I leave IM/Skype in the background and let the phone go into sleep/suspend/standby mode, put it into pocket etc. Will I get incoming IM's/Skype calls instantly?
Yes, you will.

If yes, will I get at least 8h standby time in this mode on standard battery?
I dunno, as I haven't tried that yet.
According to others in this thread, the answer is yes.

My current understanding is, that maemo has completely different way to handle this, that is:
- while phone goes to sleep, data connections are kept open. Phone will wake up on any incoming packets, the application will instantly check what is going on and the phone will go to sleep again.
AFAIK you are right.

When you put the N900 to sleep mode, the data connections and all the background threads are still running. This means when the Skype client receives an incoming Skype call, it will be able to wake your device up and show the call.

Meaning: it will show a call identically as it does with a phone call. Except that a little Skype logo is there instead of a little phone icon.

As with IMs, it works the same way... except that it won't wake up, just play the IM sound (unless you are in the silent profile), and light up the notification LED (so you can tell if you received any messages just by looking at your device).
More correctly, it plays back the LED pattern you have set. (If this feature is turned on.)

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-08-19 at 10:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
I'm Android user and want to switch. I find it enormously annoying that all IM clients, skype, facebook, twitter, fring etc. pool incoming messages every 10-30 minutes.
The only thing I would warn is that some IM protocols are battery intensive (for some reason..I guess because they need more stayalive connections) For example, I think using MSN will drain your battery pretty quickly.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: