The N900 has a notification light and I am pretty sure the colour of it can be changed as i saw in a screenshot on a review. But I wanted to know if you can change the colour depending on the notification, just as you can with BerryBuzz for Blackberry.

N900's 3G frequencies are 1700 / 2100 / 900, and my carried Vodafone Australia I think runs on 900. So if I buy one of ebay from the US when it is released I should have no problems using it in Australia? Just want to be 100% sure

Is anyone going from a Blackberry to an N900?

Also, will the ebay prices drop once it releases? The current cheapest Amazon pre order price is like $580.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
I doubt Ebay will lower in price anytime soon, if the phone isn't released in Asia for quite some time the only way for them to get it is Ebay which means price will go up, especially with the demand for it in the East. I saw one pre-order on Ebay yesterday and the guy had it listed for $789.

ebay has them for about 700, which is the cheaper end.
but with amazon sellers as low as 580, surely ebay will get cheaper

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by paul. View Post
N900's 3G frequencies are 1700 / 2100 / 900, and my carried Vodafone Australia I think runs on 900. So if I buy one of ebay from the US when it is released I should have no problems using it in Australia? Just want to be 100% sure
by performing a search on maemo.org for 'frequencies, 1700, 2100, 900', i found this thread: 3G in U.S. vs Europe/Asia. from a quick read, it seems the answer is yes. look specifically for the posts by texaslabrat, beginning with this, for some in-depth understanding of how the radios and frequencies work.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
ebay has them for about 700, which is the cheaper end.
but with amazon sellers as low as 580, surely ebay will get cheaper
Not necessarily--considering Amazon will only ship the N900 within the US, whereas Ebay you can go anywhere. If anything we'll see the Ebay prices go even higher if the demand for the phone goes up ( which I'm sure it will ) and Nokia can't keep the supply up.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Vodafone in Australia use 900 and 1800Mhz for GSM and 900 and 2100Mhz for 3G.

I think the 900Mhz 3G is still in the process of being installed across Australia.

Nokia N900 support all these frequencies as well.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
The N900 has a notification light and I am pretty sure the colour of it can be changed as i saw in a screenshot on a review. But I wanted to know if you can change the colour depending on the notification, just as you can with BerryBuzz for Blackberry.
Patterns and Colors of the LED have already been different for Mail/IM/whatever for the N810. Setting your favorite color for your favorite notification in the preferences won't be possible though, I think.

Great!
Thanks for the quick responsed. You have all been very helpful

Can't wait to buy an N900. Looks like a really great phone.

Is anyone else cureently using blackberry switching?

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Great!
Thanks for the quick responsed. You have all been very helpful

Can't wait to buy an N900. Looks like a really great phone.

Is anyone else cureently using blackberry switching?
I am, and can't wait. I'm tired of RIM's slow system. They're awesome at push email, but not at IM, or graphical user interfaces. I have had the bold for 9 months, the storm 2 months, the curve 8300 for 18 months, the pearl 8100 for 2 months, the 8800 for 2 weeks, the Iphone 3g for 2 months (to win a bet), the iphone 2g for 1 month, the sony ericsson xperia x1 for 8 days, the HTC Magic for 5 days, the HTC Touch Dual for 3 weeks.... My list can continue. All of these phones have major flaws. I'm sure the N900 will have its shortcomings. But as far as I can see:

It has a LARGE screen, Qwerty keyboard with good (or so they say) travel (which is a downgrade from the BB kb), 3G connection, wifi & gps, awesome looking UI, completely open source, kick ***** graphics chip, ample memory and 32 gigs of on board space for music, media and docs (and whatever else) and a decent camera!

The best phone I've used for the moment is the BB Bold 9000, or the BB Curve 8900. They're awesome devices. But they'll be put to shame when the N900 comes out

Ahh, I'd also like to point out that BB's data compression is TOP NOTCH, which NO company has even COME CLOSE to replicating. So this in turn has a very good network utilization and battery life. In that respect, the N900 will lose GREATLY. My blackberry can send / receive around 600-800 messages a day on a single battery charge on GPRS, on 3G it's severely diminished. That's what makes or breaks the deal for me on a phone decent battery life. Can I get a full day out of it? I haven't seen the BL-5J battery, but I'm ordering a new one, too, just in case, and if it's small enough I can leave it in my wallet or backpack.

Last edited by zkyevolved; 2009-10-02 at 12:39.

i am currently using the bold. it really is a great phone. i was looking to get the ney onyx 9700. but really it is a smaller and slightly better bold. there is nothing terribly new about it.
i love RIM and my bold is really great, i have gotten used to it and am able to naviagte it with the shortcuts and keyboard really well. but i am looking for something innovative and fun, something that can do everything that my computer can. and the N900 comes very close to that.

maybe oneday i will go back to blackberry, once RIM catches up to the crowd. but currently i am looking forward to the N900.

i am hoping that like my bold it will have a good keyboard, good shortcuts and easy to naviagte, and be able to keep in constant contact and quickly and easily be able to send any sort of message whenever i want to