Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
I would like to ask, what about printing on Maemo? Is there a way to print pictures or other things straight from the device?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
I would like to ask, what about printing on Maemo? Is there a way to print pictures or other things straight from the device?
there have been several solutions - generally they need you have your main computer with linux connected to your printer, and data are sent from the tablet to those devices for printing.
Search for "nprint" or for "cups AND penguinbait"

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
In general, no. Maemo does not include printer drivers, "Print" options in application menus, etc.

That said, if you have a printer that accepts Bluetooth connections, you should be able to send at least photos to it. Some printers may also accept PDF documents that way.

There have also been print servers made that accept plain text files via FTP, though they aren't common.

In the past, the community (specifically Penguinbait and debernardis) have put together printing support packages for Maemo that are based upon desktop Linux printing technologies. However, these add-ons have been huge installs and haven't made it as simple as tapping "Print" in any application. Still, their work has made printing at least more widely possible, and they (or someone else) may continue their work in the Maemo 5 era.

Please see bug #3099, "Network printing support".

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Last week I heard that some of the more technically inclined Maemoans were wondering aloud about supporting printing to wireless and Bluetooth printers.

As a middle course, this sounds smart to me — these aren't the rarities of years past and it provides a clear path for users and limited additional requirements on apps (I think; how wrong am I?).

It's time now for these tech Maemoans to speak up and tell us what and how!

Roger S

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That said, if you have a printer that accepts Bluetooth connections, you should be able to send at least photos to it. Some printers may also accept PDF documents that way.
Or PostScript.

There have also been print servers made that accept plain text files via FTP, though they aren't common.
There are apparently some now that even accept files through SFTP.

In the past, the community (specifically Penguinbait and debernardis) have put together printing support packages for Maemo that are based upon desktop Linux printing technologies. However, these add-ons have been huge installs [..]
My lprng port was pretty small though. apt-cache show lprng says 'Installed size: 3284' (kilobytes).

The reason cups gets so big is that it includes all the powerful filters to convert pdf, postscript, pictures etc. to a format printers understand. This is all stuff that is actually not needed on a client (the tablet), it's for the cups server (the actual cups-compatible printer or cups-server computer with printer).

[..]and haven't made it as simple as tapping "Print" in any application.
Indeedy. This is the biggest problem, because it's completely out of the hands of us printer packages providers. The applications themselves need to have an option to format and forward content to the printer daemon (be that cups, lprng or something else).

Still, their work has made printing at least more widely possible, and they (or someone else) may continue their work in the Maemo 5 era.
This will happen. It may even be that some of the old existing packages will still work out of the box, not being GUI-oriented applications.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
A bit late

While I did port cups it was pretty useless in the default maemo environment as there was no applications that could print. Cups was included with my KDE package which allowed you to print from browser, koffice, pdfviewer, and more while running KDE. It allowed you to print to ANY networked postscript printer. (no other computers needed) Additionally I doubt any my cups stuff would work on maemo5.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
now that n900 contains 32 gigs of space, it shouldn't be that problem to install the cups afterall, right?

The browser is gecko-based, so it could probably extended quite easily - provided that sources are available; don't know about that right now (but there's fennec coming).... some webkit browser woulb surely be trivial to implement (with the qt support built-in)

Add to that ghostview and openoffice port, and we're good to go with network printing - right (or even usb printing, if usb-host turned out possible)?

The real question here therefore is probably not whether it's possible (with n900+/maemo), but whether it's worth the effort - when advanced users will print just fine by the mentioned scp-copy+remote-print method, and regular users will be just hape they are able to watch movies and webmail...

Tags
maemo, print, printing