Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
Any suggestions how to make this happen otherwise, are more than welcome.
Start by outlining exactly which use-case you're trying to support and how your workaround "fixes" it.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The "problem" is that some users cannot really install FBReader from a repository, so they download the necessary package manually and then install them one by one. If you know a way how to keep both scenarios working, I'd appreciate a hint Until then libzlibrary will stick to user/something... Sorry.
I don't understand this scenario. (blah blah blah some wrong garbage here)
I don't understand your situation, could you explain what these people without access to repositories are doing to install FBReader?

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-14 at 07:16.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Libraries cannot go in user/*. By choosing to do this you're impacting the likelihood of Nokia shipping Fremantle with Extras enabled.
I have a control panel plugin in user/* which technically also is a library. If i am supposed to move it away, how do i provide updates then? The app manager will imho never update anything that's not in user/*.

And what about the SSU provided by nokia? Aren't they basically a set of updated libraries? They are also in user/*. Or does this rule only apply to third party apps?

These users are more than adequately supported by apt-get.
I don't get it. Fremantle is supposed to be newby friendly and to attract beginners and at the same time you propose to use apt-get whenever something doesn't work in the app manager?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Master of Gizmo, please keep this thread specific to the FBReader and let's discuss the broader topics in separate threads.

Misha, if you have a Fremantle device and you plan to use FBReader, how likely is that you are going to use a connection?

Your same reasoning could be applied to the rest of applications in extras, yet nobody seem to find a problem having to be online to install and update applications.

But maybe I'm not seeing the use cases you have in mind. Please share them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
Start by outlining exactly which use-case you're trying to support and how your workaround "fixes" it.
http://www.fbreader.org/maemo/maemo4.php#maemo4.offline

Application Manager prevents to install any package that is not in section user/*. In case the installation happens from a repository, then AppMgr will pull and install all necessary dependencies regardless their section.

The Following User Says Thank You to MishaS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Misha, if you have a Fremantle device and you plan to use FBReader, how likely is that you are going to use a connection?
It's quite likely indeed

Your same reasoning could be applied to the rest of applications in extras, yet nobody seem to find a problem having to be online to install and update applications.

But maybe I'm not seeing the use cases you have in mind. Please share them.
Unfortunately, it's not a use case that I see. It's a use case people were describing in FBReader group.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://www.fbreader.org/maemo/maemo4.php#maemo4.offline

Application Manager prevents to install any package that is not in section user/*.
I've never heard this before! I knew that Application Manager will hide those packages, but not refuse to install them.

Is this true? Even if the person clicks on a .deb in their MyDocs directory? What happens when they try? What error does Application Manager give?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
The "problem" is that some users cannot really install FBReader from a repository, so they download the necessary package manually and then install them one by one. If you know a way how to keep both scenarios working, I'd appreciate a hint Until then libzlibrary will stick to user/something... Sorry.
While I agree the restriction that packages installed from a local source through HAM has to be in user/* is kinda silly:

Few possibilities for help this scenario:
* Easiest for user: zip file containing a mini Debian repository generated with apt-ftparchive and a dot install file.

User unpacks on SD, clicks fbreader.install file in the directory, everything installs, everything is checksummed properly and user knows early if his download fails.

And we avoid cluttering the visible namespace with libraries confusing people (HAM failed the "girlfriend test" for me this way, 'darling, what are libs?')

* we now have easy rootsh (in user/*), meaning you can simply dpkg -i the packages from root.
* usbnet (which now works on even XP) access to repositories, and proxy support works for HAM (afaik) which grabs 99% of users
* red pill mode (which is obviously evil but would solve the problem - "Show all packages" would allow the users to use the install locally
* encourage HAM developers to not automatically decline non-user/* applications when it's a deb from a local/downloaded source.

I'd personally love to continue seeing FBreader in extras, so consider if any of these are potential ways to go about it.

I have to talk to you about a Mer port at some point as well - we're kinda in between a Maemo port and a Ubuntu port :P
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've never heard this before! I knew that Application Manager will hide those packages, but not refuse to install them.

Is this true? Even if the person clicks on a .deb in their MyDocs directory? What happens when they try? What error does Application Manager give?
http://gitorious.org/hildon-applicat...er.cc#line5650

The Following User Says Thank You to MishaS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
And what about uploading the not-user/ libraries to Extras and locally in your scratchbox create the user/ ones, and put it in some place for those users.
You should do a bit more of work than normally, but I think is a better scenario.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:

Tags
extras-devel, fbreader, fremantle