Same issue here on O2. Gmail takes me to mobile view and switching to standard view form basic html view returns me to mobile view. Can't find any option to get to standard javascript based view.

Having said that, Firefox/Fennec takes me to the standard PC view. To be fair, I don't really know what I lose by having the mobile view. If i want to chat, I can simply use the chat facility on the phone and I use the inbuilt mail client for gmail. So the only thing I would login to gmail for is if I were to search for an email, and that works equally well in both mobile and standard view.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
It gives full gmail to me....

I have flashed my N900 3 weeks ago(only the fw, not emmc) so i'm not sure if it still makes a difference, but you can get to deeper settings of MicroB by writing some command to MicroB address bar.
Example when i write something to address bar it doesn't take me to mobile google, but full google. So i'm not sure if this is the key here? I did this some months ago.

Maybe somebody can give link to the thread or knows what i'm talking about.
i posted that thread some time back

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50644

The Following User Says Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:
I am also sent to the standard HTML view, not my normal PC configured view with Labs enabled, etc.

Very annoying. If FF worked better, I'd use that, but that still leaves Google at fault here (like Facebook) for forcing us to not have an option.

Use this GMail version instead:
https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

(It's optimized for portrait mode although it works just fine in landscape.)

The Following User Says Thank You to cheungs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
OK, and how is the simple HTML view for you? Or would you see that as mobile too?

Originally Posted by cheungs View Post
Use this GMail version instead:
https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

(It's optimized for portrait mode although it works just fine in landscape.)
That's like trying to use the Gmail "widget" for iGoogle -

How to Mark as Read and Archive 10 E-mails already labeled:

1. Select the 10 e-mails.
2. Mark as Read.
3. Relselect same 10 e-mails.
4. Archive.

Utter failure, IMO.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Okay, I may have a slight bit of more insight into this. Apparently the random 24.whatever IPs were indeed what google was picking me up as...

...even though the device was reporting its internal IP as 192 something. Whatever, I'm not an expert. (Though this is from both my home and another home. It picks me up as on another 24.randomnumbers ip, which is different from the previous one but no were close to the actual internal one.)

It seems like whenever I log in, the same IP connects twice. One is 'me' to the best of my understanding, and it's labeled "Browser". The other is not me, but it connects at the exact same time with the same IP, and is labeled "Mobile". I suspect this... well, I don't suspect anything. I'm a newb. But my guess is for some reason, my N900 started using two sessions at once to connect to GMail. This may be GMail's doing, because I didn't download anything since the last time it worked fine, but I can't personally understand what GMail is doing that's not making this every MicroB's problem, but just some/most/not-most.

Anyway, personally, I just don't like using the integrated GChat when I can have the integrated browser one half the time (there's different situations for which I have different preferences). *Shrug* To each their own, which is really the point: I have a device that has the full browser. I'd like to use it accordingly. If others don't, they don't. Actually, I think the rich text editor is the more important part. I THINK GMail's in-browser basic HTML version only does basic text for emails. (don't quote me on that though. I do know it doesn't have labs or as many options in the rich text editor even if it does rich text.)

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Okay, I may have a slight bit of more insight into this. Apparently the random 24.whatever IPs were indeed what google was picking me up as...

...even though the device was reporting its internal IP as 192 something. Whatever, I'm not an expert. (Though this is from both my home and another home. It picks me up as on another 24.randomnumbers ip, which is different from the previous one but no were close to the actual internal one.)
Ever hear of NAT?
192.168.0.0/16 is one of the private IP ranges, which should have been a clue.
whois.net is your friend -- likely if you'd seen the external IP was road runner (presumably your ISP?), you'd have guessed what was going on. Then again, maybe not...

In any case, that's neither remarkable, nor the issue.

It seems like whenever I log in, the same IP connects twice. One is 'me' to the best of my understanding, and it's labeled "Browser". The other is not me, but it connects at the exact same time with the same IP, and is labeled "Mobile". I suspect this... well, I don't suspect anything. I'm a newb. But my guess is for some reason, my N900 started using two sessions at once to connect to GMail.
Calling them "me" and "not me" is IMO counterproductive to understanding (and resolving) the problem. But that's a little beside the point...

You say there's "two sessions at once", but don't provide evidence. Given your knowledge level, I suspect you're assuming concurrence and haven't done anything to check, so I'm disregarding that assumption. (If I'm wrong, correct away.)

Two entries at approximately the same time sounds to me like an effect, not a cause, of your being redirected to the mobile site. I suspect that, if you leave it logged in for a few minutes and check, you'll see that only the mobile one actually remains alive -- if true, this confirms that it's an effect. (And, if pressed to identify one of them as "you", it would actually be the Mobile one.)

As for causes, I wonder if you and the others affected by this might be using a different bookmark/URL than the rest of us, and Google has changed handling on that URL? I use https://mail.google.com/, and still get the full version.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is UA sniffing; although that seems unlikely, it's posssible. Maybe one side of this changed it and forgot about it (happened to me once before ), or maybe it's different for some yet-unknown reason, so for completeness, check at http://whatsmyuseragent.com/. Mine is:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv7l; en-US; rv:1.9.2b6pre) Gecko/20100318 Firefox/3.5 Maemo Browser 1.7.4.8 RX-51 N900

Last edited by Benson; 2010-06-12 at 01:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
go to google.com
find where it says "classic view" at the bottom and click that
fixed?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Benson, I appreciate your attempt to help.

I probably have heard of NAT before, but no, I didn't remember it consciously if I have. So thank you for that. My newbishness is less severe now.

Moving on: whatsmyuseragents.com reports essentially the same thing yours does. Mozilla/5.0 etc. etc. Maemo Browser etc (I'll copy and paste if you feel there's relevant info there).

I just go directly to "www.gmail.com", which then loads the same page "mail.google.com" does (I've tried both now that you mentioned it), and then from there I log in as normal, only to be taken to the mobile page.

But getting back to the 'evidence' part... Honestly, I have yet to download something like Wireshark to monitor the internet traffic on my N900 in detail, but here's what GMail's own "last account activity" window says (This is the window you get when you scroll to the bottom of the page in basic HTML and normal views and click the details link next to "Last account activity: __ minutes ago."):

Browser * United States (FL) (24.92.29.209) 10:54 pm (0 minutes ago)
Browser * United States (FL) (24.92.29.209) 10:14 pm (39 minutes ago)
Browser United States (FL) (24.227.52.106) 8:59 pm (1.5 hours ago)
Mobile United States (FL) (24.227.52.106) 8:59 pm (1.5 hours ago)
Browser United States (FL) (24.227.52.106) 8:19 pm (2.5 hours ago)
Mobile United States (FL) (24.227.52.106) 8:19 pm (2.5 hours ago)
Mobile United States (FL) (24.227.52.106) 7:42 pm (3 hours ago)
Browser United States (FL) (24.227.52.106) 7:34 pm (3 hours ago)
Browser United States (FL) (24.92.29.209) 8:51 am (14 hours ago)
Mobile United States (FL) (24.92.29.209) 8:48 am (14 hours ago)

The asterisk is the activity from the current session - and that's from my home computer.

The six under that are the ones done from another household, and the last two are done from the N900 from the same place as the 'current session' (given your explanation the IP address thing makes sense now). Anyway, You'll notice that, at least for the two more recent pairs, the activity was registered within the same minute.

This is where GMail's table stopped, but earlier this morning when I was first noticing this problem, I noticed that if I logged out then logged in, it would list both in the same time slot too. My guess is that the not-identical time stamps for the bottom two pairs that I do have are from longer sessions while I was trying to get GMail to log out the 'mobile' connection, and then toggle the view from standard to HTML and back to see if it switched. The problem was is that the 'mobile' connection was logged back in as soon as it was possible to even check (my guess is GMail didn't record every single log-in/log-out of the Mobile connection, but noted them occasionally, or something. *Shrug*).

As for why I think my connection is the 'browser' one and the 'mobile' is some background device one? When GMail has an account logged into from two or more connections, and you scroll down to the bottom to the part where it tells you about this, and click the details, gives you the concurrent session information in a separate table. And in this table (and I just tested again just to be sure - Mobile connected at 11:15, browser at 11:16. I'm sure the difference was seconds at most, and I don't know if it means anything that Mobile was first this time), it says "Mobile" for the concurrent connection, not "Browser". Since the history shows only two connections being established, the Browser and the Mobile ones, the fact that the other session is the "Mobile" one suggests the Browser is the one you, as the user, are viewing everything through. That, or GMail royally glitches on me every single time I've logged into it from my N900 since this started.

In other news, I briefly tried going to the URL GMail normally takes you to when you are logged in "mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#", since I wasn't sure if that would help - no luck. It just rerouted to the mobile version.

- Edit -

Creamy Goodness, I do hope you read the entire thread since something close to this was suggested and I and someone else already reported something similar did nothing.

There's no button for 'classic' view in either the basic HTML or the mobile versions of GMail that I could find. There was a 'standard' view, but it just assumed that the 'standard' for your device was the mobile view.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-06-12 at 03:44. Reason: Forgot to reply to Creamy Goodness