Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I remember the bookmarks coming in a separate file...IIRC that file was in refhashlist when i was looking into refhashlist...

Try searching in refhashlist with "grob" maybe other than /usr/bin/grob which is the browser you are able to find the file containing the bookmarks...

If i manage to find it I'll report here

Edit: It might be in /usr/share/grob/url_history.db

Fiddle with it and let us know

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Thank you so far!

This is really the original url history database file that gets restored when you delete your browsing history. I was able to change the entries in the original db and the changes were reflected.

Then there is just the styling feature left. Regarding this I've found out that the styling is linked to the entry's ID.

For example I found out that the ID 1 and 7 are linked with the styling for "Latest on Nokia N9", 2 and 8 with "Nokia N9 Features", 3 and 9 with "Nokia Environment", 4 and 10 with "Nokia Support", 5 and 11 with "Nokia Conversations", 6 and 12 with "Nokia.mobi". Anything above 12 seems to be links with an empty (or maybe just a non-existing) styling because these bookmarks will be displayed as an empty entry provided the hasIcon field is set to True.

So I guess there may be another database (hopefully - it could also just be hard-wired) where these stylings are stored (I guess they consist of plain HTML).
So now we just have to search this database... I'll try to find it but if someone else is also interested any help is appreciated.

So you were able to modify the .db file and the browser still worked? It shouldn't after a reboot if you are not using open mode...You need to reflect the modified .db file's sha1sum value in the refhashlist file...

You can also use refhashlist.pl to do the signing for you...

However, if it works even after a reboot and you are not in open mode then that's a good thing

Actually I didn't try to reboot the device. I altered the db locally, uploaded it via FTP into "/usr/share/grob", went to settings to clear the browser history, started the browser and voila: my edited bookmarks where restored.
Also rebooted the phone just this minuted. Still working. Don't know if I have a magical N9.

No open mode, but Inception installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Best Isaac For This Useful Post:
Okay, I've found a solution to the styling problem and it's simpler than I thought:

In "/usr/share/grob" there is an folder named "t" (just saw that this folder is also present in "/home/user/.grob/"). In these folders you can place PNG images named with the entry ID. The corrosponding image will be displayed when the "hasIcon" field for the entry is set to true (for the IDs 1 to 12 there are already "icon" images exisiting). So you can do this either on the user side (but these modifications will be reverted when browser history gets cleared) or directly on the rootside which means these modifications will remain.

The Best Isaac,

Can you also check your new bookmarks do they have a count of number of times accessed? Using Top Sites it should give you the count so might as well use the .db or Top Sites for that matter and set it to a high value preventing your bookmarks and their styling from being replaced in the future...

Yeah the custom bookmarks do have an access count (the field in the "TopSite" table is "accessCount"). The original Nokia bookmarks had a count value of 5. You can set the value to anything you want, for example I set it to 100.

Again thanks a ton for pointing me to the right file!

So this is how my Top Sites look currently (will add some additional entries later maybe):
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Best Isaac For This Useful Post:
i guess we now need some way of modifying the default links on the N9 itself

Originally Posted by sid21177 View Post
The application Top Sites does it on your device...This is just a more advanced method...What you need is well covered by Top Sites surely...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sid21177 View Post
With default links you mean the links you get as suggestions while typing something in the url bar? (Which is not covered by MyTopSites iirc)
These links can be edited in the "Url" table in the "url_history.db". By default there are many links preset and the table gets filled with the visited URLs while using the browser.