Notices

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Ok, that makes sense. I don't really care at which position it is, but it should be the same across the platform. That's one "rule" we want to find out that we can then put on a Wiki page for developers to follow, which hopefully results in a more consistent and usable UI

I'll have to fix this in the gPodder preferences dialog then, attached a screenshot of the current selector dialog - the "never" in this case is called "manually", as checking for new episodes can be done manually (by clicking a button) or at a selected interval. Question: Should this be named "never", too? ("Check for new episodes - never" does not really sound good to me, as it's not "never" but "only when I click the button").
We need to be careful about defining "rules" and then applying them in the wrong place. There may be a difference being choosing a timeout and choosing a frequency (e.g. an update frequency).

A timeout should certainly have items getting longer as you go down the list with "Never" at the bottom as it is the longest timeout. However, a list of frequencies may need some further thought - it is not necessarily the same as a timeout. I actually quite like Manually at the top of the list in gPodder...

Last edited by pelago; 2010-04-12 at 22:17.

Originally Posted by lwa View Post
a form box would be annoying... first i have to open they keyboard, then activate function lock then type it all in.
There are already ui elements that take only numbers, and so switch automatically so no need to press the function lock. So a similar method for time wouldn't be too different.

I'm thinking I'd like something along the lines of:
- If the keyboard is open you can start typing directly into the field. No need to press for numeric input.
- If keyboard is closed display numeric keypad on screen (instead of list). Another option could be up/down arrows for each digit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vaskinn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Any other settings/preferences dialogs of third party apps? Please feel free to post screenshots and discuss the current layout, content and functionality.

Leafpad
Please see attached screenshot of Settings dialogue from Leafpad v0.8.17le-0maemo1.

My opinions:
  • Dialogue title bar is called Settings, but menu action says Preferences (as previously mentioned, most Nokia apps use the word Settings)
  • The buttons are too tall
  • I don't know if there is an official style-guide recommendation on this already, but I believe most Nokia apps use sentence case rules for capitalisation, e.g. "Word wrap" instead of "Word Wrap", "Line numbers" instead of "Line Numbers"
  • The Font button could show (in differently-coloured text) the name and size etc. of the selected font
  • There is a Save button, which is good, but if you click outside the dialogue, that also seems to save, so there is no Cancel action available
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
grsync
Please see attached screenshots of Settings dialogue from grsync 1.0.0-maemo2.

My opinions:
  • Dialogue title bar is "Grsync preferences", menu action is Preferences (as previously mentioned, most Nokia apps use the word Settings. I've also noticed that most Nokia apps use just the word Settings in the dialogue title bar, not "Notes setting", "Calendar settings" etc.)
  • Cancel and OK buttons, which are not Maemo 5 style
  • I think "Rsync executable" setting can be removed completely (when would any normal user ned to change that?)
  • If you scroll down the settings dialogue, then close and re-open it, the scroll position is remembered, but I think Maemo 5 style is to scroll to the top when re-opening a dialogue the second time, even if you had scrolled down previously.
Attached Images

Last edited by pelago; 2010-04-15 at 21:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
gPodder
Please see attached screenshots of Preferences dialogue from gPodder 2.4.

My opinions - main dialogue:
  • Should be called Settings as previously discussed
  • No Save button - clicking outside the dialogue saves, which is not Maemo 5 style
  • "Check for new episodes", all items start with a lower-case letter, e.g. "manually" instead of "Manually". I think upper-case initial letter would look better, like on the other settings ("Automatic", "Show episode list").
  • Not obvious that you need to keep gPodder running for the automatic feed updates to work.
  • I have no idea with "Enable feed update heuristics" means!
  • "Helper applications" should maybe say "Player applications", unless other types of helper apps will appear in later versions
  • At least on my device, I am allowed to pick between Media Player and MPlayer for video files, but I don't have mplayer installed. I don't know if similar is true for audio files if Panucci isn't installed. I don't think it should show apps that aren't installed, or should at least grey them out so the user cannot pick them. Or, allow the user to pick a non-installed app, and get an explanation of what the app is and instructions on how to install it.
my.gPodder.org settings dialogue:
  • No Save button again
  • In general, this dialogue isn't clear to a new user. What is my.gPodder.org? Maybe this should be a wizard with some introductory text. It would be good if we could create accounts directly from the UI rather than having to go to a website
  • "Select device" button brings up yellow box error "Error getting list, NotFound"
  • Device type defaults to Desktop, should be Mobile phone
  • Device type should be the proper type of Maemo 5 selector, not a dropdown list
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:

Tags
wikify