http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/a...eego-hands-on/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onffqm9bokQ
Its an ultra-thin netbook running MeeGo and from Asus the company that started the it runs better with Windows campaign and dumped Linux on netbooks. Linux on the Desktop is finally becoming a reality with MeeGo.
Edit: nothing is known about the specs, but it is only 200 Dollars!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/a...eego-hands-on/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onffqm9bokQ
Its an ultra-thin netbook running MeeGo and from Asus the company that started the it runs better with Windows campaign and dumped Linux on netbooks. Linux on the Desktop is finally becoming a reality with MeeGo.
Edit: nothing is known about the specs, but it is only 200 Dollars!
Hardly a competitor. And I've been running Linux on my desktop for years - without Meego. Where have you been?!

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Hardly a competitor. And I've been running Linux on my desktop for years - without Meego. Where have you been?!
But Linux hasn't been preinstalled on many mainstream computers, this is a chance for Desktop Linux to be mainstream and gain widespread adoption from non techie people.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
But Linux hasn't been preinstalled on many mainstream computers, this is a chance for Desktop Linux to be mainstream and gain widespread adoption from non techie people.
The EeePC 700 (2007) had "Linux" pre-installed...

The EeePC 700 (2007) had "Linux" pre-installed...
Yes but Asus dropped Linux from their Eee PC Line of devices and pretty much every other manufacturer did that to and even said that Eee PC is better with Windows, now Linux for netbooks is returning thanks to MeeGo. With this Linux is preinstalled with drivers working out of the box and not requiring you to tinker with the command line to get things done.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I agree that it's nothing terribly special, save for one thing: MeeGo is designed for mobile usage, so it will likely have nice optimization for battery life which is far more than I can say for something like Ubuntu.

The price and the form factor are also highly attractive. I'd easily take this over any other netbook I've seen.

I would really be interested into knowing what kind of hardware you can get for 200$... Any word on specs/release date/eta?

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I would really be interested into knowing what kind of hardware you can get for 200$... Any word on specs/release date/eta?
Well it has the typical 10.1 inch 1024x600 display, 2x usb ports, microsd card reader, probably 1gb of ram, 32gb or 16gb ssd (I doubt they could put a hard drive in this), and I think it has an Intel Atom Oaktrail processor, but we don't really know Asus hasn't given away any specifications or release date.

...I doubt they could put a hard drive in this), and I think it has an Intel Atom Oaktrail processor
I understand your choice of words clearly indicates nothing but opinions, but following those opinions, does it means it will focus on cloud-storage/networked media? (I don't really follow much netbooks, lol). But Oak Trail, isn't that a good sign? Supposedly they can run up to 1.5Ghz and support for 1080p (with GMA 600). Cuz I honestly wouldn't mind at all getting it if it is able to read all my audio/video files on my desktop (Win7) and support minimum 720p. (I'm too lazy to image MeeGo and install myself, lol)

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I understand your choice of words clearly indicates nothing but opinions, but following those opinions, does it means it will focus on cloud-storage/networked media? (I don't really follow much netbooks, lol). But Oak Trail, isn't that a good sign? Supposedly they can run up to 1.5Ghz and support for 1080p (with GMA 600). Cuz I honestly wouldn't mind at all getting it if it is able to read all my audio/video files on my desktop (Win7) and support minimum 720p. (I'm too lazy to image MeeGo and install myself, lol)
I make these assumptions because most netbooks have practically specs. I think this thing can support 720p and 1080p media with VLC player.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:

Tags
pffft, pointless tag, tag troll ftw