Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
What is being released this june is not nokia's interface. I think that's what people need to understand. It's the base handset experience interface.

It will look like whats in that video..
the former i can figure, but what is the basis for the latter?

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
This probably just more of a personal nit-pick of mine, but I (think) I would rather install "the base handset experience" instead of the Nokia (or any other vendor customization) branded one. Mainly because I don't like the "branding" as it usually doesn't add any real value over the stock system.

That isn't to say that I don't understand the need/desire for a branded system, but it really ticks me off when there is a base [open] system (ex. Android) and several companies all create their separate forks of their "customization layer". You end up saying I like this feature of one system and another feature of a different system but there is no way to have them both installed together, so consumer/end-users have to make sacrifices/decisions instead of just getting the best overall experience.

So I *hope* that there aren't going to be awesome Nokia-only or Intel-only features, but that the best features from *all* parties in the MeeGo ecosystem are shared and easily ported across all of the different "experiences."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jsuggs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
This probably just more of a personal nit-pick of mine, but I (think) I would rather install "the base handset experience" instead of the Nokia (or any other vendor customization) branded one. Mainly because I don't like the "branding" as it usually doesn't add any real value over the stock system.

That isn't to say that I don't understand the need/desire for a branded system, but it really ticks me off when there is a base [open] system (ex. Android) and several companies all create their separate forks of their "customization layer". You end up saying I like this feature of one system and another feature of a different system but there is no way to have them both installed together, so consumer/end-users have to make sacrifices/decisions instead of just getting the best overall experience.

So I *hope* that there aren't going to be awesome Nokia-only or Intel-only features, but that the best features from *all* parties in the MeeGo ecosystem are shared and easily ported across all of the different "experiences."
+1. Meego should be like Fedora... clean. Don't put a bunch of crap on the base install to "make it your own", Nokia. Deliver a solid OS with lots of available add ons and the rest will take care of itself.

Its time for Nokia to start shipping software. I can't wait to see this.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
that would kill any prospect of any vendor picking up MeeGo and using it, they need to differentiate from each other and same time make money from there specific services otherwise it would all be pointless even for nokia.
by all means use vanilla version of MeeGo but personally i would rather have free sat nav, social networks and stores on my device after all we are paying for it with handset cost

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post

Generally, I think you are right.
But there are always exceptions.
HTC Sense UI.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
that would kill any prospect of any vendor picking up MeeGo and using it, they need to differentiate from each other and same time make money from there specific services otherwise it would all be pointless even for nokia.
by all means use vanilla version of MeeGo but personally i would rather have free sat nav, social networks and stores on my device after all we are paying for it with handset cost
Those apps should be in the base system. Nothing about them is Nokia centric. Just like you can run Open Office on any Linux distro... Fedora, SUSE, etc.

Android apps run on HTC and Motorola hardware equally well, or nearly so, depending on the UI.

BTW: if people expect Meego to be competitive, someone needs to get a non connected routing navigation app ie Navit working well.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Thanks for posting that.. I was going to respond with it as well.

That tells me the actual interface will be the same from what is released tomorrow and what Nokia will release when it's stable. The only difference is going to be in pre-loaded applications and Nokia's specific closed-source stuff.
I'm confused.. From Qgils post it sounded like Harmattan will have a different look and feel from the reference Meego handset interface.

Is that not the case?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
the former i can figure, but what is the basis for the latter?
There were UI screenshots on bugzilla (before they took them down) and it looked like what was shown in the video I posted. Most of, if not all, of Meego's UI is based off Moblin. Just as in the Netbook interface, which looks almost exactly like Moblin 2.x, the reference Handset UI will be built from Moblin 2.2 Handset UI.

Last edited by sevla; 2010-06-29 at 14:44.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Generally, I think you are right.
But there are always exceptions.
HTC Sense UI.
Haven't been following Android as closely lately. But if HTC Sense UI isn't available on non-HTC phones, then you've pretty much proven my point.

If you end up only buying HTC phones because of Sense UI, then HTC becomes the "only game in town" and consumers end up loosing as there are no real competitors. [Yes, I see/understand the desire for HTC to want that]

In the case of MeeGo, (if) the proposition is to create a base operating system that can span multiple devices that gives you great functionality out of the box that hardware and software vendors can easily adapt to their needs. In the grand scheme of things, if it ends up only being a few power players calling all of the shots and keeping the best parts for themselves (ie the "Intel/Nokia experience") then why would any other parties invest their time/effort into MeeGo since they will start off with a huge disadvantage.

So my real point is that if these "vendor customizations/brandings" end up defining what MeeGo is/isn't then (to me) the entire point of MeeGo is (somewhat) lost since it won't be a platform used by multiple hardware vendors, it will just be a platform developed by the major players, but developed in isolation.

I'm confused.. From Qgils post it sounded like Harmattan will have a different look and feel from the reference Meego handset interface.

Is that not the case?

There were UI screenshots on bugzilla (before they took them down) and it looked like what was shown in the video I posted. Most of, if not all, of Meego's UI is based off Moblin. Just as in the Netbook interface, which looks almost exactly like Moblin 2.x, the reference Handset UI will be built from Moblin 2.2 Handset UI.
Like I said, I can't wait to see what ships.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK

Is that not the case?
Qgil said:
The MeeGo Handset UX announced by the TSG to go public this month basically consists of the MeeGo Touch Framework and a set of reference applications maintained by the MeeGo project.

The MeeGo based device announced by Nokia to go public on 2H2010 will have the software release codenamed Harmattan and a UX that basically consists of the MeeGo Touch Framework and a set of applications decided by Nokia.
To me that sounds like the main visible difference will be in the applications rather than the overall UI. Of course, Nokia might supply their own themes for the UI, but the general way it works sounds like it will be the same in the MeeGo project release and the Nokia release.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: