Active Topics

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Please be realistic.
Nokia is a business company, not a charity foundation.
So a Nokia employee should not be telling they did everything they could...

I am well aware about business decision process. Just answer me this one question: Do you really believe Nokia was not even talking with Intel about Meego when Maemo 5 was launched last year? If you think Nokia & Intel CEOs just came out with the idea of merging Moblin and Maemo during a weekend barbecue around Feb/March this year, I won't argue with you anymore...

The fact is that Nokia always knew Maemo 5 was born dead, and since they are not a charity foundation, they did everything to hide this information from everybody for 2 main reasons:
- Not hurting N900 sales (remember it is still about to be launched in some countries, including mine...)
- Keeping the community developing within Nokia platforms with all the Qt4.6 revolutionary marketing, while they could be writing applications for competitors like Android or iPhone...

That's really good business for them, but not all Nokia fans will buy it. At least for me it was a terrible business to spend more than 600 bucks on a device I am sure it won't last more than a year... Don't be naive, PR1.2 was the last effective FW for Maemo 5, every other release like PR1.3 will be minor bug corrections, just to quiet down the owners until the Meego device is launched. I am not speculating about that, it is just common sense as it is not cheap to keep OS support for a little user base, so it would be charity to keep that for a long time!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Um.. ok then...

Back on topic sort of:

Quim, in your opening post you mentioned "an engineering mindset". Do you believe that the N900's CPU Frequency as shipped will be able to handle some of these components gracefully or will adjustments have to be made?

What other hardware limitations, if any, will have to be overcome with regard to running an N900 with this Hacker/Community edition of Harmattan? and the apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Philadelphia
I find it hilarious that people don't even realize what this means. How about I yell it?

HARMATTAN ON N900!!
HARMATTAN ON N900!!
HARMATTAN ON N900!!

Anyway, let me just say "voi ei!" can't some marketing staff help you convince the business guys that, yes you really do need to be allowed to say more, for the sake of happy community? =P Good luck with that!

And to all you whiners and doomsayers, eat crowwww.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flailingmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
in other words, we will beg nokia for binary blobs from meego and those crumbs that do fall from the table will end up being incompatible with our n900s.

Hackers and crackers will spend thousands of man hours for free trying to make this work on an n900, when in the end they could've worked at mcDonalds for 1/10th that time and bought the latest device.

I am selling both of my n900s to some of these folks for cheap so they can build a brick wall and I can move on to a newer device at a discount.

I am learning how it works around here, albeit, slowly.
The above is the truth of it.

Apple and Droid have far better track records on this. Those who do not have fanboy rose tinted glasses on when they bought the device are those that are going to remain happy with their device in the future.

Shame on us who didnt do the homework on Nokia's past behaviour and had rose tinted glasses on when we bought the device.

Nokia will not change until consumers tell them to change. Use your power as a consumer accordingly - inform your friends before they fall for Nokia's spin.

PR1.2 is the last major yodate. I bet my n900 phone that when Meego is released, the N900 will NOT be able to access the ecosystem that Nokia will build around Meego. The n900 is a dead device. If you are not happy with it NOW as of 1.2, sell it. You will be happier in the long run.

As for "Open" community support for the Meego OS, past record of such "Open" support have been failures from a usable product standpoint. Do not expect any different this time.

Last edited by Frappacino; 2010-05-27 at 04:51.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
The above is the truth of it.

Shame on us who didnt do the homework on Nokia's past behaviour and had rose tinted glasses on when we bought the device.

Nokia will not change until consumers tell them to change. Use your power as a consumer accordingly - inform your friends before they fall for Nokia's spin.
Please keep this thread to technical discussion. If you want to be pissed about reality, go to one of the other threads.

This thread is about fixing reality to give us something that works on our devices in collaboration with Nokia who is really doing the right thing and providing ability for us to do this properly.

Now, on to the technical part. Who's in for helping out once Harmattan alpha/beta comes around? Not so much in UI department, but in general system hacking.

List your interest in where you think you can help out and what you'd need to have to do your job properly.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-27 at 05:11.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
As I already told you on IRC, my Anemo project has a bit different goals. But extracting viable Harmattan components and repackaging them could only help on functionality, so you can count me in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post
and whats with YAHOO's tieup with Nokia???

N900 gets update but no MeeGo, Nokia teams up with Yahoo!

http://www.gsmarena.com/n900_gets_up...-news-1685.php
Not relevant to this discussion.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
About the confusion, try this: No release from meego.com will give you Ovi Maps for the N900. This project here attempts to make MeeGo-Harmattan Ovi Maps (and the rest of Nokia/Ovi apps) work in the N900.

If after this you still don't get it please be precise saying what you don't understand.

Rants about Maemo 5 updates, Nokia or even myself: please bring them somewhere else. We are trying to work on a specific goal in this thread and the extra noise doesn't really help. Besides, when it comes to business/proprietary stuff I'm just a messenger and I try to be a useful one. Don't kill me.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Back on topic sort of:

Quim, in your opening post you mentioned "an engineering mindset". Do you believe that the N900's CPU Frequency as shipped will be able to handle some of these components gracefully or will adjustments have to be made?

What other hardware limitations, if any, will have to be overcome with regard to running an N900 with this Hacker/Community edition of Harmattan? and the apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo?
The proper answer could give hints about the next hardware and MeeGo-Harmattan release, which is something I want and must avoid.

Let's say that I see the effort is worth and I'm looking forward to the results just like you. It's a good idea to set the user expectations really low because we have no practical proof to show anything better yet. If the reality is better than these low expectations then it will speak for itself.

Underpromise & (if you can) overdeliver. Always works.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-05-27 at 07:35.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
So basically,

MeeGo Core + Nokia Hardware adjustments + UI from MeeGo = "vanilla" MeeGo

Then

MeeGo Core + Nokia hardware adjustments + UI from Nokia = Harmattan

MeeGo Core + Nokia hardware adjustments = What's been released from MeeGo so far?

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Harmattan = Maemo 6 + Meego compatibility layer

MeeGo Core + Nokia hardware adjustments + UI from Nokia = What-this-thread-is-about

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego