Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
I did a search on the threads but didnt find a satisfactory answer.

Im wondering if its true that the Modest email client on the N900

1. does not have threaded email support ?
2. cannot do any batch tasks ( mark read/unread/delete ) ?

If you know the answer / discussion lies in some other thread please direct me there and we can close this one.

Thanks in advance for replying to my query.

if this is true, does anyone know if there exists any other email client or any workaround to get around this handicap.

IMHO this may be a deal breaker for some. As for me I would be happy enough to wait for a solution as well in the near future.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
Im wondering if its true that the Modest email client on the N900

1. does not have threaded email support ?
Correct.

2. cannot do any batch tasks ( mark read/unread/delete ) ?
Modest can batch move and batch delete. It cannot batch mark read.

if this is true, does anyone know if there exists any other email client or any workaround to get around this handicap.
Claws Mail has been ported to previous Maemo releases. It may be ported to Maemo 5 also.

...this may be a deal breaker for some.
There's a lot of those around, I'm noticing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
And instead of waiting for a solution, why don't you go to Maemo Brainstorm and add a solution there a make people brainstorm about how to better add threaded support in Modest (the built-in e-mail client)?

It's the best thing to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
And instead of waiting for a solution, why don't you go to Maemo Brainstorm and add a solution there a make people brainstorm about how to better add threaded support in Modest (the built-in e-mail client)?

It's the best thing to do.
Thanks for the bit of advice Anidel, will do so as soon as I have some concrete ideas in my mind.

In the meanwhile I am still waiting for Nokia to let the cat out, release date of course ! , absolutely no idea if I will get this phone when I really need it. My G1 does what I need now with emails and rooting it gives me more development options for the moment.

Will browse through Maemo brainstorm now.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Claws Mail has been ported to previous Maemo releases. It may be ported to Maemo 5 also.
Hmm, yes. But even on the 800 the UI was a tad problematic, getting claws finger friendly probably will be a large amount of work.

I think the UI is a bit overblown for a tablet.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
something in brainstorm:
there is an idea named different but the idea is similar (or at least suggested solutions), searching in your mailbox with sub-folders and so on is not realy nice with modest atm
here the link to the brainstorm-stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
See also bugs 2674 & 4770. Comments and votes welcome :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Amen! There's nothing in extras{,-devel,-testing} or any mention in claws-mail.org yet, but it seems that Colin Leroy qualifies for the developer/contributor discount so there's hope :-)

As an experiment, I tried to build the current release (3.7.3) in Fremantle + libetpan & friends from extras-devel. It built fine (./configure --enable-maemo is all it took) and the resulting binary (I haven't packaged it or anything, just copied over and ran from the command line) works :-)

There are various minor UI glitches here and there (like lack of full screen) and it lacks PGP (support due to the lack of libgpgme at the moment), but otherwise it's quite usable:
Attached Images

Tags
email threaded view