Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
As a nonce word, the pronunciation of maemo isn't something you can check in a dictionary. And given its provenance, I'd venture that most people first encountered this word in print, and not orally.

Should each vowel be pronounced, making this one really short three-syllable word? Could be.

Should the first syllable be pronounced the same as the month of May? Makes sense.

Or does a followed by e represent the ae diphthong, which if really stretched out would be "maaa-eee" but which English speakers consider a long i: "my"? Well, yes, why not?

I've heard all these pronunciations used at OSiMWorld the past couple days, plus the "two-and-a-half-syllable" variation (really short e) and the "silent a"

Now some might argue that, as a trademark, Maemo's pronunciation is properly decided by Nokia. But I figure if Sony couldn't dictate that its corporate name be pronounced "sunny" (intended as a slang-y spelling of sonny"-boy), that argument doesn't hold water.

Someone said this evening that "I expect it to be 'may-mo' but I think of it as 'my-mo'." Me, too.

The first Maemo Summit begins Friday in Berlin. Since this event is birthing the Maemo Community to formally represent all the non-Nokia participants involved in our pocket revolution -- that would be us enthusiasts, the users and developers -- I'd like to point out that one good reason for preferring "my-mo" is simply how it subliminally confers this new status. Maybe Nokia has the trademark, but it is sharing ownership with us. With me. And now it truly is my Maemo.
Read the full article.

Last edited by RogerS; 2008-09-19 at 07:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
I say may-mo. like sallie mae.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I just call it "That sh*t that runs on the tablets". :-p

Frankly, when I first read it, I didn't know how to pronounce it. You don't see the ae combination too often in words, so I settled with "May-ammo". I suppose that follows absolutely no conventional wisdom. If I'd pick logic instead of ease of pronunciation and word flow, I'd pick may-mo; it conforms with the pronunciation of the names Mae (May), and Rae (like Corrine Bailey Rae).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
I say may-mo. like sallie mae.
Same here. Its always been May-Mo since day one. In fact, the two other people I know in real life that have a tablet also call it May-Mo.

I think some people call it Mee-Mo and My-Mo seems faintly familiar, but I have never heard someone say May-a-Mo.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I used to say "memo" (e like "letter" or "end"), because "ae" is the usual way to write "ä" if you don't have it on your keybord, and "ä" is (almost like) "e".

When I learned it's "mah-e-mo", I changed my habit. When you know how to pronounce it, why not do it?

I think we need a similar sound clip to that "I am Linus Torvalds and this how I pronounce Linux".

I don't know the history behind the Maemo word but if, like words Ovi and Nokia, it comes from Finnish then it would be "mah-e-mo" like Benny1967 suggests.

its may-mo, trust me i know. Don't even argue.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
In German I'd read it "mäh-mo" because "ae" is a common transliteration for the ä-umlaut. This comes very close to the pronunciation of may-mo.

"may-mo"

But more importantly, "a nonce word"?????????

WTF?????

I don't know about ROW, but in the UK "nonce" has a very particular meaning!

and also, is it said "PRO-nounciation" or "proNUNciation"?