I got myself the N900 to replace the old E51 and I'm a bit surprised how common things that I already kept for granted from E51 are missing from the N900.

Here's a shortlist of things that bother me in the N900:
-Very limited calendar functions (no copy / paste events, no fine tuning of reoccurring events (eg. day or date of the month), no sync to google,
-No personalized ringtones (just one for all)
-No caller groups
-No custom profiles (only silent and general)
-No bookmark foldering (just a long list of bookmarks after awhile)
-No possibility to make a call by saying contacts name
-No possibility to pronunciation of callers name when getting a incoming call
-Battery life (if being connected to skype and doing a bit web surfing the battery won't last from morning to evening, although I don't know if any other phone does either.)

These are some things that come in mind. But still... the phone is very impressive, the web browser is great etc. and I know these things I mentioned in the shortlist can be fixed in the future (looking forward to it).

If there is a solution to some things I mentioned, please correct me and I shall stand corrected! =)

Some softwares I'd like to see in the future would be (I'm sure these can be expected, not sure about the keepass though):
-Keepass database compatible password manager
-Last.fm client
-Spotify

The Following User Says Thank You to Nozu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Nozu View Post
-Battery life (if being connected to skype and doing a bit web surfing the battery won't last from morning to evening, although I don't know if any other phone does either.)
If you've just got the N900, this is likely to improve as the battery matures (if not, you may want to look at replacing your SIM - this can drain power if it's too old or has a bad connection). Mine's connected to Skype all day, and I can browse the web, install apps, etc. and still get over 24-hours on a single charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
-Very limited calendar functions (no copy / paste events, no fine tuning of reoccurring events (eg. day or date of the month), no sync to google,
MfE works atleast partially.

-No bookmark foldering (just a long list of bookmarks after awhile)
RTFM
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
I'm sure I've read of a Last.fm client being developed/ported to Maemo 5 somewhere, but can't find it now I've searched. Either way I'm sure it'll happen pretty sharpish!

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
>No bookmark foldering (just a long list of bookmarks after awhile)
In the browser bookmakrs, you can create folders and then save bookmarks in there (it just doesn't seem possible to MOVE existing bookmarks into folders...)

>Last.fm
"Vagalume" will soon be here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=400632 and
http://blogs.igalia.com/berto/2009/1...alume-release/

You're right about calendar and phone functionalities - they are quite limited. This probably because of the N900 being Step 4/5 in Nokia's plan: while they now managed to bring PIM and Phone functionalities to the N900, they don't yet feature the full featureset known from Symbian. I guess this defines the main job to get done in the final Step 5 (together with thinning the device :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
I was under the assumption that the Calendar could sync with Google's? Although only for one account.

With regard to the software:

Password Safe is being worked on for Freemantle. I think it's in Extras-Testing?

Vagalume, a last.fm client for previous versions of Maemo, might be ported. Even if it isn't, I'd be very surprised if a last.fm application isn't made.

Spotify - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvldo3ZsnA So I wouldn't worry about that too much either.

There's a thread about battery life somewhere else, but the biggest thing I've heard is that the initial few charges give very little life time, but then the battery life improves greatly. Just remember not to do a 100% discharge.

The Following User Says Thank You to rsuffix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rsuffix View Post
There's a thread about battery life somewhere else, but the biggest thing I've heard is that the initial few charges give very little life time, but then the battery life improves greatly. Just remember not to do a 100% discharge.
How far down would you recommend draining the battery the first few times?

Also, during the first charge (which mine will get asap) I know you can turn the device on and use it, etc, but do you know if it has any detrimental effect on the battery? Using the device suring tha first charge that is?

See I'll probably not get to touch my N900 until tomorrow evening (assuming delivery today!). At which point it'll get put on charge until Thursday morning, but then I'll be off Thursday morning to work and wont be able to play with my new toy, also my PAC could runs out Thursday so ideally I'd like to activate my T-Mobile account on Wed night and contact them with the PAC code then.

Sorry for rambling on, hope someone can provide some answers.

Wow, thanks for the quick answers, hints and tips!

Is the Password Safe compatible with Keepass databases? I'm using Keepass in my PC and I'd like to use the same database file with my N900.

Is it possible to do a 100% discharge? Shouldn't there always stay a small charge because the N900 shuts itself down, it doesn't just suddenly turn off. I've used it until it shuts itself down before giving it a long recharge, this is what I was taught to do with the old phones... =)
Can it be harmed by doing this way?

I'll hope the battery life gets better by time then. If it doesn't I'll start looking the problem.

My dealer told me to use the factory charge off before charging it the first time... So I did. I don't know what's the right thing to do...

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Is it possible to do a 100% discharge? Shouldn't there always stay a small charge because the N900 shuts itself down, it doesn't just suddenly turn off. I've used it until it shuts itself down before giving it a long recharge, this is what I was taught to do with the old phones... =)
Can it be harmed by doing this way?
It shouldn't be possible to do a full discharge, no - there's circuitry in the battery to prevents this as it's damaging. However, there's also no need to do a full discharge - it's a single-cell battery so shouldn't need calibrating.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: