it would also be worth using stretch to get gtk3.18+ iirc to automatically get scroll bar indicator autohide

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
I've started to go over CSSU Hildon to see about GTK3 conversion. I've set up a new repo as a fork of the CSSU version. I'm now going over all of the file diffs compared to my version. Some will cleanly apply, some won't so I'm going through 1 file at time making the easy changes so I can just come back later to fix the rest. As a heads up, the Debian/rules from CSSU will not get to running configure in its current state under Stretch.

Is it worth removing the deprecated features listed in doc/migration.sgml where guidance is provided on how to replace functionality. I'm currently going over hildon-controlbar. Its a mess of gtk_adjustment_get/set_*() calls because of GSEAL'ed widget>adjustment. If there is a documented, simple replacement for the items detailed in that document, would you be happy if I ditch them?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I've started to go over CSSU Hildon to see about GTK3 conversion. I've set up a new repo as a fork of the CSSU version. I'm now going over all of the file diffs compared to my version. Some will cleanly apply, some won't so I'm going through 1 file at time making the easy changes so I can just come back later to fix the rest. As a heads up, the Debian/rules from CSSU will not get to running configure in its current state under Stretch.
Great!

Is it worth removing the deprecated features listed in doc/migration.sgml where guidance is provided on how to replace functionality. I'm currently going over hildon-controlbar. Its a mess of gtk_adjustment_get/set_*() calls because of GSEAL'ed widget>adjustment. If there is a documented, simple replacement for the items detailed in that document, would you be happy if I ditch them?
Unless those changes need half(or more) of the applications in Fremantle to be forward-ported (instead of simply recompiled), I am ok.

And I started to go over all Fremantle packages needed to build dsme/mce/h-d and port them to GTK3, see https://github.com/fremantle-gtk3

I am 4 packages away from building mce in devuan

hildon-desktop is unmodified CSSU version, used to get the build dependencies only.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Couple of issues so far. HildonUIMode relies on custom built gtk3, something I'd rather avoid and probably isn't needed by GTK3 but will probably break some backwards compatibility. HildonSizeType I've copied into hildon-gtk.h as in my original port/Cordia. HILDON_SIZE_FULLSCREEN_WIDTH and HILDON_SIZE_HALFSCREEN_WIDTH will not work correctly with GTK3.

hildon-controlbar: initial port done except gtk_paint_box
hildon-seekbar: done, no big issues.
hildon-note: gtk_dialog_set_padding and one other function missing.
hildon-volumebar: current wip. Mostly done, just _realize and a few small fixes.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
libhildonmime ported to use GIO instead of GnomeVFS, needs desktop-file-utils from the same repo:

https://github.com/fremantle-gtk3/libhildonmime
https://github.com/fremantle-gtk3/desktop-file-utils

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Couple of issues so far. HildonUIMode relies on custom built gtk3, something I'd rather avoid and probably isn't needed by GTK3 but will probably break some backwards compatibility. HildonSizeType I've copied into hildon-gtk.h as in my original port/Cordia. HILDON_SIZE_FULLSCREEN_WIDTH and HILDON_SIZE_HALFSCREEN_WIDTH will not work correctly with GTK3.

hildon-controlbar: initial port done except gtk_paint_box
hildon-seekbar: done, no big issues.
hildon-note: gtk_dialog_set_padding and one other function missing.
hildon-volumebar: current wip. Mostly done, just _realize and a few small fixes.
Instead of modifying GTK3, can't we somehow "override" whatever gobject needs to be modified, something in the line of g_signal_override_class_handler?

Also, maybe we can use gtk module to implement/export whatever functions are needed. And maybe override default functions.

(credits go to MoeIcenowy for the idea)

Community SSU developer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
i honestly don't know. haven't had a chance today because of work and fixing mussorgsky this morning.

if we can override features, implementing filepicker etc would be easier. for colorpicker etc we could set it up so all we do for gtk3 is have a wrapper around stock gtk version that keeps current hildon api.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
i honestly don't know. haven't had a chance today because of work and fixing mussorgsky this morning.

if we can override features, implementing filepicker etc would be easier. for colorpicker etc we could set it up so all we do for gtk3 is have a wrapper around stock gtk version that keeps current hildon api.
Seems something like that can be done, see this http://zenway.ru/page/hide-menu-in-gtk as a kind of example.

Could you push your work so far on cssu hildon somewhere (I can add you to fremantle-gtk3 organization on github if you wish), so I can take part of porting? Also, that would give others a chance to contribute as well. And we will avoid doubling the work - it doesn;t make much of a sense both of us to port one and the same code

Also, you said there is some problem with maemo launcer and gtk3 - could you elaborate? I could try porting it if you didn;t already done that.

EDIT: I ported maemo-launcher in the meanwhile

Community SSU developer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2016-12-03 at 12:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Also, we should decide what to do with l10n packages. They have very strange copyright:

This package (osso-uri-l10n) was created by Nokia
L10n Team, contact <l10n@maemo.org> for questions.

Copyright (C) 2006-2007 Nokia Corporation.

Licensed under same terms as the software component the l10n
strings have been derived from.

I have no idea what is this supposed to mean

Community SSU developer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
whats the license of the software using it? it sounds like if osso-uri is gnu v2 then osso-uri-l10n is gnu v2.

maemo-launcher was disabled just because it wasn't ported.

i'll add what i've done to a repo when i get home. is there a way to get make to bypass file or to build specific file? at the moment i'm using just "make" to flag all deprecated functions as errors. so when i get stuck on one function i'm having to comment it to go onto next file.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: