Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Is there a way to see CPU usage and memory usage at the top of the desktop on the N810?

I could only find a memory usage app that displays free memory on the desktop, but it does me no good because I can't see the desktop when app windows are open. I'm looking for a way to monitor performance while apps are running. Thanks.

The LoadApplet shows CPU and memory use graphically in the status bar at the top of the screen.
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Yep, it works well for sorting out problems with processor and/or memory hungry apps. Just don't run it all the time as I've seen it actually shorten battery life by constantly polling the system for updates.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
I love this little app. I'm going to have a hard time not running it all the time because I find it so useful...

But how do you quit it? The menu only gives options for the screen shots. I can't find a way to unload it.

FWIW, I've been running it for a couple hours now and my battery is still showing full capacity.

EDIT: my battery life is still looking very good. I do not see any negative impact from running the load app so far, so I'm going to keep experimenting and keep running it all the time.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-07-25 at 18:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
UPDATE: I'm still running LoadApplet all the time and my battery life seems normal (maybe even better than normal?). Of course I have not had the N810 that long, so my baseline is limited, but I'm happy with my battery life and I like having LoadApplet running all the time.

Still running LoadApplet all the time and it does not [EDIT: significantly] reduce my battery life.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-09-05 at 02:25. Reason: Fixed, thanks to notnarb

*significantly

It running IS going to drain more energy than not running it, probably not a noticeable amount though

I agree. Before trying it I was afraid it would have a big negative impact. As it turns out, I don't notice any difference, and that's what is important for me.