Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I didn't see this one listed yet...

Give up on that mythical iTablet for a minute and feast your eyes on the Archos 9 ($625; Fall 09). This thin (0.63'') netbook/tablet PC device sports a 9-inch touchscreen and runs Windows 7. Powered by an Intel ATOM Z515 processor, the Archos 9 features an 80GB hard drive, webcam, Bluetooth, optical trackpoint, Wi-Fi, built-in speakers, and optional 3G wireless.
See/Read more here.

Not exactly pocketable by a long shot; however full Windows 7 support, authentic Intel processor and (for me) full Flash support. This might replace my NIT simply because it does what I need.

All but have a long-lasting battery.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Nice tablet for a reasonable price, but I hope one can install Kubuntu or #!CrunchBang Linux on it instead of or beside Windows as Windows is rather slow compared to Linux.
It is as thin as the N810 (16mm) but much larger.

I hate that statement "Windows is rather slow compared to Linux"....it really isn't true. Both Windows and the various forms of Linux can be optimized for performance provided one knows what they are doing.

But I do agree that it would be nice if Linux could be installed....the option is always nice. I do wonder on that because lately Archos has really locked down changing the OS in there other products.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Nichod View Post
But I do agree that it would be nice if Linux could be installed....the option is always nice. I do wonder on that because lately Archos has really locked down changing the OS in there other products.
Lately ? They were always fighting it tooth and nail (with the exception of the PMA430 experiment). Also, even if you DO manage to boot linux it will be anybody's guess as to what hardware parts have native linux support. It's enough to miss wifi+bt support and the whole thing becomes an oversize PMP.

BTW, in true Ar¢ho$ style, VGA, Ethernet and +2 USB seem only availabe through an additional docking port (also questionable from driver standpoint).

Also, whoever made the choice to use a glossy screen ought to be shot. The video was made in a low-light ambient and the reflections were still quite apparent, what happens if someone tries to use this in daytime ? Ugh.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'd find it an interesting device with Ubuntu on it, support for screen rotation, and a decent virtual keyboard. However, the price, in comparison to an Touchbook, is a bit difficult to swallow.

Personally, I think the Viliv X70 is a better solution. It still has a 1024 pixel wide screen, but in a 7 inch package.

I'd prefer a 9" screen over a 7".

(in fact, I'd prefer a 9" over a 5", 7", 10", 11", or 12"+ screen, for my non-pocketable mobile device, so non-pocketable MIDs/netbooks/tablets/UMPCs smaller than 9", and MIDs/netbooks/tablets/UMPCs larger than 9", are both uninteresting to me)

Last edited by johnkzin; 2009-06-14 at 21:02.

Engadget has a post on the Crunchpad, which I believe has a 12" screen. Can't help thinking that's too big for a tablet. 7 to 9 inch seems optimum, although in the end it will all come down to how finger friendly the ui is.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/14/c...dled-on-video/

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I'd prefer a 9" screen over a 7".

(in fact, I'd prefer a 9" over a 5", 7", 10", 11", or 12"+ screen, for my non-pocketable mobile device, so non-pocketable MIDs/netbooks/tablets/UMPCs smaller than 9", and MIDs/netbooks/tablets/UMPCs larger than 9", are both uninteresting to me)
So what about 8.8'' or 9.2''. Are they to small / big?

icke

I will evaluate 8.8", 9.1", and 9.2" screens on a case by case basis :-)

(8.9" screens seem to be largely synonymous with 9" screens, so I'm lumping them together)