Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What I'm wondering is: How does the increasing support for MeeGo compare to Android and the support Android sees from HTC, Samsung and thelike? In my world, it's Android and MeeGo fighting on the same battleground. Symbian and iOS are maybe in the same war, but as they have different concepts, I wouldn't name them as direct competitors to MeeGo the way Android is.

So how much are the HTCs and Samsungs actually involved with Android, other than building phones running it? In other words: If you draw cycles around the words "Android" and "MeeGo", with each cycle representing a company supporting the respective system... and the size of the cycle representing the market power of the company... and the distance from the word in the middle representing the level of involvement ("how important is android to HTC, how easily could they drop it?")... how would this diagram look for both OSs?
has android been officially announced to be "tablet compatible" in the first place? all I've heard is rumours that chrome = tablet, android = smaller devices plus couple random android tablets for sale.

compare that to

meegos common core supports...
http://meego.com/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
Hell Yeah!
Been using AMD processors since the 90s..
the broader the appeal of Meego, provided of course it does not stray too far from its' Maemo5 pedigree, the better!

google imo is becoming a bit of a monster also and in some ways behaving along the lines of steve jobs dictating what we users can do (or what is of interest to their company) , e.g. they gathered wifi access points info when they gathered streetview photos, which firefox desktop now has built into it by default, this could mean that rogue websites, etc could potentially mis-use this personal information, in fact the other day i tried to create a new google account but use another address at it would not allow me...

the same happens to android it tries to go to the web at every oportunity for location services when it could well just use the device builtin gps or agps.

basically someone with google location information could track down your house or your kids in streetview because of what google is trying to do

imo people in time will start to realize this and eventually move away from google

Last edited by windows7; 2010-11-16 at 09:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
google imo is becoming a bit of a monster also and in some ways behaving along the lines of steve jobs dictating what we users can do (or what is of interest to their company) , e.g. they gathered wifi access points info when they gathered streetview photos, which firefox desktop now has built into it by default, this could mean that rogue websites, etc could potentially mis-use this personal information, in fact the other day i tried to create a new google account but use another address at it would not allow me...

the same happens to android it tries to go to the web at every oportunity for location services when it could well just use the device builtin gps or agps.

basically someone with google location information could track down your house or your kids in streetview because of what google is trying to do

imo people in time will start to realize this and eventually move away from google
my my my, what a troll you are... get a treatment for your paranoia...

streetview is a one-time picture, I don't see how they use that to 'track' you, and the wifi snooping was due to an incompetent engineer that probably enabled some logging mode of the code he ported (I assume they used open source to do the wifi AP scanning).

And that's enough offtoptic!

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
At least AMD and Intel have something that they work on together. Let's see what good will this be.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by petur View Post
and the wifi snooping was due to an incompetent engineer that probably enabled some logging mode of the code he ported (I assume they used open source to do the wifi AP scanning).
of course. google is not evil because it says so, so there must be one "incompetent engineer" that did something that supervisors were "unable to notice" even when the code was "thoroughly inspected" in house and the whole company was "shocked" when truth came out.

come on, google lives from (personal) information. I wouldn't be too naive with it.

but same applies to every instance (facebook pops first into my mind...)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
of course. google is not evil because it says so, so there must be one "incompetent engineer" that did something that supervisors were "unable to notice" even when the code was "thoroughly inspected" in house and the whole company was "shocked" when truth came out.

come on, google lives from (personal) information. I wouldn't be too naive with it.
I'm trying to look at it like an engineer, not a paranoid ignorant xxx...

What the hell can Google do with the wifi data captured? Nothing. It is useless junk. No real context, and not a lot data anyway (600GB for all the streetview operations together makes very little data per AP).
Now if they were touring around in the same streets all the time, things would be different.

If my AP would work without protection, I'd fear my neighbors more than Google. They have permanent listening abilities....

and anyway, this was offtopic....

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
my my my, what a troll you are... get a treatment for your paranoia...
I always wondered if people believed Google were not evil. If people really were that naive to think World governments (Spain, Canada, Germany) kicking up a fuss was all based on nothing. Given the EU is investigating it, I would suggest it isn't paranoia and you need to read some more on the subject.

Back to the OP
Google is pushing in to everything and Schimdt saying "If you don't like streetview, move" and "If you have something to hide, you must be doing something wrong" are indicative of what Google want from you, your information and any method they can then get money from it. Which means Android isn't safe as a platform for those that don't want everything plastered round the internet without their express permission. Androids 'kill switch' software is a known back door into every phone and Google have openly said they have it. So what else can it be used for?

That is why I chose Maemo over Android, only to be let down by the n900, but I am hoping Meego is upto being the alternative to Android that I was after. Something that has the apps and the support and the phone / tablet models. AMD being on board brings in Intel and AMD to the same game, with AMD owning ATI (still?) it should bring not only graphics but chips to the same playing field. Looks good on paper.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post

the same happens to android it tries to go to the web at every opportunity for location services when it could well just use the device built in gps or agps.

IMO people in time will start to realize this and eventually move away from google
Interesting that you should bring up the "Google imo is becoming a bit of a monster ...". I edited out of my original post, prior to posting that Google was fast becoming like Apple- a company people love to hate, to use a well worn phrase. I have no evidence to back this, just a gut feeling from talking to my tech oriented companions. But the most frequently heard comment runs along the lines of "Google has edited their motto from 'Do No Evil' to 'Do Evil' in order to get a more elegant search return." It seems Google are willing to sacrifice some core values in order to grow the business.

(on topic portion begins now!)

To the extent that Intel, Nokia, AMD and whoever else jumps on helps MeeGo become a strong player in the advanced handset market it will be taking money out of Google's pocket. Every handset sold with MeeGo is one that was not sold with Android. (assuming there are no out of the box dual boot solutions on offer).

MeeGo is aimed at more than handsets, Android seems to have niched itself there. Cross device category inter-operability that could be very possible with MeeGo will be hard to replicate with Android. Being able to have your phone seamlessly communicate with your auto's nav/comm systems, or your home entertainment system to me is a huge plus and represents the "convergence" we've hearing about from Microsoft since the mid 90s.

I have a Blu-ray player that has wifi but no browser. MeeGo based Blu-ray sets could incorporate the browser using either the wifi connection or a feed from the MeeGo handset's 3/4G connection. I see so much possibility and know I am only sensing the top of this iceberg. If Sony jumps on this then MeeGo will have an even better chance of being the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Sony is no guarantor or adoption, remember betamax? Superaudio CD?, but it can add weight and momentum to the platform. It would solidly place MeeGo in the home entertainment environment.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
has android been officially announced to be "tablet compatible" in the first place? all I've heard is rumours that chrome = tablet, android = smaller devices plus couple random android tablets for sale.

compare that to

http://meego.com/
Actually I believe Google's CEO really stated at the Web 2.0 Summit that Chrome is for devices with a built-in keyboard like a netbook or laptop. While Android is for mobile devices with a keyboard, smartphones, or tablets.

I'm trying to look at it like an engineer, not a paranoid ignorant xxx...

What the hell can Google do with the wifi data captured? Nothing. It is useless junk. No real context, and not a lot data anyway (600GB for all the streetview operations together makes very little data per AP).
Now if they were touring around in the same streets all the time, things would be different.

If my AP would work without protection, I'd fear my neighbors more than Google. They have permanent listening abilities....

and anyway, this was offtopic....
Google's recent analysis of what they captured actually found alot of things. Passwords, content of emails, etc..

But it's no big deal to Google considering they have access to that information already if you use GMail.

Originally Posted by Google Vice President of Engineering and Research Alan Eustace
"It's clear from those inspections that while most of the data is fragmentary, in some instances entire emails and URLs were captured, as well as passwords," Google Vice President of Engineering and Research Alan Eustace said in a post on Google's blog on Friday.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69L4KW20101022

Anyway, I think Google does live up to their "don't be evil" motto, but they just tend to do stupid things (like Buzz or the Street Cars fiasco) without thinking of the implications of their actions. But make no mistake. Both Facebook and Google are selling your information as a product, the difference is how they do it. And that difference is why I'm willing to use Google products over Facebook products.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-11-16 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: