Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
@ mentalist traceur

So should the OP buy an N900 now? yes or no?

Please.
I already gave that answer, both in my first post here and in the latter: If the OP was already confident the N900 was a good choice before this announcement - which is what it sounds like - then yes. If the OP isn't confident to begin with, then the question is "is it worth getting the N900", not "is it worth getting the N900 now", and that's a much broader question.

The only real answer to the question asked is "It's just as worth getting it as it was before". And I said that each time. But the other stuff was relevant to the original point, and it's up to readers from there as to whether or not it fits in the "TL;DR" category for them.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
So it's a yes then!

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
I think the OP is an opposition troll anyway.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I don't know you... but I know myself and I own 2 Nokia N900!

One at daily heavy usage... and a second at home as Backup and for some strange experiments...

And after the Announcement last Friday I was two times at the Amazon page, short before to buy a third Device. But I still hope Intel could announce a compareable Device to spend my Money for.
But a Intel Subcontractor will have it hard to beat the actual Device. It's easy to put a new Prozessor in. But Hard to create such a good Keyboard, a Camera with Autofocus and the feeling to have a very solid Device. (except the USB Port)

So, short answer: YES! Buy if fast before I do!

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
To the OP

I wouldn't touch it with someone elses barge pole. Despite what people say on here only a real geek would want to use it.

Most apps you install are required to cover the basics that are missing and most geeks don't consider them a hassle to have to install them in the first place, or the shortcomings one 'so called' app has over another.

I use it for things like VNC, but then again 'autodisconnect' kills the connection after a few minutes and I can't turn that off because the phone would continually chew battery and carrier data allowance if I didn't have it as the phone doesn't come with it as standard, etc etc.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
if you have to ask you dont need it.

The n900 is for committed users - if you have doubts in your mind so you ask here - this means you really are not the audience for this device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mustafaupk View Post
Hello folks,
I have been looking keenly at the recent developments and was wondering if it would be a dumb idea to buy an n900 now since Meego is most likely dead and Maemo has been abandoned? I am a linux user and would love to have a device like the n900 with me at all times but with the recent news I'm not sure? What says you..?

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/...ng&CmtDir=DESC

;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My gut feeling is that a flood of cheap N900s is going to hit the market soon. Of course, my gut is sometimes wrong.
It isn't. I bought 2 N900's at the price of $400, from a bulk exporting center.

I bought mine a few days ago (although I did own an N810 prior to that -- which I admittedly never used). Amazon is selling them new/unlocked for $350.

So far, I have to say -- what a capable device! I also talked a friend of mine to buy one as well. He bought it from Amazon just as Nokia made their recent announcement, in fact. I made sure to make it clear to him that the N900 is essentially "abandonware" at this point. But in return you get a highly refined device that's just oozing with features and which, from a hardware perspectve, is a steal at the price I paid.

In fact, it reminds me of Sony's (misplaced) slogan for their own PS3: "it only does everything!"

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Philippines and Cambodia
If you want a smartphone there probably are many better choices much cheaper like the N97 or others
but
for me I have a website running on 3 servers (round robin) and my N900 has changed my life. I never would want to go back to a regular mobile. my N900 is no phone but a pocket computer with a phone. With my N900 and server key auth I am SSH connected to my site, control, manage in emergencies any where even on the beach or while traveling on remote islands (I am always on the move in SE Asia)
with a true Linux device I am in direct control and connection of my servers - that feeling gives me mobility and freedom in my life I have missed the past nearly 14 yrs of publishing.
If you have a Linux OS website - GO for a N900 and enjoy mobile server control and the additional freedom to enjoy life.

Tags
kajko the tool, kajko+elop=love, twigdouche