Poll: When do you think the N9 is going to be released?
Poll Options
When do you think the N9 is going to be released?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
I was trying to get information out of the Nokia Customer Care of when exactly the N9 would be coming out. Some blogs say 2012 while others say next year, some even say at the end of this year. This is what I was able to get out of them:

Chat Information Thank you for choosing NokiaUSA. A sales representative will be with you shortly.

Chat Information You are now chatting with Mark.

Mark: Hello, welcome to Nokia. I am a Nokia Sales Representative, may I assist you finding a device today?

You: I like the Nokia N8, but I do not like SYmbian 3. despite it being new it is still a sucky OS like the other two. Do you have any other phone that does not run symbian besides the n900 and when is the Nokia n9 coming out.

Mark: Hi there, the C6, E5, C3 Touch and Type run on Symbian.

You: I do not like Symbian is there any other device besides the N900 that does not run symbian

You: I have an N900 because it runs Maemo

Mark: The N9 is still in it's early development stages. We don't have details on it.

You: Alright, any ideas on when it may come out

You: this year, next year??

Mark: They say next year, but I don't have information on a releae date or release month.

You: Excellent, I look forward to it

You: finally do you know if the N900 will ever get portrait mode firmware

Mark: I don't have information on that. Apparantly, you can press ctrl+shift+O to enable portrait mode on the N900

You: Yes you can, but the OS is still in landscape

You: anyways, the N8 is not good enough to replace my n900. I look forward to the N9

You: Thank you for your help.

Mark: Did you have any further questions this evening?

You: no thank you. have a nice night.

Mark: Thank you for visiting NokiaUSA and chatting with us today. We value your feedback. Please click the “Close” button at the top right to answer a few questions about your experience with us.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txh For This Useful Post:
I think it should be very clear to eveyone that potrait mode will NEVER come to maemo, forget it. Its too much ask from nokia who is not at all concerned much abt the N900 It can only come if N900 gets Meego when some of our very Brainy Community members port it.

The Following User Says Thank You to anismistry For This Useful Post:
if you want portrait mode, buy a phone that doesn't run an OS which has focused on landscape-only since 2006. I still can't figure out why they even included any portrait crap at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to stenny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Yeah I can't gather why after a year into the life of the N900, people are still asking the question that's answer was made apparent in press releases, advertisements, leaks and interviews months before the devices official release.

Portrait is NOT coming to Maemo5 in the sense that you could operate the device completely in this orientation.

What still makes you ask this question?

Also, asking a sales rep about an upcoming device is pretty silly, even if he knew he couldn't tell you. A sales rep is like the dude working at Wal-Mart at the cash register: he has as much insider info on the products as anyone looking at them sitting on the shelf.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Sooo, we have no new information here. This was really post worthy??

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
I for one would LOVE to have FULL portrait mode on all apps and on the desktopof my N900. I think it's positive that txh has posted about it.

Also, I personally don't find it silly at all if txh asks a Nokia sales rep any question he may have on future releases...

The Following User Says Thank You to lore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I for one would LOVE to have FULL portrait mode on all apps and on the desktopof my N900. I think it's positive that txh has posted about it.
Its still not coming.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Why don't you just use Search instead of waste everyone's time?

Sorry not to sound rude but i find it kind of funny that you where asking about N9 from customer care.

Nokia has always had very strick policy to not talk about devices that are not announced yet no matter if there is video review of it on the net already. Anybody who has followed Nokia longer time probably knows this and last time this was again clearly shown and said was in MeeGo Conference.
I doubt the guy knows anything else about it other than what he have seen in the internet, like us.

Btw we already know that MeeGo devices will be released 2011 like said by Elop, Torres and Niklas Savander.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-12-03 at 14:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
I think it should be very clear to eveyone that potrait mode will NEVER come to maemo, forget it. Its too much ask from nokia who is not at all concerned much abt the N900 It can only come if N900 gets Meego when some of our very Brainy Community members port it.
we have portrait mode support in QT apps. GTK apps is a different story they had to implement ugly hacks to make it work in those gtk apps that have it..

it has nothing todo with "nokia dont care"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: