Anyway, from my point of view, i don't care who starts, but i think we should appreciate any idea that would give more life to our community and some new piece of software for our devices.

After this, also a "fix it" or a "develop it" community voted race would be interesting to fill some functionality gaps in our devices allowing the members of this community to choose the target of the race.

...and thank you guys!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
From the looks of it, NielDK, juiceme and myself will have a hand in this.[...]As a matter of fact the 3 people mentioned are the current Board Elected of the ready to be registered at court Maemo Community e.V.
matter of fact, fine! but how is that related? Do you insinuate that this is a e.V. project and would stay such, even when the e.V. board would change? Or are you 3 guys volunteering to be that committee in charge that Nokiabot suggested?

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-17 at 11:12. Reason: incorrect assumption that this was already about organizing the CC

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I would love to see a category for "revival of dead or orphaned projects".

There are plenty of once useful applications out there that no longer work or have limited functionality--a lot of times, the original developer is no longer active to adapt the application to API changes, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
matter of fact, fine! but how is that related? Do you insinuate that this is a e.V. project and would stay such, even when the e.V. board would change? Or are you 3 guys volunteering to be that committee in charge that Nokiabot suggested?
That is what an e.V. is there for... especially ours is to support FOSS for mobilephones and the developer community attached to it primarily for maemo derived OSs but not limited.

In charge? It is more like who is responsible!

What is this about anyway? We are (trying) organizing a competition anyone could do. As I do not want that any of the prizes will be demanded or be in possession of a single person I want them to be handed to HiFo/MCe.V. in the first place. Who will take on organization of this competition when all of us get hit by a bus? I don't know but as the devices will never be ours, the volunteers after us must take care as the devices are donated specifically for competition purpose (if not stated otherwise by the donator).

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
creating a seperate commite for this coding competion can be way to go the commite can collect devices funds ideas working directly with community decisions .

just throwing some ideas
The proper way would be to form a committee with the Maemo Community e.V. (which is yet to be registered properly but we are talking about the future here in which the e.V. is properly registered and has a valid bank account and address) or HiFo, for now it does not really matter as long as the collected funds/devices are collected by a legal entity bound to maemo community. Forming a committee outside of HiFo or MCe.V. especially when collecting funds or devices has huge legal issues and I for one will not trust it with funds or devices as in the end the owner of all is a private person.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
In charge? It is more like who is responsible!

[...] Who will take on organization of this competition when all of us get hit by a bus? I don't know but as the devices will never be ours, the volunteers after us must take care as the devices are donated specifically for competition purpose (if not stated otherwise by the donator).
It is first and formemost about >>who's to blame for "sorry guys, didn't realize this been last week's Sunday, thought it was this one"<<
Also I think a competition is about winners, and those get appointed by a jury. Who's that jury?

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-16 at 11:21.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Oh getting personal again... watch it joerg, reminds me that you are council too Mr. "I watch it fail and then moan about it"

Oh getting personal again... watch it joerg, reminds me that you are council too Mr. "I watch it fail and then moan about it"
Are you drunk or what's wrong with you? Why are you going personal? Is it ok for council member, HiFo member, e.V. member, and tmo admin to go personal and insult?
:-/
[edit] took a while til I even realized you're accusing ME to go personal. Please elaborate! I don't get it. I always thought it's just us mere mortals who have difficulties to decode your eloquent statements. Now it seems this is bidirectional.
BTW my post one above is a fine proof that I try to catch possible problems by pointing at them before they happen, not moan after watching them happen and not trying to do anything about it. And you must admit that organization of such a contest *needs* somebody who's in charge and actually DOES the organizing. I think it's absolutely legitimate to ask who is the one we will blame when he fails on doing so. I already explained that council, despite CC being one of its genuine domains, is not in a position to reliably follow up on that task right now.

Your coment to Nokiabot shows that you don't even see the difference between HiFo's task to "guard the assets" and the detached unrelated task of organizing such CC and find a jury for it.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-16 at 11:54.

Can we stop at this point please, if pointing out sloppy behaviour prefixed by "It is first and foremost about" in a who is responsible arguement is no personal attack you need to work on your language skills!

If you do not like me to organize it, find us someone who will.
Back on topic please.

Who's that jury?
Community? Or do you suggest otherwise?

Last edited by chemist; 2014-06-16 at 11:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Can we stop at this point please, if pointing out sloppy behaviour prefixed by "It is first and foremost about" in a who is responsible arguement is no personal attack you need to work on your language skills!

If you do not like me to organize it, find us someone who will.
Back on topic please.
Au contraire. You just said YOU will organize it. That's all fine with me. All I wanted to hear. Thanks for taking up on this daunting task (no sarkasm)

A committee organizing a competition and collecting funds/devices is not the same as a committee organizing the competition and have HiFo/MCe.V. take care of funding and devices.

Au contraire. You just said YOU will organize it. That's all fine with me. All I wanted to hear. Thanks for taking up on this daunting task (no sarkasm)
This is future - I am organizing the organizing if you want to put it this way for now.

So all you wanted is a statement:

For now I am driving this forward, there is not much said till now, win7 juiceme and niel asked me to start with the posts, I said I will do and take care of the HiFo/MCe.V. side, I will also take part in the organizing committee once there is something to push further than posting things to tmo only. For the what and when, we have no timeline yet, we have not enough prizes for a competition and we do not have categories yet. That is why I started this thread, it is announcing preparations not the actual competition. It also might happen that this will never lead to an actual competition. We will see.

Last edited by chemist; 2014-06-16 at 12:16.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post: