Notices

Poll: Do you want a standard qwerty in landscape mode?
Poll Options
Do you want a standard qwerty in landscape mode?

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
crashes the moment i touch the screen on my device im afraid, is there a way if getting a log i could send you or something
You can start it from x-terminal and watch what goes wrong
Code:
cd /opt/fastsms
./fastsms
A question: do you have physical keyboard open when you start it?

The Following User Says Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Can't install it properly it gives me this when I try to fix it.

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up fastsms (0.1-2) ...
chmod: /opt/fastsms/data: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing fastsms (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 fastsms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Originally Posted by andyph666 View Post
Can't install it properly it gives me this when I try to fix it.

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up fastsms (0.1-2) ...
chmod: /opt/fastsms/data: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing fastsms (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 fastsms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Why you use command-line? You can find FastSMS in testing-repository. However you are trying to install an old version: the lastest is 0.1-4

If you get this error message probably you have to uninstall FastSMS before you can see it on repository

Last edited by realsportcars; 2010-06-14 at 23:11.

ah sorry about that it using command line cause I get a not enough space in app manager haha

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
After playing with it a bit more:

It looks like it does remember some word weighting, but doesn't do it until you've closed the app and re-opened it? (Which takes a while.)

Sometimes I hit a number key (usually 7/8/9) and it lights up, but doesn't add the letter. I have to hit it 3 or 4 times sometimes to get it to add the proper letter.

The auto-rotate doesn't seem to work at all for me. I had to set it to portrait to get it into that mode, though that's find for me, since if I were using it landscape, I'd just use the normal keyboard.

One small suggestion: On my N6230 I was used to hitting # to get the next possible T9 suggestion (so that was intuitive for me), but I was also used to hitting * to back up one if I over-shot by one. I really miss that. Could you add a "backup one suggestion" button (or map that to *? )
What you said is really strange: words weighting are stored in memory when you press "0" or "1" and immediately available. I did a try now and it works as i said. Also for "*" button it works as you suggest: you can press it for go to previous word.
I never noticed the problem on "button-pressed and nothing happen" but honestly i tested the app mostly with italian dictionary; this could be a memory problem: with english-full 40% of memory is taken by the app and all the system slow down.

Can you say which dictionary are you using please?

When autorotation doesn't work you can tap on main-menu" icon (i mean the one on the left-upper corner) and after it works good. However i will work for improve it

Last edited by realsportcars; 2010-06-14 at 23:32.

I'm fairly sure, from those images, that the * and # key are the wrong way round relative to normal Nokia phones e.g. N95.. ?

Originally Posted by cjard View Post
I'm fairly sure, from those images, that the * and # key are the wrong way round relative to normal Nokia phones e.g. N95.. ?
ehm...you are totally right
i didn't noticed it untill now!

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
@woody14619 and eitama: Did you use english-full dictionary?
I chose the default when it started (I think it was full english). I can try the smaller one too. Is there a way to re-set it, or should I just uninstall and re-install?

Maybe Yes: the reason for leave this works on first start is because other users can easily add their language. In a second moment, when i can include more commons languages i will give pre-compiled dictionaries
I figured that was the reason. That's a great idea for non-supplied dictionaries. Maybe using a different extension for the saved binary/converted ones and have the loader use that to decide if it needs to convert or not? Then you can make the package smaller too, since the binary versions are probably smaller than the raw text files.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean but i will try to answer: at the start words are proposed in alphabetical order, but if you try to write "How are you" the next time you will have "how" "are" "you" as first choice.
Hmm... I didn't see it doing that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention well enough. I'll try it a few more times later and see if I just missed it doing it.

Overall though, great work on creating this for the community! You deserve a lot of praise for this, it's an outstanding app for a pre-1.0 version.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I chose the default when it started (I think it was full english). I can try the smaller one too. Is there a way to re-set it, or should I just uninstall and re-install?
You can open the menu,tapping on the write "FastSMS" then choose "Option". Here you can change dictionary input language and orientation (third image of first post). However i think that i will search input file of 100.000-150.000 words for good performance.

I figured that was the reason. That's a great idea for non-supplied dictionaries. Maybe using a different extension for the saved binary/converted ones and have the loader use that to decide if it needs to convert or not? Then you can make the package smaller too, since the binary versions are probably smaller than the raw text files.
atm input and in-use-dictionary are saved as plain text but probably the next version will have the converted one in another format to save memory

Hmm... I didn't see it doing that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention well enough. I'll try it a few more times later and see if I just missed it doing it.

Overall though, great work on creating this for the community! You deserve a lot of praise for this, it's an outstanding app for a pre-1.0 version.
Thank you and thanks to everybody that are testing this app! I want collect a good number of suggestions and bug-report for the next-release: i haven't a lot of time and i prefer focus on community-request

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
I am working on a "phonebook/contacts" application and would be quite easy to create an interface to launch your application with a phone number for a contact.

check it at: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55513

Ideally we could just create a Dbus message for that. Is your application written in C++/QT?

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases