Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Congratulations to the new Council - and thank you to everybody running for election and voting.

Looking forward for the next steps.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Happy new half year, CM's! looking forward to what can be the last halft year of talk.maemo.org

Any chance to add som specific avatar for CM or some or other colour of the name maybe?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
qgil, could You meet me @ #maemo? It seems you've private messages disabled on TMO.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I disabled PMs long ago because many users thought I was some kind of Nokia Care proxy.

webchat.freenode.net doesn't work right now (from my desk at work)? Anyway, there is this thread, the mailing list, and even my email address.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
...but who is responsible for IRC cloaks? Channel operators?
That's Group Contact , afaik x-fade. Chanops can't do much.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Honestly, I didn't agree, that number of ballots is any kind of shame on the Community.
Well, if that's the true size of the community so be it. In fact from a certain point of view the size of the community can be defined by the election turnout. Anyway, let me put it like this: I will find it very depressing if we see significantly more community "members" apply for the Nokia device handout than voted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well, if that's the true size of the community so be it. In fact from a certain point of view the size of the community can be defined by the election turnout. Anyway, let me put it like this: I will find it very depressing if we see significantly more community "members" apply for the Nokia device handout than voted.
I'll consider that an evidence for poorly prepared and advertised elections. If we'd define any national state community by the number of actively participating voters... well, go figure. An immanent property of a democratic system is your right to NOT vote if you don't feel like doing so. And to no democratically elected entity it ever occurred to define all the non-voters as not belonging to the community they plan to represent - au contraire. "you had the option to vote, now you got what you asked for - even if you opted for not voting at all" seems the worldwide mantra of democratic elections, defining the "community" as all those who had the right and opportunity to vote, not as those 20%..50% that actually did it.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-05-25 at 06:41.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
In fact you do not have a right not to vote in democracy as created by the ancient Greeks. According to them not caring caused you to lose your civil rights.

A fun trivia is that the word idiot (Ιδιώτης - private party) means the person that does not care to take part in public affairs and was an insult in ancient Greece. Now in Modern Greek it is no longer insulting, but the insulting meaning found it's way through Latin into English.

Aside from the history trivia though I agree that in a community like m.org you have every right not to vote.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Well, it's not "just" history. Both the countries where I live allow it's citizens to not vote. But in Belgium, for instance, you'll end up being fined.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well, if that's the true size of the community so be it. In fact from a certain point of view the size of the community can be defined by the election turnout.
I wouldn't define it that way. I think the best definition is the amount of maemo software development that goes on here, which is less than half of what it was two years ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down