I recently used my N900 for a day--just to see. It still holds up. I do love that device, and if something happened to my N9 I would go back to it and stay with it. But I have a working N9, so I don't. The big drawbacks for me (N900) are the less than vibrant screen, the 3G seems slightly slower, the stock browser is just old and Opera/Firefox are not better, the slow processor, & the lack of or half-assed portrait support.
But Maemo just makes more sense than Meego, the UI is perfect. And it's so flexible. I really miss some things. I almost wish I was forced to go back. I know--stupid. What I really want is a 7-inch tablet with the Maemo OS. I really do.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
I have to agree on that. With hildon-desktop you could just view the running windows with Ctrl + backspace. I really miss that feature on harmattan. And n900 had tons of applications, hacks, tweaks. That fm transmitter feature was truly amazing. Harmattan has not that much to offer in therms of apps. Maemo was an open system harmattan is an isolated one (unless you have open-mode).

Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
I have to agree on that. With hildon-desktop you could just view the running windows with Ctrl + backspace.
Not to harp on this, but that right there is one of the things I miss from the N800. In Diablo you can see all running programs without pressing a button if you're not running full screen, and if you're running full screen you have a button on the face of the screen that will pull up your list of running applications over the top of whatever program you're currently running.

With the N900 I have to pull out the keyboard, press two buttons on opposite sides of the keyboard, and then many times either nothing happens at all, or there is a big delay before the grid of running apps is displayed.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Not to harp on this, but that right there is one of the things I miss from the N800. In Diablo you can see all running programs without pressing a button if you're not running full screen, and if you're running full screen you have a button on the face of the screen that will pull up your list of running applications over the top of whatever program you're currently running.

With the N900 I have to pull out the keyboard, press two buttons on opposite sides of the keyboard, and then many times either nothing happens at all, or there is a big delay before the grid of running apps is displayed.
You may want to install shortcutd

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
You may want to install shortcutd
Yes. It seems like that would be a very nice thing for me to install.

Thanks!

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria

Thanks!
Don't make the mistake to underestimate the power this device (n900) has :P .

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens

Thanks!
better yet , "camkeyd"

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Well, it's well proven and known fact, that n900 does circles around N9/N950 in terms of real usability. Sure, it's ncie to have 1GB RAM - many people would sell they kindley to have it on N900 - but in terms of software/OS, N9/N950 hides ashamed.

Maybe, just maybe, it will change if qwazix & co will succeed with Fremantle compatibility layer in Harmattan (some programs are working already, they're also trying to run hildon-desktop on Harm) - availability of both super-big Fremantle programs base, and super-small Harm one, at the same time, with 1GB of RAM would be something worth considering...

But, some flaws - like lack of microSD slot (unforgivable!), existing, but unconnected to antenna (and, probably, impossible to connect via DIY) FMTX, and crappy capacitive screen (applies only to N9) are non-fixable.

Not to mention other - non critical, but irritating - things, like non-easily replaceable battery and goddamn monoblock body, or lack of hardware keyboard (both N9 only), forcing people to use bulky Iphone'ish bluetooth slide-out keyboards...

Summarizing - welcome back to the world of livings Maybe, just maybe (again) Jolla won't fail to provide, but currently, N900 is unchallenged.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
the internet radio was build into the media player on maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to tebsu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
you cant even imagine what N900 is capable of ..It is something they call ''rare '' .N9 is just an other way around.