Active Topics

It still runs the latest Archlinux so it's good enough for now. It is long overdue replacement but I haven't seen anything that I want to replace it with. Same with my media server or htpc, can't find a decent mobo. The Asrock servers are the closest but hard to find in the UK.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I take this as a compliment!
You know me well

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have to disagree with you there even though I myself am of the mind that HW is paramount...

If it really was so then Nokia's Lumia line would have beaten competitors to dust yeats ago... and even before that N9 would have demolished 'em
(Not to even mention what NIT's would have done even before that happend...)

As things stand I just have to admit to my horror that quality HW means nothing at all!
It's not a matter of quality per say. Android has a wide array of hardware available. It's more a matter of volume. While the Lumia's might have been decent they didn't sell in large numbers nor were they frequently updated. The Volume of Lumia's sold was quite low.l, where as Nokia Symbian devices sold by the millions.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The most mediocre products tend to sell the best. Microsoft Windows is perhaps the ultimate example. Symbian declined pretty much the moment Android and iOS were released.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The most mediocre products tend to sell the best. Microsoft Windows is perhaps the ultimate example. Symbian declined pretty much the moment Android and iOS were released.
Windows success came from the volume of hardware it has, the fact that you can easily go to a store or online and easily buy Windows based products. The fact that numerous devices ran Windows, the wide array of both of mass market and niche hardware available made Windows successful. Symbian's success came from Nokia's volume, Symbian had significant market share till 2010. Android and iOs came in 2007 and 2008 respectively. Nokia could **** out hundreds of devices per year and they failed to do this with Windows Phone. Likewise Samsung can achieve volume even greater than that of Nokia. Plus Samsung is targeting non saturated markets where smartphone penetration is lower which enables it to reach more people. Samsung has a complete family of devices, developing for Tizen enables an app to reach all of Samsung's products.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not sold. Symbian sucked and I avoided it on purpose. I have zero good thoughts about it as an user or as a dev.

Tizen is EFL. I'm not sold there either. And knowing Samsung's culture, it's a hard sell for me until I see otherwise.

In the end, what works for you probably needs to be marketed better, distributed better and above all, just better.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
What's the best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 2017?

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...-production-10

Honestly I think there is an opportunity for GNU/Linux to succeed on phones. Android is decent but there is room for improvement. Given that Apple and Microsoft have both been floundering a new competitor is needed. No technology market can thrive with a monopoly, some sort of second competitor is needed.
What we have is a duopoly (iOS + Android) not a monopoly. There has been a duopoly in Desktops/Laptops for decades (Microsoft + MacOS) so I don't think the phone duopoly is unstable. iPhone sales are dropping not because people are searching for an alternative OS, but because there has been little improvement in the last few generations of iPhones. I wish this were wrong, but I think there is absolutely no potential for a gnu/linux phone to obtain a significant market share. None. Zero. If there were space for a third ecosystem, Microsoft would have filled it.

The Raspberry Pi success has shown that gnu/linux products can be successful if they find a new niche to fill, rather than trying to go head-to-head against the established mainstream commercial products.

We need to give up on the fantasy that some organization like Jolla is going to make a successful mainstream gnu/linux phone. Face the grim facts: Android is what linux on a phone looks like.

Mobile gnu/linux will succeed IFF it finds a new purpose for mobile devices.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
What we have is a duopoly (iOS + Android) not a monopoly. There has been a duopoly in Desktops/Laptops for decades (Microsoft + MacOS) so I don't think the phone duopoly is unstable. iPhone sales are dropping not because people are searching for an alternative OS, but because there has been little improvement in the last few generations of iPhones. I wish this were wrong, but I think there is absolutely no potential for a gnu/linux phone to obtain a significant market share. None. Zero. If there were space for a third ecosystem, Microsoft would have filled it.

The Raspberry Pi success has shown that gnu/linux products can be successful if they find a new niche to fill, rather than trying to go head-to-head against the established mainstream commercial products.

We need to give up on the fantasy that some organization like Jolla is going to make a successful mainstream gnu/linux phone. Face the grim facts: Android is what linux on a phone looks like.

Mobile gnu/linux will succeed IFF it finds a new purpose for mobile devices.
Well I think there won't even be Apple as a competitor due to their low volume and bad decisions. So it won't be a duopoly it will just be Android. So some sort of competitor is needed. Ios and Windows phone don't provide serious competition, Tizen is our best shot at this. Android has 85% market share, something needs to keep it from reaching 100% and Tizen is our best shot.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Gebick is completely right...
After years of intelligent developers and corps banging their heads collectively against consumer desire...
I see that the angle of approach has consistently always been the same.

Ergo..
I have an idea...
Bear with me...it is so backwards it may work...

If any linux handheld is going to fly....

what we need to do is dress the wolf up in sheep's clothing.
Make it a wicked and complex hacking device ...sure...

Just don't tell the public.

Also...this ...this ...." vanilla flavo-."...
no ...
wait...
that is too rich...
"this Pablum flavour..." (better) ...
shouldn't look too complicated...
or have apparent bells and whistles...

Also it should appear hobbled...

In fact....whatever is done...
DON'T call it linux...
like android has done....
at best call it ...
"a distant relative ...thrice removed ....from linux..."
It worked for android...

As well it should have issues ...bugs...etc...
just like ios and windows...
consistent...in number and frequency....
(fabricated of course...since if if everything works too well ...then the obvious conclusion is that "there MUST be something terribly wrong with it...")

Also create an over exaggerated amount of publicized hype about just "how great" something or other is about it.

Finally ...just as android has a "developer mode"
I think utilizing such a concept ...
that with a very deliberate and hidden sequence of password commands...
said perfect bland linux contender to fight on par with the other "Pablum Phones" ...transforms ...unlocks ...and voila!
the facade drops away to reveal a wicked linux hacker phone that simply cannot be compared to.

And so the grand game of handheld devices is played and won utilizing mimicry and camouflage...
garnered from what the public desires and the competing brands offer....

I know it sounds like it is ridiculous...
But to my knowledge it is always the same old same old methodology applied...
Hence the same result.

Sooooo... change the rules of engagement.

People here wonder why that such great devices as even the nxx0 line ...just never flew with the masses...
I think I understand why now...
the reality and universe of the handheld devices isn't ours...
It is a universe completely opposite to ours...It must be!
um...like superman's opposite ...Bizzaro ...
It doesn't make any logical sense ...but there it is people..

Don't fight the madness ...
I say embrace it...and use it. ....and work it.
Makes sense in it's nonsense to me..

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-01-03 at 05:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy