Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,660 | Thanked: 3,661 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#21
Still wish I could have a N950 with updated specs. Most beautiful designed phone ever.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 803 | Thanked: 2,611 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
#22
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Still wish I could have a N950 with updated specs. Most beautiful designed phone ever.
I'm not sure about that.
I mean, yes, it looks nice, but although I've never seen one in real life I always believed, that the tilting display would be rather impractical. When I hold my N900 it's actually a good thing, that there's no angle between display and keyboard.

Also, the keyboard looks like a chance not taken. My main complaint about the N900's keyboard has always been, how cramped it is. I would have really liked it to have one or two more rows, to make the keys a bit bigger (or to add space between them) and to have dedicated numbers keys.
The N950 adds a fourth row and space between the keys, but because it only has 11 keys per row (N900: 13), there is still not enough room for dedicated numbers keys.

Apart from the keyboard I still believe, the N900 is the pinnacle of smartphone hardware. It's just gotten old.
Fix the keyboard, put in half-decent modern hardware that runs on mainline Linux and I'll immediately buy it for 1k Euros!
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
wicket's Avatar
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 2,899 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
#23
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
https://liliputing.com/2018/10/there...t-devices.html

The Windows devices can run Linux distros.
More options! 8" Topjoy Falcon. More info here:

https://liliputing.com/2018/10/first...ni-laptop.html
__________________
DebiaN900 - Native Debian on the N900. Deprecated in favour of Maemo Leste.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,655 | Thanked: 14,938 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#24
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Do they have to? Was it not you bemoaning folks no longer being adventurous in the other thread?
Do you have any money to waste? Time to waste?

Last I checked, you're the person that has constantly stated that you will never buy anything brand new. How does this affect you unless it lands in the Sell threads here or on eBay months/years after its release?

Adventurous means the established manufacturers. Not a purchase at my expense from some neophyte company that haphazardly put something together.

It should not be adventurous for the buyer and unknown manufacturers is an adventure I will never go down unless they have tons of promise and a clear communication into their processes to replace the missing history of deliverables.

Simply stated: I will not suffer a broken device because it "looked cool" in 2018 by an unknown manufacturer. Feel free to vote with your money.

Some folks, including yours truly, avoided Nokia when it was big exactly because it was big.
You purchased when it got cheap. You've stated as much in the past.

It was the Microsoft of the mobile world. I may have missed on the Nxx0 series in the early days but... I could never have been able to afford them anyway.
Exactly my point about your input thus far.

On the other hand, I decided to be adventurous and go for a little known brand called Palm. I never regretted it. I used the same device for 9 years. The best UX of all time, unrivaled by anything to this day. No awkwardly placed keys (right, wicket? ), every UX element thought through to the last detail and for maximum efficiency. Why does no one learn? There is an existing example of how things can be done well yet everyone keeps reinventing the wheel. Badly.
Palm was quite known in the US - I'm assuming you were not aware of how deeply entrenched Palm was during the time of the Treo 650 and forward.

Psion was a relative unknown in the US, yet I was an owner. Why? Because it was a quality device and they were very easy to work with, inquiries about service and warranty service were always replied to in a timely manner. They fulfilled the one thing that

Not sure what your point was attempting other than being contrarian to be honest. No device that's been released lately came from a major manufacturer. Pyra, GPD, so forth...
__________________
gerbick | Jolla Tablet | iPhone X [ 256GB iOS 12.1 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 256GB iOS 12.1 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,574 | Thanked: 17,375 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#25
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Last I checked, you're the person that has constantly stated that you will never buy anything brand new.
Minor correction, never (again) buy anything crowdfunded. I burned my fingers too many times. As far as I remember, you stated the same.

Also, define "new". I am not in the position to buy something as soon as it comes out but after three months, when the price goes down a bit... and I find a use for it, rather than buying it just for the novelty factor... who knows?
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,655 | Thanked: 14,938 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#26
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Minor correction, never (again) buy anything crowdfunded. I burned my fingers too many times. As far as I remember, you stated the same.

Also, define "new". I am not in the position to buy something as soon as it comes out but after three months, when the price goes down a bit... and I find a use for it, rather than buying it just for the novelty factor... who knows?
Kudos. Buying something like that goes against your constant banter that you'll not buy something new. Nothing against that sentiment, in fact I find wisdom in it.

But nothing so far has really shown me that it's worth it as of late. And nothing we want seems to be on their radar. Just the garage projects.

I am not here for that any longer.

And no. I will not define the word or the overly semantic view of "new". That's bollocks. You know what it means. Or you do not. You've used that word, so approach it as you meant it in the past. It's not a hard word to grasp.
__________________
gerbick | Jolla Tablet | iPhone X [ 256GB iOS 12.1 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 256GB iOS 12.1 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
Ken-Young's Avatar
Posts: 371 | Thanked: 1,565 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
#27
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I'm not sure about that.
I mean, yes, it looks nice, but although I've never seen one in real life I always believed, that the tilting display would be rather impractical. When I hold my N900 it's actually a good thing, that there's no angle between display and keyboard.[...]
I've got an n950, and it really is very, very nice. Much more solid feeling than the n900, because of the aluminum case. It feels as good as any 2018 flagship phone that I've touched.

I can barely stand to look at it though, because of the thoughts of what might have been.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,469 | Thanked: 6,095 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
#28
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I'm not sure about that.
I mean, yes, it looks nice, but although I've never seen one in real life I always believed, that the tilting display would be rather impractical. When I hold my N900 it's actually a good thing, that there's no angle between display and keyboard.

Also, the keyboard looks like a chance not taken. My main complaint about the N900's keyboard has always been, how cramped it is. I would have really liked it to have one or two more rows, to make the keys a bit bigger (or to add space between them) and to have dedicated numbers keys.
The N950 adds a fourth row and space between the keys, but because it only has 11 keys per row (N900: 13), there is still not enough room for dedicated numbers keys.

Apart from the keyboard I still believe, the N900 is the pinnacle of smartphone hardware. It's just gotten old.
Fix the keyboard, put in half-decent modern hardware that runs on mainline Linux and I'll immediately buy it for 1k Euros!


A few more bucks and you can have an almost obsolete variant...
straight off the neo assembly line when they start production...
any day now
__________________
Lurker since 2007,
Member since 2013,
Certifiable since 1972

Rosa sum ergo spam sum....
I am pink, therefore I am spam

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.~ Austin O'Malley

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's , 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 has loose usb ( considering it for parts), 1 has no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors))
1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. Awaiting refund process.
3-nexus 5's : 1 with ̶L̶i̶n̶e̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶O̶r̶e̶o̶ ̶8.̶1̶ P̷l̷a̷s̷m̷a̷ ̷M̷o̷b̷i̷l̷e̷ Lineage oreo 8.1 (intend maemo leste when ready) , 1 with ̶U̶b̶u̶n̶t̶u̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶c̶h̶ Bliss OS, 1 with ̶P̶l̶a̶s̶m̶a̶ ̶M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶ Maru OS


PIMP MY N8X0
Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02.